Air fryer chicken fried steak is a yummy comfort food that’s great for dinner or an appetizer. Crunchy finger food that’s tender inside and a gravy dip!
Who doesn’t love this southern fried food??!! Well if you’re looking for the same great taste with a fraction of the fat intake, try our air fryer chicken fried steak recipe! It’s one of our favorite air fryer recipes here on The Typical Mom. (originally published 9/19, affiliate links present)
If you’re Southern this is probably a regular meal in your home. If you’re not I am sure you love it too.
We made these into strips because they’re easier to eat.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
Of course you could leave the cubed steak whole, it would just take longer to cook. I personally think smaller bites turn out better to get the inside nice and tender while keeping a crunchy texture on the outside.
The seasonings for the breadcrumbs are totally up to you. Of course we share what we used down below so feel free to use those suggestions.
This is kinda’ the assembly line that is handy to have in order to bread and cook every piece.
Whenever I come up with an idea, I refer to my air fryer cooking times chart here to determine how long it will take to cook.
Of course you may need to adjust it slightly, but it is a great reference to start with. Just like my meatballs in an air fryer it eliminated the guess work once I got to that step and they were done perfectly.
Air fryer chicken fried steak
- Cubed steak
- Salt and pepper
- garlic and onion powder are good add ins too
- use seasonings you love
- Panko breadcrumbs
You’ll need 3 bowls or plates with tall lips on the sides too. If you can lay it all out on the counter it’s easier to coat, dip, coat and lay in your basket quickly.
What cut of meat is cube steak?
Cube steak is the name of a cut of beef. It’s usually top round or top sirloin that’s been tenderized and flattened by pounding with a meat tenderizer.
You can use an electric tenderizer to do this too.
What’s the best way to tenderize cube steak?
Use a meat mallet that is either metal or wooden. Cover your steak in a plastic bag or plastic wrap, and pound it thoroughly until the entire steak is covered with marks from the mallet.
Here are a few other questions you might have before you make this favorite air fryer fried steak of ours:
Well, this recipe is for homemade but if you want to make them out of the freezer just set to 400 degrees F for 11 minutes. Flip them halfway thru and leave in basket for 2 minutes when time it up.
Set to 350 degrees F for 4 minutes. Flip halfway thru the cook time and check to see if they’re warm enough to serve.
Here’s a peek at them once they’re done. Kinda’ like air fryer chicken tenders, but with beef instead.
You want to make sure to give them space inside the air fryer basket. Hot air is what will cook them and create a crispy outer layer you want.
If you crowd the strips the chicken fried steak strips won’t get as crispy as you’d like.
Why is it called chicken fried steak?
- It is prepared in the same manner as traditional fried chicken, but it’s made out of steak. Makes sense I guess right??!!
Some people would call this country fried steak. What’s the difference? Not much. One flour dusted and the other uses bread crumbs.
Since we used both I just called it this. 😉
- Air fryer ravioli is also a great appetizer or snack.
- If you love beef tips you can make those too in your handy appliance.
What side goes with chicken fried steak?
Traditionally you’d serve it with mashed potatoes if it’s served as a dinner.
If it’s a finger food appetizer then I’d have a bowl of gravy to dip them into.
Another option is vegetables!
- Air fryer cauliflower is a great side dish.
- I make Instant Pot broccoli often with this since it takes just 1 minute to cook.
Time needed: 11 minutes.
Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
Spray air fryer basket with non stick spray and preheat to 360 degrees.
Slice cubed steak into strips and season each piece with salt and pepper
In a shallow bowl or plate mix together your flour, dry mustard, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and smoked paprika.
Use a different bowl to whisk together your milk and egg.
On a third plate spread our your Panko bread crumbs.
- Coat meat
Use a fork and press into seasoned flour mixture, shaking off excess. Then dip into egg mixture and finally press into breadcrumbs on both sides until completely coated.
Shake off a bit of excess and put into air fryer basket.
Do this with enough pieces to fill basket without overlapping and leaving a bit of space in between them so they crisp up properly.
Spray meat in basket lightly with olive oil spray. Close drawer and cook at 360 degrees for 7 minutes. Open and flip each piece on the other side.
Continue cooking for 4 minutes and then check to see if you want them more golden brown. If so add a few more minutes until they’re done to your liking.
If making multiple batches, cover “done ones” with a paper towel to keep warm.
Air Fried Country Fried Steak
Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak
- Spray air fryer basket with non stick spray and preheat to 360 degrees.
- Slice cubed steak into strips and season each piece with salt and pepper
- In a bowl or plate mix together your flour, dry mustard, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and smoked paprika.
- In a different bowl whisk together your milk and egg. On a third plate spread our your Panko bread crumbs.
- Use a fork and press into flour mixture, shaking off excess. Then dip into egg mixture and finally press into breadcrumbs on both sides. Shake off a bit of excess and put into air fryer basket.
- Do this with enough pieces to fill basket without overlapping and leaving a bit of space in between them so they crisp up properly. Spray with olive oil spray lightly.
- Close and cook at 360 degrees for 11 minutes total. Open and flip pieces after 7 minutes. Continue cooking for 4 minutes and then check to see if you want them to crisp up more. If so add a few more minutes until they're done to your liking.