This easy roll recipe needs just a few ingredients. A perfect side dish to any dinner, try these homemade yeast rolls and taste the difference.
I don’t bake homemade bread a lot, but I was bound and determined to come up with an easy roll recipe I loved. It needed to take only a few ingredients, use instant yeast, and come out as fluffy as ever. This. Is. It! My family loved them. (originally published 6/19, affiliate links present)
- We started baking bread at home with this bread in a bag recipe.
- It was a fun experiment I could do with my girls and it turned out really yummy too. Honey wheat is how I’d describe those loaves.
Then we went on to bake other homemade bread recipes with yeast, this one we made into dinner rolls.
During the holidays I want buttery fluffy white rolls. Store bought is okay. I’ll stop at that. There’s just nothing like these babies though.
Remember I said you’d need just 6 main items?
Easy dinner roll recipe
- Instant yeast
- making sure to measure flour properly, not scooping with your measuring cup
- heat milk so you have slightly warmed milk
Salt and slightly warm water are added too but I don’t really count those as ingredients since we all have them at home.
Thus, 6 main ingredients are necessary.
Just like any other baking project you’ll need to combine all the dry ingredients into a bowl with our cups of flour.
Then make a well in the center and add your oil and milk, then knead as you add in the water slowly.
- You may use all of the water listed in the recipe card, or leave a little left over. You’ll want to knead it until it is well combined and forms a ball of dough like you see here.
Differences will come depending on your altitude and the humidity in your kitchen. Thus, the variance.
Using your hands is best so you can really feel the consistency of the bread dough.
You could use a stand mixer and a dough hook on medium speed if you’d rather. Just make sure you scrape the sides of the bowl while you’re mixing.
- Instead of rolling the dough you’ll want to roll similar pieces into balls and place them into a springform or round pan.
- Make sure to spray it with non stick spray first so they lift out easily when done.
Then you’ll need to let it rise and ideally double in size.
- This will typically take 40 minutes to an hour. Don’t rush it, 30 minutes usually won’t do.
Just find a warm spot in your kitchen and put a towel over your pan, then find something else to do.
Once they’re nice and fluffed up like you see here you will want to brush some egg over the top so they get golden brown.
Of course you can skip this step but this is the trick to making them glossy and pretty when you pull them out.
- Now preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
And you’re ready to bake your homemade rolls.
How to do make dinner rolls rise faster?
- Proof dough in Instant Pot if you have one!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (the temp. your rolls will be baked at)
- Rinse a kitchen towel under warm water until it is barely damp.
Lay the towel over your dough that has been placed in a dish. (do not use plastic)
- Place your covered dough near, but not on your preheated oven.
- Let the dough rise until it’s doubled in size.
You’ll want to check every 15 minutes until this occurs.
What do you do if yeast doesn’t rise?
Try turning up the heat, yeast loves a warm moist climate.
If that doesn’t work and it hasn’t risen after 30 minutes try adding a bit more to your dough kneading it really well. Here are 10 other ways of how to fix dough that won’t rise.
Looking for other easy bread recipes?
- Our pull apart bread using refrigerated rolls and garlic and yummy
- This is the best beer bread recipe with just 3 main ingredients
- Here’s how to make Challah
- Easy cheese biscuit recipe
For a sweeter treat try our 4 ingredient banana bread too. It is really popular since it uses cake mix which makes it so easy to throw together.
Best dinner roll recipe
- Pork shoulder is great shredded in the middle of these for sliders!
- A whole chicken is a given.
- If you haven’t tried our spicy honey chicken you must!
- Pot roast always needs a side of rolls.
Can you freeze fresh baked rolls?
Yes!! Make a double batch and throw half of them in the freezer for later!
- Just allow them to cool completely
- wrap them in foil
- then place inside a freezer gallon bag
- they will last up to a month for best results
This is great to make if you don’t have yeast or need a quick bread in a jiffy.
What if you have leftovers?
How do you keep rolls fresh the next day?
- Just wrap individual rolls tightly in plastic wrap
- Store them in an airtight container
- They can be stored like this for up to two days for best results
For the freshest taste bring the homemade rolls to room temperature before eating.
Olive oil and balsamic bread dip
Quick and easy mix is:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. garlic, minced and dried or fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese & balsamic vinegar
Serve this in a small dish for a burst of added flavors. So good when served with our 5 ingredient chili recipe.
Easy Roll Recipe
- Place the flour in a medium bowl, then sprinkle in the sugar, yeast and salt and stir until well combined.
- Make a well in the center and add the oil and all of the milk, begin to mix and slowly add the water until you have formed a dough — you may not need to add all the water or you may need to add a little more, this will depend on the humidity of your kitchen.
- If more water is needed add a tablespoon at a time. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and use your hands to knead the dough until you have a soft dough that feels a bit stretchy and doesn’t have any dry flour lumps (it will only take you 5 minutes or less).
- Divide the dough into 12 equal size balls. Spray a springform pan with non stick spray, then arrange the dough balls in the pan.
- Cover with a clean dish towel and allow to rise until they double in size. (The rising time will also depend on how humid and how cold or hot your kitchen is. It can take from 40 minutes to an hour.)
- Preheat the oven to 400F for 10 minutes. Lightly beat a small egg and use a pastry brush to coat the top of the risen dough balls.
- Bake in center of oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before removing from the pan and if desired brush with melted butter before serving while still warm.