Pressure cooker stroganoff casserole has all the great flavors of traditional beef stroganoff but takes a fraction of time to cook and uses ground beef! Get out your Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi and make it!
This pressure cooker stroganoff casserole is great! We added it to our long list of Instant Pot recipes too. Beef stroganoff was a staple for me growing up, but using ground beef is so much easier. This post sponsored by Campbell’s. (originally published 2/19, affiliate links present)
Cooking everything (even our uncooked noodles) together in our pressure cooker means it was done start to finish in about 20 minutes! Crazy right?
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
The really fast method where you enjoy it straight out of the pot – creamy, delicious, and sure to get major YUMs from everyone in your family
- Taking it one step further by adding crunchy fried onions to the top and sticking it under the broiler to crisp up, or in your Ninja Foodi using air crisp at 400 degrees for a few minutes
- This seriously takes this beef stroganoff casserole OVER THE TOP from delicious to OH MY!
We choose to take it a step further but really either way will please everyone at your dinner table.
Ok, so what we use is simple. That is the way I cook. I have 3 daughters, work full time (as a food blogger, yeah!!), and want to create delicious meals in under 30 minutes.
- That’s where my Instant Pot and Campbell’s soups come into play!
Here are a few questions you might have before getting started:
We will show you how to make Instant Pot hamburger stroganoff right here! With egg noodles, ground beef, condensed soup and broth it comes out perfect every time.
A pinch of salt and black pepper, diced onion, minced garlic, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, broth and sour cream are the basics.
Greek yogurt can be substituted for sour cream if needed. Use equal amounts and choose plain vs. a fruit flavor.
The easiest and most obvious answer is seasonings. Onion and garlic powder are great, I like adding additional salt and pepper to the top once it’s done. Spicy mustard can add some heat too.
The best way to amp up the flavors in this dish are to add all the seasonings you love into the ground beef mixture. Taste along the way at that time and adjust if needed.
You can always add more, but it’s hard to take it away so use a light hand.
Pressure cooker stroganoff casserole
I like this method better than the stovetop method because:
- Everything can be cooked together in one pot – traditionally I cooked my egg noodles separately, just eliminates a step
- Using my pressure cooker cuts down on the overall cook time – I love being able to throw everything in and walking away until it is done
- Making this in a slow cooker wouldn’t turn out as well with the noodles (in my opinion)
Because anything called a casserole always gets a thumbs up in my house – total comfort food y’all
Ground beef stroganoff
This is why we love this one more than the “traditional method”. My kids prefer lean ground beef vs. small cubed stew meat
- Ground beef is a great meat to use in casseroles. It breaks up into smaller pieces and soaks up a lot of flavor
- Using the saute function when pressure cooking and a quick release makes it done in no time at all. It will stay nice and tender too
- Hamburger is more inexpensive so when I am adding to my list of cheap pressure cooker recipes cost is a factor
With that being said, if you really prefer to use beef we do have an Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe you can follow as well.
Ingredients are similar yet we cooked the noodles separately because beef takes longer to cook in your pressure cooker to get really tender.
Instant Pot stroganoff casserole
- Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi
- 1 can Campbell’s® Cream of Mushroom Soup
- or make it homemade
- Bag of egg noodles – I prefer extra wide noodles
- Pound of ground beef – could substitute ground turkey or sausage as a twist
- Add the onion if you like, it’s great for texture
- 1 pkg. whole mushrooms
- 2.5 c. beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1 c. canned or homemade crispy fried onions
- Green onions – optional
- Sour Cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
If you need a dairy free stroganoff you can omit the sour cream at the end, it’s still super yummy without it. I would really suggest coating the top with those onions you love at Thanksgiving time. It takes this over the top!!
Instant Pot ground beef stroganoff
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Pressure cooker stroganoff casserole
Set pressure cooker to saute and add ground beef and diced onion. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Then drain grease and put pot back.
- Add ingredients
Sprinkle in garlic salt and stir. In a separate bowl whisk together your can of cream of mushroom soup, worcestershire sauce, and broth until smooth.
Sprinkle in quartered mushrooms, then pour your bag of uncooked egg noodles on top of your mushrooms. Pour your broth mixture over the top of them. Do not stir mixture.
Close lid and steam valve. Set to high pressure for 2 minutes, then then release the pressure quickly. (3 minutes if you like your noodles on the softer side)
- Stir in ingredients
Now stir in 1/2 – 3/4 c. of sour cream, or serve as is with a dollop of sour cream on top.
If adding fried onions transfer the casserole mixture from the pot into a 9×9 oven safe dish and sprinkle onions over the top. Can add green onions too.
Using an oven: put under broiler for 3-4 minutes or until onions are light brown.
For Foodi: close air crisp lid on Ninja Foodi and cook at 400 degrees for about 4-6 minutes or until crispy onions are as brown as you’d like. Serve with or without sour cream dollop on top.
Looking for more easy Ninja Foodi / pressure cooker recipes that are quick and easy to make.
Some are more recipes using Campbell’s soups:
- Pressure cooker hamburger casserole is cheesy goodness
- Use pork to make pressure cooker chili verde
- Instant Pot ground beef and rice is great
- If you have chicken on hand, try our Instant Pot chicken and rice recipe.
- My pressure cooker cheesy chicken spaghetti is always a hit
- This pressure cooker sausage and rice casserole has a kick to it and is oh so good
- Hamburger hash brown casserole is great for breakfast
If you want to make this in the oven, follow our easy beef stroganoff casserole recipe here.
Detailed step by step directions and ingredient list is below. You can print recipe if you’d prefer, or just come back time and time again to make it. If you add any other extras to the dish let us know so we can try it too.
Pressure Cooker Stroganoff Casserole
- Set pressure cooker to saute and add ground beef and diced onion. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Then drain grease and put pot back.
- Add garlic salt and stir. In a separate bowl whisk together your can of cream of mushroom soup, worcestershire sauce, and broth until smooth.
- Sprinkle in quartered mushrooms, then pour your bag of uncooked egg noodles on top of your mushrooms. Pour your broth mixture over the top of them.
- Do not stir mixture. Close lid and steam valve.
- Set to high pressure for 2 minutes, then do a quick release. (3 minutes if you like your noodles on the softer side)
- Stir in 1/2 – 3/4 c. of sour cream, or serve as is with a dollop of sour cream on top. Or omit the sour cream entirely, totally up to you.
- If adding fried onions transfer the casserole mixture from the pot into a 9×9 oven safe dish and sprinkle onions over the top. Can add green onions too.
- Using an oven: put under broiler for 3-4 minutes or until onions are light brown, or close air crisp lid on Ninja Foodi and cook at 400 degrees for about 4-6 minutes or until they're as brown as you'd like. Serve with or without sour cream dollop on top.