This cheesy stuffed pepper casserole is a family favorite for sure! Like unstuffed bell peppers it’s an easy casserole topped with lots of cheese you can throw together and even my kids love it! Packed with the classic flavors you remember it is easier to make and great the next day too.
Do you love stuffed green peppers too??!! Well if they’re a favorite in your house too (or if you’ve never tried them) you’ve got to try this cheesy stuffed pepper casserole recipe! Packed with of course bell peppers, tomatoes, rice, seasoned ground beef and more it is full of flavor and a perfect dinner that even my kids love! It’s kinda’ a throw it together one pot meal that you can make as spicy as you like, or add no spice at all (still amazing). Topped with cheese, with cheese inside too (there’s never enough) it’s one of our favorite quick and easy casseroles. (originally published 3/17)
When I married my husband he taught me how to make “his Grandma’s stuffed peppers” because he loved them so much. We all really liked them and it even got my daughters to really like bell peppers because of it.
I still make them quite often but because I was on a casserole kick this month I thought I should be able to create a sort of deconstructed bell pepper recipe in the form of a casserole….and here it is!!
It worked really well and I basically used the same ingredients in my original recipe to make it (with a few minor adjustments).
Like I said, everyone prefers a different level of seasoning and spice levels so adjust as you see fit before pouring it into your casserole dish to see if you want more, but this was perfect for our taste buds! This is such a great recipe in fact it was featured by Country Living online with several other of their favorite dishes!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Stuffed Pepper Casserole and a video showing how we made it
- Green peppers – use any colors you like
- Ground beef
- Diced tomatoes – I use petite
- Spaghetti sauce – or tomato sauce but spaghetti sauce lends to more flavor
- Cooked rice
- Mozzarella cheese
In the video above I added tomato sauce, in the instructions below I swapped out for spaghetti sauce because it added even more flavor. You can use either one but after a time or two we prefer spaghetti sauce if we have it on hand.
If you have a pressure cooker we also made this Instant Pot pepper casserole you can try, there we did not precook the rice.
You basically precook everything but it all comes together when you pour it into your casserole dish and pop it in the oven. Everything melds together and the flavors really come out then.
Serve as is or with a side of salad or bread and you’re done!
If you love this easy stuffed pepper casserole you should try our
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 1 1/2 green peppers, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 c spaghetti sauce (or more at end if you prefer more sauce)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp seasoned salt, Lawry's
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder optional
- 2 c cooked rice
- 2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 c mushrooms, cut into fourths optional
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Put olive oil in a pot on medium heat.
- Add ground beef and brown, add diced green peppers and onions and simmer until they soften a bit.
- Add all other ingredients except the rice and cheese.
- Simmer everything for about 5 minutes until it reaches a slow boil.
- Turn heat off and stir in 1 cup of your cheese and your cooked rice.
- Spray a 9x12" dish with non stick spray and spoon mixture in.
- Put in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then top with last cup of cheese and put back in for 5 minutes. Serve!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉