Slow cooker cheesy potatoes are a great breakfast, brunch or dinner too! Cheesy with diced sausage it’s a hearty meal your while family will love for sure.
Looking for some comfort food? Our slow cooker cheesy potatoes with sausage are going to hit the spot! Filled with tender hashbrowns, onions and kielbasa it is sure to put your brunch menu over the top this year. Who can resist ooey gooey crockpot recipes anyway. Not us! (originally published 8/18, affiliate links present)
If you’ve been following The Typical Mom for any length of time you know I’m known for my Instant Pot recipes. Yes this fancy pressure cooker does have a crockpot function on it, I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s best to just use your good ol’ pot from years past, it will do a much better job.
- Just pop all the ingredients in and enjoy this….
Crockpot potato casserole
It really is a dump and go one pot meal with all the things you need off of the food pyramid right. 😉
Crockpot cheesy hashbrowns
- Hashbrowns – previously frozen, defrosted
- sharp cheddar cheese is our favorite
- Smoked sausage link – cut into half moons
- Cream of chicken soup
Yes you could use shredded russet real potatoes but bagged hash brown potatoes comes out really well and the prep is next to nothing. We make this often for Christmas morning breakfast because it could be thrown in the night before and have your timer set to start around 4 am, to be ready by 7. Alternatively you could cook on low for 5 hours to make this cheesy potato recipe in your crock pot.
Basic steps for making this super easy slow cooker potato casserole:
Have all of your ingredients prepped and ready beforehand. If you use the items I suggest all you need to do is slice your sausage and maybe grate your cheese. Typically I buy that bagged and already shredded too for a super easy family dinner.
- Spray the inside of your crockpot with non stick spray for easier clean up. You can also put melted butter on a paper towel and rub on the inside so the contents don’t stick as much.
- Put a kielbasa, onions, 2 cups of your cheese, hash browns, and salt and pepper to taste. If you’re using a spicy or really flavorful sausage there aren’t a lot of other spices needed for flavor.
- Stir together gently.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup whisk together your milk and condensed soup until smooth. Pour that in.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on the top of everything. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
- cooking time varies depending on your crockpot and how tender you like your potatoes.
- This turns out great just like that!
Timing shared ensures defrosted hashbrown potatoes are tender. If dicing your own real potatoes it will probably take a bit longer. If you go this route I would highly suggest stirring the contents halfway through to make sure all the pieces are cooking evenly. Shredding is always the best bet to get them small and evenly cut.
How do you shred raw potatoes?
First you’d need to peel the potatoes and wash in cold water.
- Then using a cheese grater, shred the potatoes on to a paper towel, or a few.
- Squeeze out the moisture over the sink.
- Put into your crockpot with all other ingredients for this dish or to make our hamburger hashbrown casserole with sour cream.
- If you’d prefer to make slow cooker cheesy potatoes without meat that is fine too. I would not adjust the timing in this case.
Can you shred potatoes in a blender or food processor?
I would not recommend a blender but a food processor can work well if it is large enough. It is better to do them by hand because of the high water content but it is your choice if you’d like to try.
Seriously, this is the perfect side dish or brunch item! Everyone will love it for sure.
If you’re making this for dinner you might ask what main dish goes with cheesy potatoes?
- You could make a side dish of air fryer corn
- Or cheesy Instant Pot cauliflower has been a real hit
- Steamed broccoli is always easy, or you can make it in 1 minute with this Instant Pot broccoli recipe
- If roasted carrots are more your style, that’s a good vegetable side dish too.
We hope you love this crockpot recipe of ours and can find other family meals here on The Typical Mom blog too that you enjoy.
- Try breakfast for dinner sometime with this or our ground beef casserole with potatoes. Your kids will love you for it!
- You can make this version in your oven too following our cheesy potato casserole recipe here.
Or make this crockpot breakfast casserole recipe too. It is a hearty brunch item for large get togethers too. Use what you have on hand but bacon works great for this one. Using frozen bagged hash browns it has a bit less prep time, but then again turns out a bit softer.
Have you added something else to your slow cooker cheesy potatoes that you love? Let us know so we can try that!
If you want to make this in the oven as a casserole you can follow our ground beef casserole with potatoes recipe. If you’d rather use sausage like you see here, just swap one for the other.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
- Add defrosted hash browns, kielbasa, onion, and 2 c of your cheese into a greased crockpot. Mix together gently.
- In a separate bowl whisk together your cream of chicken soup and milk. Then pour this over your hashbrown mix.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top of everything and close lid.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for approx 5 hours.