This creamy easy beef stroganoff casserole recipe is totally amazing!! Baked in the oven and total comfort food that even my kids love. Topped with those crispy fried onions you love it’s like beef stroganoff on another level. Give it a whirl and let us know what you think!
OH MY goodness, can I just tell you how good this easy beef stroganoff casserole recipe is??!! It’s now on our list of quick and easy casseroles I refer to often when I need some simple ideas. (originally published 3/17, affiliate links present)
Creamy Beef Stroganoff Casserole
As with any sort of casserole I threw a few things together with the stew meat I had in the fridge that needed to be cooked and it came out amazing! That is basically how I cook. We buy meat in bulk at the beginning of the year and work out way thru it. At the end we usually make a lot of stew meat recipes like this one.
- Stroganoff to me is just a warm comfort food that reminds me of my grandparents, and packed with flavor.
I have made crockpot beef stroganoff for years using the basic recipe I used here but thought I’d make it into a casserole this time so it didn’t have to cook all day. Honestly I prefer this one because the flavors are just so spot on and it’s a one pot meal that’s easy to clean up after too.
If you’ve never made beef stroganoff before it’s quite simple. Really the base ingredients are stew meat, sour cream, beef broth, and egg noodles.
Since I was making a casserole I wanted it creamier so I added cream of mushroom soup to it as well. It added a really creamy texture.
I hadn’t topped it with the onions in my slow cooker recipe because it really wouldn’t work that way. But in the oven it was seriously amazing topped with crispy fried onions.
Beef Stroganoff Casserole Recipe
- Stew meat (this is what I use) or beef tips
- Egg noodles
- Fried onions
- or make your own crispy fried onions
- Condensed mushroom soup
- or use 10 oz. of homemade cream of mushroom soup
- Sour cream
- Minced garlic
- Beef broth (here’s a small can)
- Prepared baking dish (spray with non stick spray)
Sprinkle on a bit of salt and pepper at the end to taste. You can always season at the end but can’t take away excess so don’t use too much. With the condensed soup and onions you already have a decent amount of sodium in just those 2 ingredients.
I only added a pinch of salt because of that and the fact that my husband has high blood pressure so I use it sparingly, but season to your liking. It’s an easy beef casserole that can be served as is or with a side salad and you’re set!
My kids love this one I guess because I’ve been cooking it for years but really like this casserole version because of the added creaminess and crunchy onions on top. If you wanted to add veggies into the mix I would suggest corn kernels or halved green beans. Either frozen or fresh those would work and cook at the same rate.
Ground Beef stroganoff casserole
- If you have an Instant Pot you can make our pressure cooker beef stroganoff casserole too. This one is almost identical but has a much shorter cook time.
- One thing that is different though is we use ground beef instead of stew meat in this one. A bit more kid friendly and cheaper.
If you haven’t gotten into the pressure cooker kick it is a game changer. You can then make meals like this one in a fraction of the time. I am talking something that would normally bake for 30 minutes would take closer to 5, I’m not kidding.
Looking for more easy casserole dishes? We have a bunch but just decided to share a few that reminds us of this one to make on a cold evening and enjoy together.
- You’ll love our Stuffed pepper casserole that is deconstructed and easier to make than the “old school” version.
- We love this Shepherds pie with ground beef dish
- Enchilada lasagna casserole is super yummy too with tortillas in a deconstructed sort of way so it’s easier to make than the traditional.
Swedish meatball casserole is killer if you love those flavors, we’ve even made Instant Pot Swedish meatballs before.
Here’s a quick step by step but I have a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post as well:
Time needed: 35 minutes.
Beef Stroganoff Casserole
- Prepare noodles
Put on a pot of water to boil your egg noodles in. When noodles are done al dente, set aside.
- Brown meat
In another pot over medium high heat heat olive oil, add garlic, onions, and stew meat. (cut stew meat into small bite size pcs. before adding, or add ground beef if you prefer)
Brown meat on all sides but you don’t need to cook more than that since it is going in the oven. (drain if you’re cooking ground beef)
- Add ingredients
Add your mushrooms and cook for a minute or two together. Reduce heat and add in cream of mushroom soup, broth, and sour cream and stir. Allow to simmer for a minute.
Add your worcestershire sauce, stir, and then add your cooked egg noodles. Stir, add a pinch of salt to taste.
- Preheat and prepare
Spray a casserole dish with non stick spray. Pour beef mixture into 9×12 dish. Cover with foil and cook in preheated oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Remove foil, sprinkle fried onions on top and cook for about 5 more minutes just until they get golden brown.
Cooking time is a total of 30 minutes or so. You don’t have to add fried onions on top but boy are they good. Pour into a bowl and serve or use same dish on a trivet.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Easy Beef Stroganoff Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb stew meat cut into bite size pieces, or you can use a lb. of ground beef
- 3 c egg noodles measured uncooked
- 1/3 onion diced
- 1 1/2 c mushrooms I use baby bellas
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 c beef broth
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 c sour cream
- 1 c French’s crispy fried onions
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Put on a pot of water to boil your egg noodles in. When noodles are done, set aside.
- In another pot heat olive oil, garlic, onions, and stew meat. (cut stew meat into smaller bite size pcs. before adding, or use ground beef if you prefer)
- Brown meat on all sides but you don’t need to cook more than that since it is going in the oven. (drain if you’re cooking ground beef)
- Add your mushrooms and cook for a minute or two together.
- Add cream of mushroom soup, broth, and sour cream and stir.
- Allow to simmer for a minute.
- Add your worcestershire sauce, stir, and then add your cooked egg noodles.
- Stir, add a pinch of salt to taste.
- Spray a casserole dish with non stick spray. Pour stroganoff contents into 9×12 dish, cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove foil, sprinkle fried onions on top and cook for about 5 more minutes just until they get golden brown. Serve.
Monday 17th of January 2022
Flavor hack: boil the noodles in the stock, add to sauce mix when noodles aren't quite done so by the time everything simmers together the noodles at perfect.
Saturday 3rd of April 2021
What size can of cream of mushroom soup?
The Typical Mom
Saturday 3rd of April 2021
Regular, 10 oz.
Monday 30th of November 2020
My family loves Stroganoff and I love this because it’s simple and really tastes good. Thanks so much!
Monday 16th of December 2019
I cook the stew meat on low with a couple cups of beef broth for 6 hours. Then mix the meat in at the end with the noodles. Very tender.
Saturday 28th of October 2017
Don't like fried onions... would this be good with cheese on top?