These easy Instant Pot stuffed peppers will be your favorite pressure cooker meal! Classic stuffed peppers with cheesy ground beef and rice, they’re packed with flavor and will bring you back to your childhood!
Have you steamed anything in your Instant Pot yet?? We hadn’t yet until we made these easy Instant Pot stuffed peppers! They turned out to be so simple! Special thanks goes out to Kitchen Deluxe for sponsoring this post so we could share one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes with you. 😉 (originally published 8/17, affiliate links present)
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
- If you don’t have a handy dandy vegetable steamer we will show you where to get this one.
- It makes it easy peasy to make this and other vegetables in your Instant Pot, and has a nifty and safe way to pull it out when it’s done too!
Instant Pot stuffed peppers
Normally you’d need to blanch bell peppers before continuing on but when you cook them in your pressure cooker you can skip this step!
- With my original stuffed green peppers recipe you have to take an extra step to blanche them but in your pressure cooker this step is eliminated!
They will be your “bowls” if you will.
- This is the Instant Pot vegetable steamer I was talking about! All 4 will fit perfectly inside a 6 qt. which is enough to feed our family. The recipe I will share with you is enough filling for 8, so two batches, of stuffed bell peppers.
- You can use any color you like, I just buy a variety to make it more “fun” for the kids, or whichever look best at the store.
You want it to sit flat and some are long and skinny without any real “legs” on the bottom so it will topple over…..no good.
Pick 4-8 of your favorite peppers at the store, cut off the tops, take out the seeds, and you’re ready to make the mix you’ll stuff them with.
Instant Pot stuffed bell peppers
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- we love making air fryer stuffed peppers too, try that next!
- Large bowl
- Cup of water
- Kitchen Deluxe Vegetable Steamer + use code TYPICALM for 15% off (safety handle included)
- Bell peppers
- Cooked rice – sometimes I use minute rice or make Instant Pot white rice first
- Ground beef (or ground turkey, or omit if you want vegetarian stuffed peppers)
- Spaghetti sauce – I like this type
- Onions (optional but adds flavor)
- Mozzarella cheese (optional but seriously it’s an amazing addition)
- Pinch of salt and pepper – to taste
- 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes is optional if you like it chunky, add into meat mixture
Here they are cut and cleaned out inside my Instant Pot vegetable steamer.
This is what I meant by the trick to lifting your steamer basket out safely and easily….this hook!
- This hook/rod comes inside the box with your vegetable steamer, and makes it SO much easier to lift, place on a plate, and serve…without needing an oven mitt. I am ALL about easy!
This is it for this recipe in particular. Here is a list of a few others I recommend though.
Yes, I have never done it otherwise and I don’t think it would work at all. SO there is a bit of precooking beforehand but it’s not bad at all. Well worth it in the end I tell you.
The peppers can be stuffed and refrigerated up to 1 day ahead. Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Pressure cooker stuffed peppers
Even if you aren’t a huge fan of peppers they serve as a great “bowl” for cooking your mixture. In an electric pressure cooker they soften perfectly in just 10 minutes cooked on high pressure with a quick pressure release.
Full of cheesy rice, meat, and tomato sauce with a tender bell pepper “bowl”. You can eat them during or after you’ve finished the filling. It is an entire meal wrapped up into one.
- My kids love these because everyone gets their own! Since the peppers are steamed inside your pressure cooker they lose their bitterness and are so soft. You can literally cut them with the side of a fork.
This is a great recipe for families I tell you! If your kids aren’t so sure about the peppers at first give it time. Allow them to just eat the insides first and eventually have them “try just one bite”. It took a bit but now my girls love the whole thing!
Looking for other Instant Pot recipes you will love?
- Instant Pot stuffed bell pepper casserole is a must make!
- This Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole is amazing I tell you.
- There are plenty more Instant Pot ground beef recipes here to try as well.
- Lots more listed in the best Instant Pot recipes here.
- If you love these you should try our air fryer breakfast stuffed peppers too!
How long can stuffed peppers sit out?
Once cooked the general rule is 2 hours at room temperature. Beyond that you should store leftovers in air tight containers in the refrigerator.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Easy Instant Pot stuffed bell peppers
- Prepare ingredients
Make rice at the beginning as this will take a bit of time. Set aside when done.
In a pressure cooker turn your pot to saute so you can precook your ground beef and onions until the meat is no longer pink.
- Mix together filling
Mix cooked meat, rice, seasonings and spaghetti sauce or diced tomatoes in a bowl.
- Prepare bell peppers
Slice tops off peppers and remove seeds from the inside.
Add water into your Instant Pot and lower down vegetable steamer basket. Place peppers that have been cleaned out into basket with opening facing up.
Add a bit of cheese into the bottoms, then fill with meat and rice mixture. Top with more cheese
Lock the lid and seal steam valve to closed. Set cooking time to 10 minutes on high pressure. Do a quick release when done.
Open the lid. Serve immediately for best results on a plate and enjoy.
Easy Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers
- Add a bit of olive oil. Turn your Instant Pot to saute, normal, and add your ground beef and onions.
- Make your minute rice on the stove or in the microwave. Cook until meat is no longer pink and onions soften.
- Pour into your pot the spaghetti sauce and cooked rice, stir.
- Turn Instant Pot off and remove pot. Empty contents into separate bowl and wash your pot.
- Return pot into your Instant Pot and pour in 1 1/2 c. water.
- Open your vegetable steamer basket and lower it into your Instant Pot.
- Cut tops off your bell peppers and remove seeds inside.
- Place 4 bell peppers into your steamer basket so they fit snuggly.
- Put a bit of mozzarella cheese into the inside, bottom, of each bell pepper.
- Spoon rice and ground beef mixture into peppers until each one is filled almost to the top.
- Put another bit of mozzarella cheese on the very top of each pepper on top of the rice mixture.
- Close your lid and steam valve and set to manual, pressure, high, for 10 minutes.
- When done do a quick release.
- Use central ring hook to lift vegetable steamer out of your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.