This is the best 5 minute Instant Pot chili mac recipe that you and your kids will love! A classic old fashioned goulash style dinner packed with ground beef and noodles with that chili flavor you love. Dump all the ingredients into your Ninja Foodi or Crock Pot Express pressure cooker too and have a complete meal done in less than 15 minutes.
Our easy 5 minute Instant Pot chili mac recipe rocks! Chili mac and cheese is so easy to do and a perfect addition to our long list of Instant Pot recipes. (originally posted 3/17, participant in the amazon program, affiliate links present)
We have three kids which means macaroni is always in the house.
- We’re also huge chili lovers so it would only be reasonable to combine the two to make an easy dinner idea. That’s what we did and made this!
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Of course we add cheese to the top when it was done. That part is totally up to you though. We think everything is better with lots of cheese though y’all! 😉
We have made this 5 ingredient dump chili recipe for years and years you’ll have to make this week too.
If you don’t have this multi cooker kitchen appliance it is genius I tell you and I use it every night. That’s why I have so many recipes to share. lol
It is so simple and perfect to use in this cheesy chili mac recipe.
- I just added macaroni noodles and enough water for them to cook all together in the Instant Pot and it only took 5 minutes to cook!!!
- Seriously the easiest Instant Pot pasta recipe you will ever make.
- You can use the ingredients you love, make it spicy or mild so you love every bite.
Enjoy pinto beans more than kidney beans? Use those! Have a lot of ground turkey you want to use? That’s a great protein choice to use too!
Love diced bell peppers in anything called chili? Throw those in with everything else! I always say “use what you have on hand”!
Chili Mac in Instant Pot
- Pressure cooker
- If you have an Instant Pot I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot for this and future recipes.
- Ground beef
- this is how to defrost Instant Pot frozen ground beef in case you need it.
- I often times use 1/2 lb. beef and 1/2 lb. spicy ground sausage for LOTS of flavor and a bit of heat
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Kidney Beans
If I have a small can of diced green chiles I will usually add those too. Not to make it spicy but just add flavor.
- Elbow macaroni noodles
- or any small pasta works, I use what I have on hand really
- 1 pkg. chili seasoning (can use a pkg. of taco seasoning instead…still great)
- Chili powder
- just a bit for some heat, if you use spicy sausage I would omit this
- to top with, optional but so yummy
- we like Mexican blend
- Salt and pepper optional
Instant Pot chili mac
You can spice it up or add as much seasoning you’d like once you add the ground beef. Alternatively, you could use spicy ground sausage or 1/2 lb. of each for a medium spice level!
- Another version we’ve made is to make this cheesy chili mac too in our Ninja Foodi!
- If you only have an Instant Pot you can do something very similar by just stirring 1 cup of cheese in at the end.
For EXTRA cheesiness, you can then sprinkle another 3/4 of a cup of shredded cheese on to the top, put lid on ajar for 5 minutes so it can melt on top.
For us one packet of chili seasoning is just right! Of course you could use your own spice combinations but this makes it easy. My kids love it and it is a warm comfort food that’s perfect when it’s “chilly” outside or really year round.
I love easy recipes like this especially during the summer when the last thing I want to do is turn on my oven when it is 100 degrees outside!
Looking for more cheap Instant Pot recipes?
- Instant Pot orange chicken is a healthier version, not breaded but with tons of flavor
- 5 ingredient Instant Pot chili leaves the noodles out and is great on rice or baked potatoes for dinner
- Easy Instant Pot white chicken chili is a fun dish too the kids love
Want to make Crockpot chili mac?? We do that too!
If you like your noodles more al dente then set the time to 3 minutes, a bit softer for 4-5 minutes.
- Note – I have NEVER had issues with stirring everything (other than noodles) together. Others have had false burn notifications.
- If your pot is super sensitive like this I highly suggest you get a non stick pot for this and future recipes.
- It is a game changer and you will likely never get the burn notice again.
And as always, when removing the lid face it away from your face so you aren’t overheated by the steam.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Chili Mac Recipe
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 oz
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz.
- 1 can red beans 15 oz
- 1 c elbow macaroni uncooked
- 1 c beef broth or water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pkg. chili seasoning packet or 1 tbsp seasoning salt, or 1 pkg. taco seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder optional – more or less depending on spice level desired
- Turn Instant Pot to saute and add olive oil, onions, and ground beef.
- Brown meat until cooked. Turn off IP.
- Pour in your can of red beans (undrained), diced tomatoes, sprinkle in packet of chili seasoning, tomato sauce and stir together. Pour in your broth, then sprinkle noodles on top but do NOT stir!! Just gently push down to submerge noodles into the liquid but keep on top. (if you stir, you may get burn notice)
- Turn IP to manual, pressure, high, for 4 minutes (3 if you like noodles more al dente). Close steam valve.
- When done do a quick release and carefully open lid. Stir. Serve topped with cheese!!