This cheesy rice stuffed pepper casserole is a family favorite for sure! Like unstuffed bell peppers it’s an easy dinner you can throw together, even my kids love it! Packed with the classic flavors you remember it is easier to make and great the next day too.
You’ve got to try this cheesy stuffed pepper casserole recipe! Packed with of course bell peppers, tomatoes, rice, seasoned ground beef and more it is full of flavor and a perfect dinner that even my kids love! It’s one of our favorite quick and easy casseroles. (originally published 3/17, affiliate links present)
Do you love stuffed green peppers too??!! Well if they’re a favorite in your house too you’ll love this twist.
It’s kinda’ a throw it together one pot meal that you can make as spicy as you like, or add no spice at all (still amazing).
Unstuffed Peppers Casserole
When I married my husband he taught me how to make “his Grandma’s stuffed peppers” because he loved them so much. We all really liked them and it even got my daughters to really like bell peppers because of it.
- I still make them quite often but because I was on a casserole kick this month.
- I thought I should be able to create a sort of deconstructed bell pepper recipe in the form of a casserole….and here it is!!
It worked really well and I basically used the same ingredients in my original recipe to make it (with a few minor adjustments).
Like I said, everyone prefers a different level of seasoning and spice levels so adjust as you see fit before pouring it into your casserole dish to see if you want more, but this was perfect for our taste buds!
This is such a great recipe in fact it was featured by Country Living online with several other of their favorite dishes!
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Green peppers – use any colors you like
- Ground beef
- extra lean ground turkey would be fine
- Onion and garlic
- Diced tomatoes – I use petite
- Spaghetti sauce – or tomato sauce but spaghetti sauce lends to more flavor
- Uncooked rice
- white rice needs to be cooked before adding with other ingredients
- even cauliflower rice would probably be fine
- Mozzarella cheese
Spices listed below are just suggestions of course. Taste before adding into dish to see if you want to adjust.
In the video above I added tomato sauce, in the instructions below I swapped out for spaghetti sauce because it added even more flavor.
You can use either one but after a time or two we prefer spaghetti sauce if we have it on hand.
You basically precook everything but it all comes together when you pour it into your casserole dish and pop it in the oven. Everything melds together and the flavors really come out then.
Serve as is or with a side of salad or bread and you’re done!
- Our Mexican style enchilada lasagna casserole is delish
- For a lower carb meal, these zucchini noodles and shrimp are great
- Then give this slow cooker lasagna casserole recipe a whirl
- If you have a pressure cooker, try our Instant Pot crack chicken casserole for total comfort food on a fork.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Time needed: 40 minutes.
Stuffed pepper casserole
Put olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add extra lean ground beef, diced green peppers and onions and simmer until they soften a bit and meat is browned.
- Cook rice
On the stovetop or pressure cooker, put uncooked rice and water in and cook until tender. Long grain rice, white, or Instant Pot brown rice works quite well.
- Add ingredients
Add all other ingredients like salt and pepper, Italian seasonings if you like, spaghetti sauce etc. into the pot EXCEPT the cooked white rice and cheese. Stir to combine everything, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until it reaches a slow boil.
Turn heat off and stir in 1 cup of your cheese and your cooked rice.
You can serve at this time, or bake in the oven with more cheese.
Spray a 9×12″ dish with non stick spray and spoon mixture in.
Put in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then top with 1/2 cup to 1 cup of mozzarella or cheddar cheese and put back in for 5 minutes. Serve!
Jump to recipe below. It’s an easy recipe we love and make quite often. If you love stuffed peppers you’re going to love this!
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 1 1/2 green peppers, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 c spaghetti sauce (or more at end if you prefer more sauce)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp seasoned salt, Lawry’s
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder optional
- 2 c cooked rice
- 2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 c mushrooms, cut into fourths optional
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Put olive oil in a pot on medium heat.
- Add ground beef and brown, add diced green peppers and onions and simmer until they soften a bit.
- Add all other ingredients except the rice and cheese.
- Simmer everything for about 5 minutes until it reaches a slow boil.
- Turn heat off and stir in 1 cup of your cheese and your cooked rice.
- Spray a 9×12″ dish with non stick spray and spoon mixture in.
- Put in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then top with last cup of cheese and put back in for 5 minutes. Serve!