How to proof dough in Instant Pot quickly! Love baking bread or homemade pizza dough but need a warm area for it to rise? Here’s the best kitchen hack when proofing bread dough in Instant Pot.
Homemade pizza dough is now super easy to make. The trick is to proof dough in Instant Pot to save a bit of time. It’s always a nice warm place without having to heat up your house. (affiliate links present, originally published 8/20)
Instant Pot pizza dough
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Proofing Bread Dough in Instant Pot
No, this isn’t just for pizza. You can use it to proof dough of any kind. If you love your homemade white bread recipe then use this tip to make that too.
This is the answer! Use your pressure cooker on the yogurt setting to do it. Of course you can do this too in your oven but who wants to heat up your whole house, especially during the summertime?
Traditionally it is about 2 hours. If you use our Instant Pot proofing dough method here your rise time is cut it in half to just 60 minutes.
You wouldn’t like the results. The carbon dioxide can’t be released if this step is skipped and the gluten won’t stretch to hold the air bubbles. This all means that it won’t become airy and fluffy like you want it.
Use your Instant Pot! We will show you how to do that here. I have heard some use their microwave, but I am not set on this as a good method to speed up the process.
As with any yeast bread recipe, you need to combine the yeast, warm water and sugar together. This will activate the yeast and make it a bit foamy.
Proofing Dough in Ninja Foodi
Next you’ll add your all purpose flour, olive oil and salt until it is combined. You do not want to over-mix bread. Your dough should look like this below. We will show you how to make this easy pizza dough recipe.
- If you have your own recipe go ahead and use that.
- Just use the below directions for the proofing process.
Best homemade pizza dough
- Active dry yeast
- Warm water
- All purpose flour
- Olive oil
Proofing Pizza Dough
Time needed: 1 hour.
Proof Dough in Instant Pot
- Add ingredients
Place a large bowl with warm water, sugar and yeast in it. If using active dry yeast wait 5 minutes with it in your mixture so it becomes foamy.
Add in your flour, olive oil and salt slowly. Use a wood spoon to incorporate.
Dump on to a floured surface and knead by hand for about 6 minutes. You can use a dough hook on a stand mixer alternatively for 5 minutes.
- Prepare pot
Oil the inside of your pot inside your machine. Make sure it is well coated on the bottom and the sides too.
- Proof dough
Place dough ball in center of pot and close your lid and steam valve.
Select the yogurt function and set to 1 hour of time.
Take Instant Pot lid off. It should be double in size If you need to knead and proof bread dough a second time, follow same steps as above.
Remove pizza dough, roll out flat on parchment paper or cutting board, add sauce and toppings as you wish. Bake creation in oven and enjoy.
How to Proof Dough Quickly
Proofing Dough in the Instant Pot
This works just as well for any sort of homemade bread you might want to make too. When you press the yogurt button it isn’t pressure cooked like if you had set it on high to cook an Instant Pot beef recipe or something.
- We love this easy dinner roll recipe. When the dough has to double it is easier to use our pot to let the dough rise quicker.
- I am all about saving time y’all.
If you have an off brand that may not have this button, you could use the warm setting with a glass lid. This will take longer but is a good alternative if you don’t have an oven, or don’t want to turn it on.
Why did my dough not rise?
It may be that your yeast, baking soda, or baking powder from the store is too old. Be sure to check the expiration date on all items needed to get your dough to rise regularly. Replace if the date has passed.
You also may not be using the right combination of ingredients, check your recipe carefully. The last reason is that it is not warm enough, this tip should eliminate that issue entirely.
Do you cover dough when proofing?
You don’t need to cover it beyond the pressure cooker lid. If you are using another method then yes, you will need to cover the bowl with the dough inside with either plastic wrap, foil or a towel on top.
Sometimes when baking bread at home your recipe may require you to punch it down, and then let it rise a second time. Just follow the same instructions for both times.
How do you make dough rise without yeast?
If you have made anything like no yeast cinnamon rolls or sourdough bread, you’ll know how this is done.
You can do this with a sourdough starter, or combining baking soda and an acid such as; lemon juice, buttermilk, or milk combined with an equal part of vinegar.
Can I make dough the night before?
You can. After punching it down and putting it in a bowl rubbed with oil you can cover with plastic wrap and in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- When you take it out and want to use it though find a warm spot for it.
- Cover the to and it will need to rise again.
- Then roll it out or shape it and put it into your loaf pans to bake.
- This is a great method for the holidays if you have a lot of recipes going on all at once or when batch cooking.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Proof Dough in Instant Pot
- Place a large bowl with warm water, sugar and yeast in it. If using active dry yeast wait 5 minutes with it in your mixture so it becomes foamy.
- Add in your flour, olive oil and salt slowly. Use a wood spoon to incorporate.
- Dump on to a floured surface and knead by hand for about 6 minutes. You can use a dough hook alternatively for 5 minutes.
- Oil the inside of your pot inside your machine. Make sure it is well coated on the bottom and the sides too.
- Place dough ball in center of pot and close your lid and steam valve.
- Select the yogurt button and set to 1 hour of time.
- Take lid off, remove dough and use as pizza dough adding sauce and toppings as you wish. Bake and enjoy.