Instant Pot sausage and rice is so good! A cheesy casserole packed with smoked sausage, tender rice and vegetables cooked all in one pot in no time at all.
If you and your family love cheesy comfort food this is going to go on your meal rotation!
Packed full of smoked sausage and creamy rice, it’s an easy dinner both adults and kids ask for again.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
- Can we talk about flavor for a minute here??!!
This pressure cooker sausage and rice dinner is PACKED full of it. How?? Well, you can see where it came from below.
Yep, smoked sausage. All you have to do is slice it into half moons and throw them right in.
We’re all about easy meals here on The Typical Mom blog. 😉
How is it SO easy? Well, this Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage (I bought at Kroger) is already fully cooked!
That means you just need to warm it up a bit really. I like to saute it just a bit with a little olive oil and diced onions before throwing in all the other ingredients so it gets golden brown.
It’s also packed full of traditional spices we all love in order to deliver exceptional flavor in anything it’s added to.
Have you tried it?? I first used it to make my slow cooker cheesy potatoes for brunch and I just couldn’t stop there.
Instant Pot sausage and rice
- Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage – cut into half moons
- could choose andouille sausage for some heat
- Olive oil
- White rice – uncooked, long grain
- Beef broth
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Cheese – shredded sharp cheddar is best
- Garlic salt and pepper
- Cajun seasoning could be added for a bit of heat
You’ll start by sauteeing the first 3 items together to brown the outsides of your sausage pieces just a bit.
This is not a necessary step, but I recommend doing it to get a bit of caramelization on the meat. Makes it so darn yummy.
Then you’re going to add in your vegetables, condensed soup and beef broth. You can do this two ways:
- I like to whisk the broth and cream of mushroom soup together in a separate bowl, and then pour that into my pot.
You could just dump it all in and stir together to remove the lumps too. I just think it is easier to use a whisk and smooth it out separately beforehand.
Don’t get me wrong, I have done it both ways especially when I’m in a hurry. It works no matter what. I just like to share my experiences with you and give you several options. 😉
What is important to know when making anything with Instant Pot white rice:
- Make sure you deglaze your Instant Pot after browning your meat. If you don’t you may receive the burn notice on the screen.
- You are going to use uncooked white rice. Long grain or Jasmine is my preference.
Rice casseroles cooked in a pressure cooker need to be layered with the rice sprinkled on top!
- It is important that you DO NOT stir all the contents after you add your uncooked rice.
- If you do it will likely trigger the burn message, and will stick to the bottom which will be difficult to get off.
- Sprinkle it in when you add the rice on top of all your other ingredients.
Then just use a spoon to gently submerge it into the top of your liquid. Following this last direction will ensure that your Instant Pot casserole will come out perfectly every time!
Now let me share the basic steps to follow:
Time needed: 12 minutes.
Instant Pot sausage and rice casserole
First you’re going to add the oil and diced onions into your pot. Set to saute. A 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot or any brand of pressure cooker will work. Add the sausages cooking until browned on the outsides.
Pour a bit of your both into the pot and scrape any stuck on pieces off or your pot may say BURN when it’s preheating or cooking.
- Mix ingredients
Turn your pot off and add your frozen vegetables. In a bowl whisk together your condensed soup and remaining broth until smooth. Pour that in too.
- Gently add in rice
Sprinkle in your rice on the top and gently submerge into the liquid. Do NOT stir!
Close lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 9 minutes.
Then allow for a 3 minute natural release. Followed by a quick release
Take lid off, stir in half the cheese and let it rest for 10 minutes to thicken. Then add other half on top, put lid on and let it sit for 5 minutes to melt.
Yes!! The cooking time is just that fast! It thickens a lot as it sits too and is great the next day as leftovers. Just microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between to reheat it.
Once it is done it’s time for LOTS of cheese!!
- Can you leave out the cheese? Yes, but ummmm it’s pretty amazing with it. Totally your choice really. Look at this spoonful!
What can you serve with this Instant Pot sausage recipe?
I don’t really serve anything with it but you could add:
- More steamed vegetables
- Sliced baguette
- Side salad
So what are you waiting for??
- Head to your local Kroger store and grab a package of Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage so you can make this Instant Pot recipe this week!
- Then try our Instant Pot beef stew casserole like this cheesy Instant Pot chicken broccoli rice dish.
With this air fryer sausage and potatoes dish, and make a menu for the whole week!
They will have all the other ingredients there too, all you have to do is print the recipe below. Take it with you so you don’t forget a thing and let us know what you think!
Instant Pot Sausage and Rice
- 1 pkg Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup 10 oz
- 1 c mixed vegetables frozen
- 1 c white rice uncooked, long grain
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 c beef broth
- 1 c cheese sharp cheddar, shredded, more if desired
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste keep in mind smoked sausage has a lot of flavor already in it so may not be necessary, add at end to taste
- Put pressure cooker on saute and add olive oil. Then slice sausage into half moon pieces. Put these and your diced onion into your pressure cooker.
- Cook just until sausage is lightly browned on the outsides. Then turn pot off. Add 1/4 cup of your broth into your pot and scrape with a wooden spoon to get any stuck on pieces off = deglazing your pot.
- Sprinkle in all of your seasonings and your frozen vegetables.
- In a bowl whisk together the remaining broth with your can of cream of mushroom soup until smooth, pour this into your pot.
- Stir all contents together.
- Sprinkle uncooked rice on to the top but DO NOT STIR. Just gently push down so it is submerged into the liquid.
- Put lid on, close steam valve and set to high pressure for 9 minutes. Then allow to naturally release steam for 3 minutes before letting out remaining steam with a quick release.
- Add in 1/2 of your cheese and stir gently into rice casserole. Allow to rest with lid off so it thickens for 10 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and place lid back on for 5 minutes so cheese melts. (even if you don't add extra cheese, let it sit for at least 10 minutes with lid off to thicken up)
- Serve and enjoy!