Dairy free beef stroganoff on the stove in a cast iron skillet is delicious. You can use ground beef if you’d rather like our Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff with mushrooms in a thick gravy. Served over egg noodles is a family friendly one pot meal.
We first made beef stroganoff casserole with stew meat, that was delicious. I don’t always want to use my oven, especially in the hot summer months. It is nice to have other cooking methods so on the stove was next on the list. NO baking required. (affiliate links present)
Dairy Free Stroganoff
Like I said, you can use ground or strips of beef for this one, both are delicious. The method we are using here is cooked on the stove in a skillet. We have made this also as a pressure cooker ground beef stroganoff recipe as well. Any of our creations can be made lactose free, and we make them often.
If you find that you all of a sudden have dietary requirements that means you cannot have milk, I agree it is a hard transition. We made the switch last year and have become used to it but just know that you don’t have to cut out all the delicious sauces. We’re here to help. As in our Meatball Stroganoff you can still make it with the same dairy free sour cream as we use here.
Beef Stroganoff Dairy Free
I will say the toughest thing to find an alternative to is condensed soups. I’ve bought a few powdered mixes online that are pretty similar, but not nearly as good. I suggest skipping those type of directions and go with ones like you will see here, without cream of mushroom soup entirely. You don’t need it.
- 1 lb beef about 2 steaks worth, sliced
- makes a great ground beef dinner idea too if you’d rather brown it ground vs. sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Mushrooms sliced
- Onion sliced
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 c beef broth
- 1/2 c sour cream dairy free, lactose free variety – Lactaid has a great one
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- some like a splash of worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard is popular too as a Russian dish
We will go over a few other ingredients you can use instead of sour cream below. Nowadays I can find the lactose free variety at almost every store I shop at. Just in case you can’t we’ll discuss alternatives below. I’d check with your local organic markets in town if you have a hard time finding it and really want to try this version specifically.
You can make this as a stew meat recipe too instead of ground if you’d rather. I’d cut into small bite size pieces in that case but use the same sauce ingredients.
Dairy Free Ground Beef Stroganoff
Now there are several dairy free alternatives to sour cream if you cannot find it at your local grocery store. There are several options available that can provide a similar creamy and tangy texture without the use of dairy products. Here are some dairy-free alternatives you can consider:
Dairy Free Stroganoff Sauce
- Full-fat coconut cream, extracted from canned coconut milk, can be whipped or blended to create a creamy texture similar but will be a bit sweeter. Make sure to use unsweetened coconut cream for savory dishes.
- Soaked and blended cashews can be transformed into a smooth and creamy cashew cream mixture that works well as a dairy-free sour cream substitute. Simply blend soaked cashews with water until smooth.
- Some brands offer almond milk-based yogurt that has a tangy flavor and creamy consistency similar to sour cream. Look for unsweetened and plain varieties.
- Plain, unsweetened soy yogurt is another option that can mimic the tanginess of sour cream. Be sure to choose a brand without added sugars.
- Oat milk yogurt is a dairy-free alternative made from oats. It can have a creamy texture and a slightly tangy flavor, making it suitable for use in various dishes.
- You can make dairy free buttermilk using a combination of 2 tbsp lemon or lime juice and 1 cup dairy-free milk (such as almond milk). Closest to heavy cream to make it nice and thick, your best bet if you cannot find sour cream.
- Combine and let sit for 10 minutes to create a tangy and creamy mixture that resembles a flavor.
- Nutritional yeast can add a tangy and cheesy flavor to dishes, making it a suitable addition to dairy-free sauces and dressings.
- Some dairy-free cream cheese alternatives can be used as a substitute. They offer a creamy texture and tangy flavor.
- Silken tofu can be blended with lemon juice or vinegar to create a creamy and tangy mixture that works well too.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff Dairy Free
When using these alternatives, keep in mind that flavors and consistencies may vary. You may need to experiment to find the one that best suits your taste preferences. Additionally, consider the thickness and texture required for your recipe, and adjust the dairy-free substitute accordingly.
Dairy Free Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Ok so you will want a large skillet for this. I like using cast iron but regular pan would work too with high sides. If you wanted to make this vegetarian you could swap out the meat for slices of large portabello mushrooms to make into a mushroom stroganoff recipe you’ll love. Follow the same steps and use vegan alternatives along the way.
Stroganoff on Stove top
- Beat the beef sirloin steaks (or varitey of your choice) on both sides with a meat mallet, and then cut into thin strips.
- Pan fry the beef in a hot skillet in the oil over medium high heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then transfer to a plate.
- Put the mushrooms and add the onions diced or sliced thin into the pan.
- Fry for 5-6 minutes, stirring with a spatula. Lower to low heat for this.
- Add all-purpose flour to the pan, stir and fry everything together for another 2 minutes.
- Pour the broth into the pan and mix thoroughly, breaking up all the lumps of flour. Bring to a boil. Add dairy free sour cream, salt and pepper to the pan.
- Stir and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the fried beef to the pan, mix and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Cover the pan with a lid. If there is not enough liquid, pour in more broth or water. Serve over egg noodles cooked separately.
Traditionally this is served over noodles but for lower carbs you could go with cauliflower rice too which is incredible. My kids don’t even know the difference really. 😉 Garnish with diced fresh parsley to add a bit of color and you have a wonderful 30 minute meal your family will love!!
To save leftovers you just want to make sure you keep all the sauce possible so it doesn’t dry out. Make sure the pasta and meat is nicely coated and store in an airtight sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Enjoying within 24 hours is ideal though. Reheat on a plate in the microwave for 1 minute, stirring halfway through.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Dairy Free Beef Stroganoff
- 1 skillet
- 1 cutting board
- 1 knife
- Beat the beef steaks on both sides with a meat mallet, and then cut into thin strips. Fry the beef in a hot skillet in the oil for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then transfer to a plate.
- Put the mushrooms and chopped onion into the pan. Fry for 5-6 minutes, stirring with a spatula. Lower to low heat for this. Add all-purpose flour to the pan, stir and fry everything together for another 2 minutes.
- Pour the broth into the pan and mix thoroughly, breaking up all the lumps of flour. Bring to a boil. Add dairy free sour cream, salt and pepper to the pan. Stir and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the fried beef to the pan, mix and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid. If there is not enough liquid, pour in more broth or water. Serve over egg noodles cooked separately.