This hamburger hashbrown casserole with sour cream recipe is the perfect brunch or Christmas morning breakfast idea! Hearty meal we love year round.
I’m a sucker for breakfast. I could eat it for dinner most nights quite honestly and this cheesy hamburger hashbrown casserole with sour cream is one of our favorites! Perfect year round but also great if you’re serving brunch and a great addition to our Christmas morning spread of goodies we snack on all day long. You can make it with any kind of meat really but we used frozen meatballs this time. It is a great leftover ham casserole too as you can stuff it full of what you have left and make one final dish out of it that gets you away from “another ham sandwich?”. 😉 This is definitely one of our favorite quick and easy casseroles.
Casseroles to me are great, and the perfect way to use leftovers of any kind really. I always have cheese and cream of mushroom in the house, I tend to keep a bag of frozen meatballs in the freezer for spaghetti or a dish like this one so it’s easy to whip together…my style. We have had this for dinner too a few times and the kids love it. It’s a complete meal all by itself and the perfect comfort food for all ages.
This is what you’ll need to make this cheesy hamburger hashbrown casserole with sour cream:
- Bag of frozen hashbrowns – I typically use this one
- Bag of frozen meatballs – precook your own, or use leftover ham or turkey (we used these)
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Sour Cream
This time you can see I kept the ground beef meatballs whole, but cutting them into quarters works really well especially if kids are going to be eating it so they are bite sized! It is really wonderful after Easter using our leftover ham as well, we make this and our little turnover leftover ham recipe then as well to use it ALL up.
It is a great breakfast, or occasionally we make breakfast for dinner and it’s super easy to throw together. If you love easy dishes like this one we have used these same frozen meatballs to make these Instant Pot Dr Pepper barbecue meatballs that are a great appetizer or quick meal if you’re heading out the door really fast.
If you’re looking for more easy breakfast casseroles these are great too:
- crockpot breakfast casserole recipe
- Instant Pot breakfast casserole
- Crockpot cinnamon roll monkey bread
Here’s the printable easy hamburger hashbrown casserole recipe and how we make it:
Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole with Sour Cream
- Leave meatballs and hashbrowns on the counter for 1-2 hrs. or until they are mostly defrosted (or use microwave at half power for 1 minute at a time, stirring in between until they are mostly defrosted).
- Empty hashbrowns and all other ingredients except 1 c. of your cheddar cheese, chives, and your meatballs. Stir well.
- Fold in meatballs (can cut them into fourths or leave them whole...or use leftover ham instead).
- Dump mixture into a baking dish and put it into the oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until bubbly and warm.
- Sprinkle the last cup of shredded cheese on the top and put back into the oven for 10 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with remaining chives and serve!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉