This is the best way to make baked potatoes so they’re tender and fluffy on the inside with crispy flavorful potato skins! Used as a side dish or dinner stuffed with chili or cheese they’re delicious and cheap to make. If you’re looking for an easy baked potato recipe I’ve got it here.
I don’t know why it took me so long to explain the best way to make baked potatoes but I guess the simple recipes get overlooked sometimes! This easy baked potato recipe is great to have on hand to serve as a side dish or use for double stuffed baked potatoes loaded up with your favorite toppings! Personally we make these filled with our popular 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe topped with cheese several times a week but you could fill it with just about anything. For a flavorful potato skin with tender insides this is the trick to the perfect baked potato!
That is the goal right??
A tender baked potato with a crispy skin that is so flavorful you don’t just want to eat the insides. If your kids (or you) aren’t fans of eating the entire potato I bet you will when you try this baked potato method….even my kids do!
First you have to start with some baked potatoes right? We live in Idaho so we are set in that department. 😉 Grab a bag of russet potatoes, medium size, and I prefer sea salt myself because I think the taste and texture is better…especially for this side dish.
Here’s the best way to make baked potatoes and what you’ll need to make them
- Russet potatoes – medium size, large is fine it just will take a bit longer in the oven
- Sea salt – this one is great, much better than table salt for this
- Olive oil
- Fork – for piercing
- Baking sheet – I line it with foil just for easier cleanup
The key is to make the skin a bit crunchy and super flavorful, you do this with olive oil and sea salt. BUT you want the inside to be as fluffy as possible which works best in your oven at a steady temperature for just under an hour (medium size, larger potatoes may take longer).
- I poke them with a fork 4-5 times on the top and the bottom to get a consistent texture inside your baked potato.
Then serve as is or I have a few yummy suggestions below on how to stuff your baked potato and make it a great dinner.
Like I said we like stuffed baked potatoes. I like to use my pressure cooker a lot, but not for baked potatoes. That is not the best way to make baked potatoes because you won’t get the perfect outer texture like when they’re baked in the oven.
But…..I do make a few things that are yummy stuffed inside our potatoes, here are a few ways to stuff a baked potato
- Instant Pot chili is a yummy potato filler topped with cheese
- Here’s a recipe for the best vegetarian chili if you don’t eat meat
- Easiest cheese sauce
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 3/4 c. heavy cream, or milk if you like a thinner cheese sauce
- whisk together over stovetop until warm, or microwave for 1 min. & stir until warm
- add broccoli florets with cheese too!
- Make a quick broccoli cheese soup and top with that
Other ways of cooking baked potatoes that are great:
- Crockpot baked potatoes
- Smoked baked potatoes
- Pressure cooker baked potatoes – the quickest way to get them cooked
- Pressure cooker mashed potatoes are great too
Here’s the full printable recipe for perfect baked potatoes:
Best Way to Make Baked Potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Wash your potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Use a fork to pierce each potato 4-5 times on the top and the bottom.
- Use your hands to rub olive oil on each one and put on a baking sheet (I line my sheet with tinfoil first).
- Sprinkle sea salt on the top of each potato on your baking sheet, then flip each one over and sprinkle the same amount on that side.
- Put into your oven for 50 minutes.
- Slice right down the middle of each one and gently squeeze the sides to plump the inside of the potato out a bit and serve or fill with toppings and enjoy!