Slow cooker cheesy potatoes are a great breakfast, brunch or dinner too! Using bagged shredded potatoes it is simple to throw together in the morning and be ready for brunch. Like our Crockpot potato soup with frozen hashbrowns this one is thicker, cheesy with diced sausage and a hearty meal your while family will love.
Looking for some comfort food? Our slow cooker cheesy potatoes with sausage is going to hit the spot! Using bagged frozen potatoes makes it so easy even my teen can throw this one together. Who can resist ooey gooey crockpot recipes anyway. Not us! (originally published 8/18, affiliate links present)
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes Shredded
You can use shredded or diced hashbrowns, onions and kielbasa for this one. It is sure to put your brunch menu over the top this year. Kinda’ similar to our Crockpot funeral potatoes (without the chips), you’ll likely get “what is the recipe” when you serve this one.
If you have been following my blog and recipes from quite some time now you know I love dump meals made in one pot. We are a busy family so if I can prep something we can love eating later in the morning it is a win in my book, this is one of those.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Crockpot Potato Casserole
If you’ve been following The Typical Mom for any length of time you know I’m known for my Instant Pot recipes. Yes this fancy pressure cooker does have a crockpot function on it, I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s best to just use your good ol’ pot from years past, it will do a much better job.
- Just pop all the ingredients in your slow cooker
- Add diced bacon
- Throw in leftover ham, that is absolutely great
- Or leave out the meat entirely, totally up to you of course
I have made a version of this with sliced russets that are fresh too. That was incredible but in experimenting thought that it really did come out better baked in the oven. You can try our ground beef casserole with potatoes instructions. You can add any sort of cooked meat into that one too.
Crockpot Cheesy Hashbrowns
It really is a dump and go one pot meal with all the things you need off of the food pyramid right. 😉 It doesn’t matter what brand you use, store brand is the same as more expensive ones. It’s potatoes y’all……
- This is a great way of how to cook frozen hashbrowns – previously frozen and defrosted or frozen shredded
- sharp cheddar cheese is our favorite
- could use a mix of white and American
- Smoked sausage link – cut into half moons
- I typically dice up a yellow one
- 2% or whole makes it creamier than if you only have fat free
- Can of cream of chicken soup
You could use canned or homemade cream of mushroom soup if you preferred those flavors.
Yes you could use shredded russet real potatoes but bagged hash brown potatoes comes out really well and the prep is next to nothing. We make this often for Christmas morning.
- It really can be thrown in the night before and have your timer set to start around 4 am, to be ready by 7.
Alternatively you could cook on low for 5 hours to make this cheesy potato recipe in your crock pot.
Slow Cooker Potato Casserole
Have all of your ingredients prepped and ready beforehand. If you use the items I suggest all you need to do is slice your sausage and maybe grate your cheese. Typically I buy that bagged and already shredded too for a super easy family dinner.
- Spray the inside of your crockpot with non stick spray for easier clean up. You can also put melted butter on a paper towel and rub on the inside so the contents don’t stick as much
Put sliced kielbasa pieces, onions, 2 cups of your cheese, hash browns, and salt and pepper to taste. If you’re using a spicy or really flavorful sausage there aren’t a lot of other spices needed for flavor.
Stir together gently. In a bowl or large measuring cup whisk together your milk and condensed soup until smooth. Pour that in. Sprinkle remaining cheese on the top of everything.
Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low. cooking time varies depending on your crockpot and how tender you like your potatoes. This turns out great just like that! Let me show you a few pictures of this in progress so you get the idea.
Timing shared ensures defrosted hashbrown potatoes are tender. If dicing your own real potatoes it will probably take a bit longer. If you go this route I would highly suggest stirring the contents halfway through to make sure all the pieces are cooking evenly. Shredding is always the best bet to get them small and evenly cut.
How do you shred raw potatoes?
First you’d need to peel the potatoes and wash in cold water. Then using a cheese grater, shred the potatoes on to a paper towel, or a few. Squeeze out the moisture over the sink. Put into your crockpot with all other ingredients for this dish or to make our hamburger hashbrown casserole with sour cream.
If you’d prefer to make slow cooker cheesy potatoes without meat that is fine too. I would not adjust the timing in this case.
I would not recommend a blender but a food processor can work well if it is large enough. It is better to do them by hand because of the high water content but it is your choice if you’d like to try.
What main dish goes with cheesy potatoes?
Seriously, this is the perfect side dish or brunch item! Everyone will love it for sure.
- You could make a side dish of air fryer corn
- Or cheesy Instant Pot cauliflower has been a real hit
- Steamed broccoli is always easy, or you can make it in 1 minute with this Instant Pot broccoli recipe
If roasted carrots are more your style, that’s a good vegetable side dish too.
We hope you love this crockpot recipe of ours and can find other family meals here on The Typical Mom blog too that you enjoy.
- You can make this version in your oven too following our cheesy potato casserole recipe here.
Or make this crockpot breakfast casserole recipe too. It is a hearty brunch item for large get togethers too. Use what you have on hand but bacon works great for this one. Using frozen bagged hash browns it has a bit less prep time, but then again turns out a bit softer. Have you added something else to your slow cooker cheesy potatoes that you love? Let us know so we can try that!
If you’d rather use sausage like you see here, just swap one for the other. Nutritional facts including calories and saturated fat are listed below. Keep in mind it is calculated with exact ingredients below.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
- Add defrosted hash browns, kielbasa, onion, and 2 c of your cheese into a greased crockpot. Mix together gently.
- In a separate bowl whisk together your cream of chicken soup and milk. Then pour this over your hashbrown mix.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of everything and close lid.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for approx 5 hours.