This is a really easy Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe! It’s as creamy as you remember from your childhood but made fast! Total comfort food made in your pressure cooker in a fraction of the time it used to.
I have been crazy busy creating lots of easy Instant Pot recipes on The Typical Mom and this easy Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe just had to be next! This is a meal I remember my grandmother making when I was a kid. Total comfort food that is creamy, packed with vegetables (if you want), and the tenderest beef ever when you use your pressure cooker. (originally published 5/17)
I will tell you I have made crockpot beef stroganoff for years but when I got my Instant Pot last Christmas I haven’t used my crockpot very much at all because I can get everything made so much quicker in this new all in one appliance!
This is what you will need for this easy Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe:
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- Beef stew meat – you could use ground beef if you prefer and just drain after cooking
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Or make homemade cream of mushroom soup
- Sour cream
- Beef broth
- Egg noodles – I like this style
- Vegetables (if you want – I add onions, carrots, and mushrooms)
Why we love cooking beef stroganoff in our pressure cooker
- The meat comes out incredibly tender in a short amount of time
- There’s no need to stand by the stove and ensure it doesn’t burn, your Instant Pot will do all the work for you
- The flavors soak into your vegetables and meat during the pressure cooking process to create a creamy/tender meal all of us love
My kids aren’t real fans of red meat, other than hamburger. It is mostly due to the texture and it being a bit tough.
When you make this the beef it becomes really soft and tender though. Soaking up all the sauce and juices in just 15 minutes, it’s perfect for our busy lives.
- If you do not have a pressure cooker I would highly recommend one. It has allowed us to eat together more often and I cook more often and healthier traditionally too.
Here are a few other family friendly recipes I know you’ll love too:
- This pressure cooker stroganoff casserole is amazing
- Easy beef stroganoff casserole recipe
- Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni is always a fave
This is what it comes out looking like!
It’s almost better the next day, so needless to say if you have leftovers (we rarely do) you’ll have a great lunch waiting for you. 😉
Why I cook the egg noodles separately
- The beef needs a good 15 minutes to cook and become as tender and I want it, that is far too long for any style noodle to be cooked in a pressure cooker.
- My husband prefers to have the noodles cooked separately (I have cooked casseroles with everything together like with our Pressure cooker Dorito casserole. The girls and I love that but he prefers separate.
- My youngest sometimes wants plain noodles so that option is open using this method.
Here’s the printable recipe for this easy Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe and a video showing you how we make it.
Easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 lb beef stew meat can use ground beef too if you prefer, just drain after cooking in step one
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 onion
- 1 pkg mushrooms
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c beef broth
- 1/3 c sour cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 bag egg noodles
- 1/2 tsp salt (more salt to taste when serving)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Put your Instant Pot on saute and add your olive oil and garlic
- When warm add your beef stew meat and onions (either diced or cut into chunks).
- Stir until meat is browned on all sides
- Add mushrooms cut into halves, cut carrots, and even celery if you want to add some of that. Stir
- Add can of cream of mushroom soup, salt, and beef broth, stir.
- Put the lid on your Instant Pot or pressure cooker and set to manual, pressure, high, for 15 minutes. Start to boil your egg noodles on the stove now.
- Do a slow release and carefully lift lid
- Set Instant Pot to saute and put some of that liquid in a small bowl with your cornstarch, whisk together until smooth
- Pour back into your pot and stir.
- Add your sour cream, stir
- Allow mixture to bubble and thicken a bit in your pot for a few minutes
- Serve beef stroganoff over cooked egg noodles, salt to taste!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉