This is the best way to make baked potatoes so they’re tender and fluffy on the inside with crispy flavorful potato skins! Used as a side dish or dinner stuffed with chili or cheese they’re delicious and cheap to make. If you’re looking for an easy baked potato recipe I’ve got it here.
I don’t know why it took me so long to explain the best way to make baked potatoes, but I guess the simple recipes get overlooked sometimes! These are the best baked potatoes hands down! (originally published 4/18, affiliate links present)
- Personally we make these filled with our popular 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe topped with cheese several times a week.
You could fill them with just about anything though. For a flavorful potato skin with tender insides this is the trick to the perfect taters.
That is the goal right??
You want a crispy skin that is so flavorful you don’t just want to eat the insides right? If your kids (or you) aren’t fans of eating the whole thing, I bet you will when you try this method they will!
First you have to start with some baked potatoes right? We live in Idaho so we are set in that department. 😉
Grab a bag of russets, medium size, and I prefer sea salt myself because I think the taste and texture is better…especially for this side dish.
Best way to make baked potatoes
- Russet potatoes – medium size, large is fine it just will take a bit longer in the oven
- Sea salt – this one is great, much better than table salt for this
- Olive oil
- Fork – for piercing
- Baking sheet – I line it with foil just for easier cleanup
The key is to make the skin a bit crunchy and super flavorful, you do this with olive oil and sea salt.
BUT you want the inside to be as fluffy as possible which works best in your oven at a steady temperature for just under an hour (medium size, larger potatoes may take longer).
- I poke them with a fork 4-5 times on the top and the bottom to get a consistent texture inside your baked potato.
Then serve as is or I have a few yummy suggestions below on how to stuff it and make it a great dinner.
Like I said we like twice stuffed potatoes. I like to use my pressure cooker a lot, but not for baked potatoes.
That is not the best way to make them because you won’t get the perfect outer texture like when they’re baked in the oven.
How do you keep potatoes warm?
- Remove from the oven and set them on a dish or rack.
- Be sure not to cut open or pierce any part of the potato yet.
- Tightly wrap each one with foil so that there are no uncovered or loose sections.
The foil will keep any steam from escaping, keeping the potato warmer longer.
What goes good with a baked potato?
- Instant Pot chili is a yummy filler topped with cheese
- Here’s a recipe for the best vegetarian chili if you don’t eat meat
You can make the Easiest cheese sauce as well with the following ingredients:
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 3/4 c. heavy cream, or milk if you like a thinner cheese sauce
- whisk together over stovetop until warm, or microwave for 1 min. & stir until warm
- add broccoli florets with cheese too!
Ways of cooking baked potatoes
- Crockpot baked potatoes
- Smoked baked potatoes
- Our Pressure cooker baked potatoes are great – the quickest way to get them cooked
- Pressure cooker mashed potatoes are great too
Wondering how to make air fryer baked potatoes?
We have information on that too!
- Try sweet potatoes in the air fryer first.
Best Baked Potatoes
Best Way to Make Baked Potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Wash your potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Use a fork to pierce each potato 4-5 times on the top and the bottom.
- Use your hands to rub olive oil on each one and put on a baking sheet (I line my sheet with tinfoil first).
- Sprinkle sea salt on the top of each potato on your baking sheet, then flip each one over and sprinkle the same amount on that side.
- Put into your oven for 50 minutes.
- Slice right down the middle of each one and gently squeeze the sides to plump the inside of the potato out a bit and serve or fill with toppings and enjoy!