Creamy meatball casserole in Instant Pot is the best family friendly dinner. Use frozen meatballs or homemade, can be made on the stove too. Grab a bag of egg noodles and make our sauce, toss together and serve as a one pot meal tonight.
This is an easy way to make meatball stroganoff without cream of mushroom soup! Yes that is a convenient ingredient that makes sauces smooth but it is processed. You can make it similar all on your own and dairy free too if you need that option. One of our easy Instant Pot recipes. (affiliate links present)
Instant Pot Meatball Stroganoff
Ok so this was created after our Swedish meatball casserole was a hit in our house. I made that one on the stovetop and then transferred to a baking dish. Topped it with crispy French’s onions and browned those as an extra bang!! You could go that extra step to with this, or just top with the onions when served in bowls.
To make this even easier there is NO need to follow our frozen meatballs in Instant Pot timing, you can just throw everything in together!! You can see all the other ingredients below. Fresh mushrooms are optional. You could use canned but the texture isn’t as great, or leave out entirely. Small egg noodles work better than wide.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
Meatball Stroganoff Recipe
This one is super easy to make lactose free, you can find a Lactaid version of sour cream at the store, I do that all the time. Other than that you’re good to go. Stock is fine vs. broth, and if you absolutely insist on making our Meatball Recipe Without Breadcrumbs homemade you could.
You’d have to create them small and either saute with some olive oil until browned on the outside well so they don’t fall apart. OR better yet make small, bake in oven, cool, freeze, and use 4 cups for this recipe.
- 32 oz frozen meatballs – if you want to use hamburger, follow our Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 16 oz egg noodles
- 2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 48 oz beef broth
- 1.5 c sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
I have directions below on how to make this in a pressure cooker, and will explain the differences if you didn’t have that machine. There will be more prep necessary and it will take quite a bit longer if you go with method two but the outcome will be just as delicious.
Stroganoff with Meatballs
Meatball stroganoff casserole on the stove is possible. You will want two different pots, or you could reuse the one you use to boil the pasta if you really wanted to. Start by bringing a pot of salted water to a rolling boil, then add noodles. Stir and once they are al dente, drain and set aside.
- Then in an empty pot on the stovetop you’ll want to follow the other steps.
- Add meatballs, with the same steps as below but your pasta will already be softened.
- Instead of setting the lid on and using high pressure you will just let the contents start to bubble together over medium heat.
- You will cook together until the meat is as tender as you’d like them to be. Then serve!
Serve in bowls as is or with our copycat Frenchs crispy fried onions sprinkled on the top. Another small dollop of sour cream is another great option. Diced chives works too to add a bit of color to this normally brown brown dish. 😉
I have made this easy meatball stroganoff another way too, with stew meat and rice! Yep, I threw that in with a few other ingredients and made a sort of beef stew casserole that was a huge hit, with carrots too.
Ninja Foodi Meatball Stroganoff
You can make this as a Ninja Foodi recipe too. If so you’ll want the lid that is NOT attached and the pressure cook button. Crockpot Express is another popular brand that works the same as this IP.
- Place frozen meatballs into the pot of the electric pressure cooker.
- Top with uncooked egg noodles and then the sliced mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with the seasonings and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour the beef broth over everything. Do not stir.
- Place the lid on the electric pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing.
- Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
Quick release the pressure when the cook cycle is complete. Stir the sour cream into the pasta and serve. Ready to jump to recipe? We have other ideas you can consider below as far as substitutions go.
Pressure Cooker Meatball Stroganoff
Other options you could consider; Use turkey meatballs or chicken for lower fat options. Beef stock works the same as broth. You could make this without the noodles at all. There will be great sauce when done and instead serve it over a bed of mashed potatoes!! Leave the cooking time the same either way.
How do you make leftover casserole not dry?
Reviving this or our Dairy Free Beef Stroganoff and preventing it from becoming dry requires careful reheating techniques and the addition of moisture-rich ingredients. Here are some steps you can take to ensure your leftover casserole remains deliciously moist:
1. How to Reheat Leftover Casserole
- Reheating a casserole in the oven: If you have a larger portion of casserole, consider reheating it in the oven. Preheat your oven to a low temperature (around 300°F or 150°C) and cover the casserole with aluminum foil to prevent further drying. Reheat the casserole for about 20-30 minutes or until warmed through.
- Reheating a Casserole in the Microwave: For smaller portions, the microwave is a quick option. To prevent drying, cover the casserole with a microwave-safe lid or microwave-safe plastic wrap, leaving a small vent for steam to escape. Heat in short intervals, checking and stirring as needed.
You definitely want to add moisture before you reheat if at all possible. One effective method to add moisture is to drizzle a bit of sauce or broth over the casserole before reheating. This can be a gravy, tomato sauce, cream sauce, or even a simple chicken or vegetable broth. The liquid will infuse into the casserole, preventing dryness.
- If your casserole has a creamy component, such as cheese, sour cream, or yogurt, these ingredients can help maintain moisture. Stirring in a bit of extra cheese or a dollop of sour cream before reheating can work wonders.
- Adding cooked or steamed vegetables, folded in, can provide both moisture and flavor. Vegetables like spinach, zucchini, or bell peppers can release moisture as they reheat.
- If your it is tomato-based, adding a bit of tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, or even a splash of tomato juice can help retain moisture.
If your casserole has dried out, gently drizzle a small amount of liquid (broth, sauce, or even water) over the top before reheating. This will help rehydrate the dish as it heats. As you reheat the casserole, occasionally stir or fluff the contents to evenly distribute moisture and prevent hot spots.
All use a lid or foil when reheating in the oven or microwave, covering the casserole with a lid or foil helps trap moisture and prevent further evaporation.
Monitor time and temperature meaning, be cautious not to overheat the casserole, as excessive heat can cause further drying. Heat until the casserole is warmed through, not until it’s excessively hot.
Fresh additions you could add to the top would be fresh herbs, chopped scallions, or a sprinkle of grated cheese added just before serving can add a burst of flavor and moisture.
By carefully reheating your leftover casserole and incorporating moisture-enhancing ingredients, you can revive the dish and enjoy it without the worry of dryness. Experiment with these techniques and adjustments to find the best approach for your specific casserole recipe.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
- Place frozen meatballs into the pot of the electric pressure cooker. Top with uncooked egg noodles and then the sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with the seasonings and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour the beef broth over everything. Do not stir. Place the lid on the electric pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure when the cook cycle is complete. Stir the sour cream into the pasta and serve.