This is how to make Instant Pot popcorn that tastes great and is ready in just 5 minutes!! Easy to do in a Ninja Foodi too and tastes way better than microwave popcorn. It’s a fun pressure cooker snack your whole family will surely love!
If you haven’t caught the bug yet to try Instant Pot popcorn I’m telling you that you MUST! I am working to create lots of new Instant Pot recipes and this is the latest one I tried. Watch our video so you can make it too! (originally posted 1/17, participant in Amazon program)
- We have made it on the stovetop, in an air popper, and Ninja Foodi popcorn but our IP wanted a try too!
I think it’s a bit quicker than the “old fashioned” version too. You can use any brand you have at home.
Ninja Foodi Popcorn
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
The way you make popcorn in your Instant Pot is similar to the stove top version and how we’ve made it in the past.
I have been tinkering with mine since I got it and worked with what settings are best for meats, soups, and now popcorn!
Saute is what works for this recipe (and many others). This is what you’re going to need:
Popcorn in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot
- Instant Pot glass lid
- Coconut oil
- Popcorn kernels
This is how ours looked when we lifted the lid.
- Like I said, you’re going to use the saute function for this recipe and it’s done in about 5 minutes or so.
It tastes WAY better than microwave popcorn and is a lot healthier than adding all that fake butter into the mix.
First thing first you MUST use coconut oil or it will not work. You cannot substitute vegetable or olive oil as it won’t achieve the high heat you need for popping corn.
- I use coconut oil for lots of other things like melting chocolate so it will not go to waste other than using for this recipe.
- Use an Instant Pot glass lid before they start popping to protect yourself from splatters.
- Turn off the Instant Pot once about 3/4 of the kernels have popped so those don’t burn, more will continue to pop with the remaining heat.
- Careful when removing the lid, so so away from your face.
Put popcorn in a bowl and pour melted butter and salt on top, discard unpopped kernels.
I’m new to the Instant Pot so I didn’t have a lid, it is on it’s way now, so I used a glass lid from my large cooking pot that worked just fine but one that fit properly would be better so it didn’t slide around at all.
The kids loved watching it pop and it tastes really delicious!
Is microwave popcorn the same as air popped?
While microwave popcorn is typically higher in calories and sodium than the air popped variety, the main reason it’s less healthy is that it often contains trans fats.
- This one is a bit different than a typical air popper but still uses a similar method where by it’s made with very hot steam. .
Try all 3 methods and decide for yourself which one you like best
Part of why we love this is the taste. The other benefit is it is fun for the kids to make with me in the kitchen. Using the glass lid allows them to see it popping right before their very eyes which makes them smile.
If you love this, try out other easy Instant Pot recipes like:
- Instant Pot brownies
- Flavorful Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole
- If you want to try a quick treat you can try our 1 minute Instant Pot apple crisp too
- Pressure cooker corn dog bites are a fun after school snack to make
Please watch the popcorn recipe video first. It will help you succeed your first time around. Make sure to use coconut oil and kernels that are fresh and not old.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Popcorn in Ninja Foodi
Instant Pot Popcorn
- Set Instant Pot to saute, more (or high) setting.
- Add coconut oil and butter and allow to melt completely and start to sizzle (important step – watch video in this post for an example).
- Add popcorn kernels and stir so all kernels are coated with oil.
- Place glass lid on top and hold, popcorn will begin popping in about 2-3 minutes, turn off when 2/3 of kernels have popped and they will continue to pop but not burn.
- Carefully remove lid. Pour out of pot when done so they don’t continue to cook. Salt and you’re done!