If you want to feel like a superhero in your kitchen by cooking an entire meal in less than 20 minutes, this Instant Pot cube steak will do just that! Tender bites of meat smothered in a creamy mushroom gravy, a total winner.
I know you’re busy, aren’t we all??!! It’s hard to find time to cook a complete meal, and find time to spend together. BUT…..I have 2 good reasons to sit down as a family for the whole evening tonight! I’m here to share this easy Instant Pot cube steak recipe that even my non steak loving children thought was amazing, Definitely one of our favorite comfort food Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom.
Ready to try some Instant Pot cube steak with a mushroom gravy??
Here is where you start. It’s kinda’ fun pounding your beef out with this guy!
Have you ever actually made cube steak? Yes you can buy it already pounded out but oh the satisfaction of doing it yourself. 😉 You can leave the pieces whole but as with many of my other recipes I prefer to cut my meat into bite size pieces. It makes the meat more tender and easier for the kids to eat.
But…as with any recipe it comes down to personal preference.
We prefer subtle seasonings when it comes to our Instant Pot cube steak.
With a bit of seasoning but the mushroom gravy of sorts, it makes for a yummy meal. Make it your own I say!
Now I will explain below how to make this Instant Pot cube steak we serve over a bed of rice.
When it’s done give it a few minutes to rest in the pot.
Just like any other steak it tends to become more tender when it has a few minutes to rest.
This was my Thor inspired recipe after seeing the new movie. 😉 Can’t you tell.
This is what you’ll need to make this easy Instant Pot cube steak and have a movie night together with your family too!
- Cube steak
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Beef broth
- Rice + water or egg noodles to serve on the side
Instant Pot Cube Steak
- 1 - 1.5 lbs cube steak I used eye of round steak pounded flat, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 c flour
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- pinch pepper optional
- 1 pkg. mushroom gravy .75 oz. package
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 c beef broth or a bit more if you want it thinner
- Pound your eye of round steak with a meat tenderizer/mallet on both sides (helps make meat tender, can buy it at store already tenderized too).
- Cut into bite size pieces.
- Fill a gallon size storage bag with flour, garlic salt and pepper. Shake to combine.
- Set Instant Pot to saute medium and add olive oil.
- Put steak pieces inside baggie, zip closed and shake to coat pieces.
- When Instant Pot is hot use your fingers to take pieces of floured meat out of bag shaking off excess flour before putting it into the pot.
- Stir meat often and cook all pieces until they are lightly browned on both sides, then turn pot OFF/Cancel button - Important step!
- In a bowl whisk together cream of mushroom, mushroom gravy packet and beef broth.
- Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot where the beef has been cooked to remove pieces (helps so it doesn't come up with a burn message when you turn it back on, I typically wait 3-4 minutes after turning it off before turning it back on again to allow it to cool as well to avoid this message).
- Pour soup mixture into your pot, stir together gently, put lid on, and close steam valve.
- Set to pressure high for 4 minutes.
- Do a quick release. Serve over rice or as is. I usually sprinkle with a bit of salt when serving because everyone prefers a different amt. of salt. (this is the perfect "doneness" for us as far as our steak is concerned, if you want it more done set for a few more minutes)
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉