This is a really easy Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe! It’s as creamy as you remember from your childhood but made fast! Total comfort food made in your pressure cooker in a fraction of the time it used to.
This easy Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe is our favorite! Total comfort food that is creamy, packed with vegetables (if you want), and the tenderest beef ever when you use your pressure cooker. Just one of the easy Instant Pot recipes on The Typical Mom blog. (originally published 5/17, affiliate links present)
This is just such a classic meal right?? If you’re looking for an easy Ninja Foodi recipe that pot works just as well too. 😉
We have a bunch of Instant Pot stew meat recipes but this one is probably a fave for sure.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
I will tell you I have made crockpot beef stroganoff for years but when I got my Instant Pot last Christmas I haven’t used my slow cooker very much at all recently.
- Now the cooking time is so much faster in this new all in one appliance!
This is a great recipe listed on our roundup of Instant Pot beef recipes, you should try a few of those after this one. 😉
Beef stroganoff ingredients
- Instant Pot , Ninja Foodi, Crockpot Express or any other brand of pressure cooker
- I suggest that everyone get this non stick pot to avoid the burn notice
- Beef stew meat – you could use ground beef if you prefer and just drain after cooking
- The smaller the pieces the more tender the beef will be
- Beef tips work great too
Then you’ll need:
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Or make homemade cream of mushroom soup
- Sour cream
- Beef broth
- Egg noodles – I like this style
- Vegetables (if you want – I add onions, carrots, and mushrooms)
- Minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste of course, I add a touch while cooking and re-season at the end.
Typically, it’s made with more tender cuts which decreases the cooking time. You may want to try beef tenderloin, cubed sirloin steak, or stew meat. Leftover cooked beef can also be used.
You can use a flour and water mixture, I prefer cornstarch myself. This will thicken this popular dish very quickly! Sour cream will make it a bit thicker as well but more so as it sits and cools. Stir this in until mixture is smooth and enjoy.
These are the steps you take:
Time needed: 15 minutes.
InstaPot Beef Stroganoff
Set your pot to saute and add olive oil, meat and onions to bottom of the pot. Brown the outsides of your meat, then turn your pot off and deglaze the pot.
- Add ingredients
Add large chunks of vegetables you like into the pot now, we used halved mushrooms and carrots. In a bowl whisk together your beef broth, cream of mushroom soup and seasonings until smooth.
Some like to include some Worcestershire sauce and/or dijon mustard into the mix too. Add this into your pot.
Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 15 minutes. If your meat is cut very small, 12 minutes would suffice. Do not do a quick release, rather move the steam valve ever so slightly so it comes out slowly.
- Saute again
Lift lid, set pot to saute again. Add some hot liquid into small dish with cornstarch and whisk until smooth, pour into bubbling pot and stir. Stir in sour cream and/or room temperature cream cheese until smooth and sauce has thickened.
Why we love cooking beef stroganoff in our pressure cooker
- The meat comes out incredibly tender in a short amount of time
- There’s no need to stand by the stove and ensure it doesn’t burn, your Instant Pot will do all the work for you
The flavors soak into your vegetables and meat during the pressure cooking process to create a creamy/tender meal all of us love
My kids aren’t real fans of red meat, other than hamburger. It is mostly due to the texture and it being a bit tough.
When you make this the beef it becomes really soft and tender though. Soaking up all the sauce and juices in just 15 minutes, it’s perfect for our busy lives.
- If you do not have a pressure cooker I would highly recommend one. It has allowed us to eat together more often and I cook more often and healthier traditionally too.
Here are a few other family friendly recipes I know you’ll love too:
- This pressure cooker stroganoff casserole is amazing
- Easy beef stroganoff casserole recipe
- Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni is always a fave
This is what it comes out looking like!
It’s almost better the next day, so needless to say if you have leftovers (we rarely do) you’ll have a great lunch waiting for you. 😉
Why I cook the egg noodles separately
- The beef needs a good 15 minutes to cook and become as tender and I want it, that is far too long for any style noodle to be cooked in a pressure cooker.
- My husband prefers to have the noodles cooked separately (I have cooked casseroles with everything together like with our Pressure cooker Dorito casserole. The girls and I love that but he prefers separate.
- My youngest sometimes wants plain noodles so that option is open using this method.
Easy Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe
Want to try something else with the same meat? Try our Instant Pot beef bourguignon too!
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Below is the printable recipe you can follow and enjoy with your family.
Easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 lb beef stew meat can use ground beef too if you prefer, just drain after cooking in step one
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 onion
- 1 pkg mushrooms
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c beef broth
- 1/3 c sour cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 bag egg noodles
- 1/2 tsp salt (more salt to taste when serving)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Put your Instant Pot on saute and add your olive oil and garlic
- When warm add your beef stew meat and onions (either diced or cut into chunks).
- Stir until meat is browned on all sides
- Add mushrooms cut into halves, cut carrots, and even celery if you want to add some of that. Stir
- In a bowl whisk together your can of cream of mushroom soup, salt, and beef broth, together. Then pour it into your pot and stir.
- Put the lid on your Instant Pot or pressure cooker and set to manual, pressure, high, for 15 minutes. Start to boil your egg noodles on the stove now.
- Do a slow release (meaning move your pressure release valve just slightly so steam comes out very slowly) and carefully lift lid
- Set Instant Pot to saute and put some of that hot liquid in a small bowl with your cornstarch, whisk together until smooth
- Pour back into your pot and stir.
- Add your sour cream, stir
- Allow mixture to bubble and thicken a bit in your pot for a few minutes
- Serve beef stroganoff over cooked egg noodles, salt to taste!