This easy beef stew casserole is comfort food at it’s finest!! Packed with tender meat, a thick sauce and lots of vegetables you and your kids are sure to have seconds! Use stew meat or ground beef to make this simple casserole that may become your new family favorite meal.
If you’re a busy mom like me you love a good casserole recipe! My favorite is this easy beef stew casserole recipe we make regularly! It’s on the top of our list of quick and easy casseroles! Adjust as you wish according to the vegetables you love but potatoes, celery, onions, and carrots are a must in our beef stew. (originally published 2/17, affiliate links present)
A close second is this easy Swedish meatball casserole made earlier this year.
- After I made this one I got to thinking about our other favorite meal of ours, it had to be our beef stew.
- It only makes it better adding noodles and fried onions though!
Beef Stew Casserole
Here are the instructions as well as a video below showing you how to make beef stew casserole at home.
- You want to dice your vegetables up like you see here, the thicker the carrots the more turgid they’ll be.
Next I cut the beef stew meat into very small bite size pieces (the smaller the more tender they will get, you can substitute with ground beef too if you prefer). I like lean meat, or trim fat off while I’m dicing the meat.
Then pre-cook (boil) the egg noodles just so they’re slightly al dente (they will cook more in the oven).
- Add small beef pieces with olive oil, brown outsides, and simmer all ingredients together in a large pot on medium high heat.
- Then whisk a bit of beef broth in a small bowl with a packet of beef stew seasoning until it’s smooth.
- Then I add my egg noodles, stir, and pour it all in my baking dish.
- You could probably use a dutch oven instead of a casserole dish too.
- After 30 minutes of baking I take the foil off and sprinkle with crunchy fried onions and put back in for 5 min. to get crispy. (yes the ones you put on green beans, so good)
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, serve and enjoy!
Now on to the detailed directions below so you can make this easy beef stew casserole yourself!
Easy beef stew casserole
- Stew meat
- or dice up any type of beef or steak
- you could even use ground beef if you’d rather
- Egg noodles
- Packet of beef stew seasoning
- Beef broth
- French’s canned onions
OR you can make your own crispy fried onions!
If you love carrots but not fond of celery, then just add more of those. If you like them really soft then make sure to slice your carrots thinner, or thicker.
- The larger the vegetables are the firmer they will be once this is done. The ones you see here turned out soft but not mushy which is how I prefer them.
Same goes with your potatoes. I dice those pieces so they are nice and soft when this beef stew casserole is one, and topped with some green onions or chives it’s just an amazing comfort food I am sure your whole family will love.
Looking for more casserole recipes?
- Beef stroganoff casserole can be made as well. A creamier version with sour cream and all the classic flavors you love in one dish.
- We love this Instant Pot hamburger casserole. It’s warm and creamy using cream of chicken or mushroom soup and lots of cheese and rice.
- You can make a similar version of this following our Instant Pot beef stew casserole instructions.
Slow cooker stew is another method of cooking.
What is the difference between a casserole and a stew?
I feel like you can call anything whatever you want really but the distinction between the two is the cooking process.
A stew or chicken stew is where heat is applied to the bottom of the pot, over a fire or on a stove, versus a casserole that is generally baked in the oven.
- They are both one pot meals where you can throw in ingredients you have on hand and love it.
- Keep in mind that the smaller the pieces of meat and veggies are the more tender they will become.
Thus I make beef pieces small, and vegetables larger so they don’t fall apart.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Easy Beef Stew Casserole
- Cut up your carrots and celery. Skin all or half the skins off your potato and dice into small pieces. Dice your onion.
- Cut your beef stew meat pieces into smaller pieces (in half or 3 pieces each)so they get nice and tender when cooking.
- Toss beef stew meat in flour using a baggie so outside is coated.
- Add olive oil to a pot and add your stew meat.
- Brown the outsides, then add your beef broth.
- Keep on medium heat so it begins to boil.
- Add all of your vegetables and stir.
- In another bowl add your beef stew seasoning mix and scoop some of your warm beef broth into that bowl. Whisk together well.
- Pour this mixture into your pot and stir. Allow to boil for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate pot on the stove add your 4 c. of uncooked egg noodles and cook until al dente.
- Drain and add noodles to beef stew pot, stir.
- Pour beef stew / noodle mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish and cover with foil.
- Put into the oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle crispy fried onions on top.
- Bake uncovered for 5 minutes.