This is how to make Instant Pot popcorn that tastes great and is ready in just 5 minutes!! Easy to do and tastes way better than microwave popcorn too. It’s fun to make at home and a great pressure cooker snack your whole family will surely love!
If you haven’t caught the bug yet to try Instant Pot popcorn I’m telling you that you MUST! I love pressure cookers period because they make my life so much easier, and meals cook SO much faster! I am working to create lots of new Instant Pot recipes and this is the latest one I tried. Here are instructions on how to make Instant Pot popcorn plus a video too! We have made it on the stovetop and in an air popper but this way was really fun and I think a bit quicker than the “old fashioned” version. Here are the directions. (originally posted 1/17, affiliate links present)
The way you make popcorn in your Instant Pot is similar to the stove top version and how we’ve made it in the past.
I have been tinkering with mine since I got it and worked with what settings are best for meats, soups, and now popcorn and saute is what works for this recipe (and many others).
These are the things you will need to make Instant Pot popcorn and a video showing you how I make it.
- Instant Pot
- I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot
- Instant Pot glass lid
- Coconut oil
- Popcorn kernels
This is how ours looked when we lifted the lid.
- Like I said, you’re going to use the saute function for this recipe and it’s done in about 5 minutes or so. It tastes WAY better than microwave popcorn and is a lot healthier than adding all that fake butter into the mix.
- First thing first you MUST use coconut oil or it will not work. You cannot substitute vegetable or olive oil as it won’t achieve the high heat you need for popping corn.
- I use coconut oil for lots of other things like melting chocolate so it will not go to waste other than using for this recipe.
- Use an Instant Pot glass lid before they start popping to protect yourself from splatters.
- Turn off the Instant Pot once about 3/4 of the kernels have popped so those don’t burn, more will continue to pop with the remaining heat.
- Careful when removing the lid, so so away from your face.
- Put popcorn in a bowl and pour melted butter and salt on top, discard unpopped kernels.
I’m new to the Instant Pot so I didn’t have a lid, it is on it’s way now, so I used a glass lid from my large cooking pot that worked just fine but one that fit properly would be better so it didn’t slide around at all.
The kids loved watching it pop and it tastes really delicious!
If you love this, try out other easy Instant Pot recipes like:
Here is a video showing you how we make Instant Pot popcorn recipe and the printable instructions are below:
Please watch the video first as it helps so you succeed your first time around. Make sure to use coconut oil and kernels that are fresh and not old.
Instant Pot Popcorn
- Set Instant Pot to saute, more (or high) setting.
- Add coconut oil and butter and allow to melt completely and start to sizzle (important step - watch video in this post for an example).
- Add popcorn kernels and stir so all kernels are coated with oil.
- Place glass lid on top and hold, popcorn will begin popping in about 2-3 minutes, turn off when 2/3 of kernels have popped and they will continue to pop but not burn.
- Carefully remove lid. Pour out of pot when done so they don't continue to cook. Salt and you're done!