This easy Swedish meatball casserole recipe will bring you back to your childhood. Much easier and quicker to make than you may imagine, this creamy comfort food is topped with the crispy onions you love. If you love Swedish meatballs you’ll love it with pasta.
I decided to combine my two favorites things for dinner last night, we called it easy Swedish meatball casserole. It took no time at all to make. Just one of our quick and easy casseroles. Sponsored by Cooked Perfect Meatballs (originally published 6/17, affiliate links present)
- Traditionally my grandma made her own meatballs from scratch, and although those were delicious I just don’t have time for that step.
Using frozen meatballs, I can whip up this easy comfort food casserole up in just fifteen minutes.
Throw it in the oven to bubble up while I was busy doing laundry or playing a game with my kids! 😉
Swedish meatball casserole
- Cooked Perfect Meatballs – frozen, bagged
- Crispy fried onions
- or make your own homemade fried onions
- Egg noodles
- Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- Non stick cooking spray
Or use ground beef to make meatballs and precook before adding into your baking dish.
You can typically find these frozen meatballs in your local grocery store though. They’re in the freezer section. Buy a few bags while you’re at it and try our pressure cooker frozen meatballs recipe later.
Just three minutes in the microwave warms the entire bag up. Add them to your creamy sauce, then into a casserole dish and top with crispy fried onions. You’re ready to pop it in the oven now for just twenty minutes.
Time needed: 35 minutes.
Swedish Meatballs Casserole
Boil egg noodles on the stovetop until al dente, and defrost your meatballs.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large pot over medium high heat, add butter, broth, cream, Worcestershire sauce, cream and dijon mustard. Stirring constantly add 1 tbsp of flour at a time and whisk in so it is smooth.
Whisk in sour cream until smooth, then add mushrooms if you want to add them. Add defrosted or precooked meatballs, then your al dente noodles. Gently stir to combine, cook 3-5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir. Pour into casserole dish and put fried onions on top. Bake for about 20 minutes until top is golden brown.
If you’re a busy mom like me who loves hearty, feel-good meals you’ve got to try this easy Swedish Meatballs Casserole recipe. You won’t be disappointed.
Using these make busy mom’s lives easier one bag at a time. Try our easy beef stew casserole next and let me know which one is your favorite!! 😉
- Crockpot spaghetti and meatballs is easy enough.
- This meatloaf muffin recipe is really fun for the kiddos.
- it’s one of our favorite muffin tin recipes
- Meatballs have never been easier to make.
Want to make this without the noodles, quick??!! Try our Instant Pot Swedish meatballs next!
Here are some questions you might have before you get started:
1. Meatballs with sweet and sour sauce is simple
2. By themselves with a side of pasta like butter noodles
3. Alone topped with cheese
4. Pull apart bread is a great side dish
5. White rice or quinoa
6. Air fryer vegetables
7. Meatball soup
Of course sauce is the biggest part of the flavoring component that sets these two apart. Italian meatballs are typically served in a tangy tomato sauce (marinara).
Swedish meatballs are cooked in a rich, creamy gravy made with beef or bone broth and sour cream.
Nutritional daily values are based on the recipe cards calculations. I cannot guarantee how accurate they are.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Easy Swedish Meatball Casserole
- Boil egg noodles until a bit al dente, drain and set aside.
- While you are boiling your noodles; in another pot warm butter until melted, then add broth, olive oil, cream, worcestershire sauce, diced onion, dijon, and salt together.
- Whisk in flour 1 tbsp at a time.
- Whisk in sour cream, allow to start boiling. Add mushrooms if desired.
- Empty bag of Cooked Perfect Frozen Meatballs on to a large plate or bowl so they aren’t overlapping.
- Put meatballs in microwave for 1 minute, turn them over, put in for 1 more minute, turn them over, then microwave for 1 more minute.
- Add meatballs to your sauce mixture and bring to a low boil again.
- Add your slightly al dente egg noodles in with your sauce and meatballs and stir gently. Bring to a low boil again and keep on stovetop for 3-5 minutes.
- Dump contents in pan into a casserole dish and sprinkle with crispy fried onions.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve!