This easy beef stew casserole is comfort food at it’s finest!! Packed with tender meat, a thick sauce and lots of vegetables you and your kids are sure to have seconds! Use stew meat or ground beef to make this simple casserole that may become your new family favorite meal.
If you’re a busy mom like me you love a good casserole recipe! My favorite are filled with vegetables, meat and a rich sauce like the easy Swedish meatball casserole I made earlier this year. After that I got to thinking and another favorite meal of ours had to be even better if made into a casserole, and that is how this easy beef stew casserole recipe came about! Seriously….it is now on the top of our list of quick and easy casseroles! Adjust as you wish according to the vegetables you love but potatoes, celery, onions, and carrots are a must in our beef stew. For the sauce I cut my prep time by quite a bit by using a premade mix. Here’s what you do. (originally published 7/17, affiliate links present)
Here are the instructions as well as a video below showing you how I make it at home too.
- You want to dice your vegetables up like you see here, the thicker the carrots the more turgid they’ll be.
- Next I cut the beef stew pieces of meat into very small bite size pieces (the smaller the more tender they will get, you can substitute with ground beef too if you prefer)
- I pre-cook (boil) my egg noodles just so they’re slightly al dente (they will cook more in the oven).
- I simmer all my ingredients together and whisk a bit of beef broth with a packet of beef stew mix.
- Then I add my egg noodles, stir, and pour it all in my casserole dish.
- After a while in the oven I take the foil off and sprinkle with crunchy fried onions and put back in for 5 min. to get crispy.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Now on to the detailed directions below so you can make this easy beef stew casserole yourself!
If you love carrots but not fond of celery, then just add more of those. If you like them really soft then make sure to slice your carrots thinner, or thicker if you like them on the more turgid side. The ones you see here turned out soft but not mushy which is how I prefer them.
Same goes with your potato. I dice those pieces so they are nice and soft when this beef stew casserole is one, and topped with some green onions or chives it’s just an amazing comfort food I am sure your whole family will love.
Here’s the printable recipe to make this easy beef stew casserole
This easy beef stew casserole is comfort food at it's finest!! Packed with tender meat, a thick sauce and lots of vegetables you and your kids are sure to have seconds! Use stew meat or ground beef to make this simple casserole that may become your new family favorite meal.
- 1 lb beef stew meat or ground beef if you prefer
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 carrots
- 1 med. potato
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 c flour
- 4 c egg noodles uncooked measurement
- 1 packet beef stew seasoning mix 1 oz
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 c beef broth
- 1 c fried onions
Cut up your carrots and celery. Skin all or half the skins off your potato and dice into small pieces. Dice your onion.
Cut your beef stew meat pieces into smaller pieces (in half or 3 pieces each)so they get nice and tender when cooking.
Toss beef stew meat in flour using a baggie so outside is coated.
Add olive oil to a pot and add your stew meat.
Brown the outsides, then add your beef broth.
Keep on medium heat so it begins to boil.
Add all of your vegetables and stir.
In another bowl add your beef stew seasoning mix and scoop some of your warm beef broth into that bowl. Whisk together well.
Pour this mixture into your pot and stir. Allow to boil for about 5 minutes.
In a separate pot on the stove add your 4 c. of uncooked egg noodles and cook until al dente.
Drain and add noodles to beef stew pot, stir.
Pour beef stew / noodle mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish and cover with foil.
Put into the oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle crispy fried onions on top.
Bake uncovered for 5 minutes.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉