Air fryer baked potatoes are so amazing! With crispy skins on the outside and a soft tender inside it’s the perfect side dish or dinner stuffed with chili! If you want to make Ninja Foodi baked potatoes these directions work too.
If you’ve never had air fryer baked potatoes they are SO good!! I dare say the salty crispy potato skins are almost better than the inside. One of our favorite easy air fryer recipes. (originally published 3/19, affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Baked Potatoes
Whether you serve potatoes in the air fryer with dinner or make them your main dish you’ll never make them another way again. Our favorite meal is to stuff them full of chili with cheese on top. Talk about a super cheap meal that warms you all over and reminds me of my childhood.
We live in Idaho so yes we know a lot about potatoes. 😉 As far as this goes we are going to focus on Russets because when you think of baked, those are what you picture. For years we only made pressure cooker baked potatoes, but then this happened.
Cook time below refers to them, medium size is always what I recommend. Air frying is the way to go! Let us know what you think after your first batch. 😉
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
Ninja Air Fryer Baked Potato
I still love potatoes in a smoker but you can get that same crispiness in a fraction of the time using your Cosori, Foodi or other brand. Here are a few questions you might have before you get started;
Well, there are 2 different ways. If you want to make mashed potatoes you can do that. But if you want the outsides to be crispy and stay in tact you’ll want to use the air crisp function and no water.
We will show you how that is done right here.
YES and they are the best by far! Just like at a steakhouse you will get the crunchy potato skins and fluffy tender insides you love. Air Frying them is the best method vs. pressure cooking.
This is the machine I have, seen below. It’s actually a pressure cooker and air fryer so you can do both functions. It is the original first version that came out so it may look just a bit different if you bought yours recently. I guess I could upgrade but this works just great so I don’t see the need. Biggest difference is mine is larger.
This is what you’re going to need to pick up in order to get started. You don’t need a lot really. The biggest tip for success is drying the outside of the skin after you rinse and remove the outer debris. For that you can use a kitchen towel or a few paper towels.
Air fryer baked potato
The more dry you can get the outside the crispier the potato skins will be, and that is the ultimate goal right?? Let’s talk about potato skins for a minute too. Best salt you can use is sea salt which is bigger than what you have on your table so you pack on the flavor and dry out the outside a bit better.
- Russet potatoes – all similar sized potatoes so they get done at the same time, medium is best
- Coarse sea salt
- Olive oil
- Air fryer basket
- Favorite toppings if you’re loading them up
- We love pressure cooker chili
Literally that is it, other than your air fryer. So quick and easy with about a 40 minutes cook time. Any brand will do. If you’d rather slice them and make air fryer french fries those are good too, especially for little hands that love everything finger food related.
Why do you need to use olive oil to make baked potatoes in the air fryer?
I mean I guess if you only had vegetable or another version you could use that. I always always have olive on the counter next to the stovetop and a gallon of it in the pantry. Yes, I use it that often. It offers a great flavor and is great for your heart as well.
- It allows the skins to really crisp up
- Using really good EVO adds great flavor to the skins as well
- Olive oil allows the salt to really stick to the potato skin
Why use coarse sea salt for air fryer potatoes?
- It’s larger than table salt, thus not coating the entire skin
- Sea salt has a great flavor to it
- It will dry out the outside more and more getting it nice and crispy crunchy like the restaurants do
What is the best potato for baking?
To start, you need to choose the best type of potato. We live in Idaho so a bag of russet potatoes are easy to find, and in fact are the best for baking! They are a high starch potato that will lend a light, mealy texture.
Baked Potato in Air Fryer with Foil
Baked potato toppings
I mean everyone has their own favorites right?? If you are up for a few new suggestions to change up your meal planning here are some that we think of right away.
- 5 ingredient Crockpot chili
- Instructions for pressure cooker and slow cooker above
- Pressure cooker broccoli
- Pair with a homemade cheese sauce
- Sour cream and bacon bits
- Salsa for a really low fat and gluten free meal
Should baked potatoes be wrapped in foil?
Do not wrap potatoes in aluminum foil for baking in an oven or in an air fryer. Foil holds in moisture and steams the potatoes, resulting in a “boiled” taste and texture. In an oven you’ll need to turn the potatoes over halfway through the baking time, it isn’t necessary using this method though.
Baked Potatoes in Ninja Foodi
You can use any brand machine you have though.
- Wash your potatoes and dry them off with a few paper towels.
- Poke around each one with a fork.
- Liberally rub olive oil on each one (so much that they’re kinda’ dripping).
- Sprinkle coarse salt all over each one.
Then place each one into your air fryer basket so they’re not overlapping. This is important so the skins really get nice and crispy all the way around.
- Set temperature to 400 degrees for 35 minutes, then check by poking in the middle with a fork or knife.
- If they aren’t tender enough in the middle, set timer for another 5 minutes and check again.
- cook time will vary depending on how large your taters are but 40 minutes is about average.
Note: Make sure you poke holes all around. Depending on the size of your potatoes timing will vary slightly from 30 minutes to 45 for large potatoes. 400 degrees works perfectly for all sizes.
Want to make them twice baked potatoes once you’re done?? You totally can. Just slice in half, scoop out the insides and add all the goodies. Mash it all together, fill back into the skins and air fry for a few minutes until the top cheese is melted.
Can you put a potato in an air fryer
Absolutely, not just fresh but you can reheat baked potato in Ninja Foodi air fryer too. Seriously the best way to do it so it gets warmed but the skins get nice and crispy again as well.
- Do it using this air fryer mashed potatoes recipe!! It just may be a game changer for your family too.
This has been for us and we’ve varied what is served inside week after week so it doesn’t get boring. This is one of our favorite potato recipe for sure.
Looking for other easy Ninja Foodi air fryer recipes? We have a bunch of other ideas you will thoroughly enjoy right here, let us know which are your favorites.
- Bacon wrapped air fryer steak and mashed potatoes
- These air fryer Hasselback potatoes really rock with cheese and bacon
- Air fryer kale chips and zucchini chips are great snacks
- Our air fryer tater tots are so good too
Sweet potato in the air fryer are great as is next to some protein or with butter and cinnamon and sugar as a sweet breakfast.
Print recipe with nutritional information below to keep on hand. Let us know what you think of this method of making an easy air fryer baked potato in the comments below! But wait, there’s more to try this week too!
If you have little ones at home, I always loved making everything bite sized! Like that too? Try roasting potatoes in air fryer with little ones like these! Mixed with some seasonings, olive oil and diced onions they’re full of flavor and faster to get tender.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Wash your potatoes, then poke them with a fork all around each one. Pat them dry.
- Rub olive oil over each one (generously) and then sprinkle sea salt over the entire outside of each potato.
- Place a trivet inside your air fryer if yours uses one (for the Ninja Foodi flip the metal trivet it comes with upside down so it’s lower).
- Put your potatoes on your trivet so they aren’t overlapping.
- Close your air fryer lid (on the Ninja Foodi it is the lid that is attached). Set to air crisp, 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes. (timing will depend on size of potatoes, check after 35 min, poke with fork to see if middle is tender)
- Take out when time is up, slice and fluff up inside.
Monday 25th of October 2021
This will be the only way I make bake potatoes from now on! They were perfect! Another win for the air fryer!
The Typical Mom
Wednesday 27th of October 2021
We love them this way
Monday 25th of October 2021
Such a great way to make baked potatoes! I love the crispy skins!
Wednesday 11th of November 2020
We had bad luck with the air crisp feature burning food at 15 minutes (brussels sprout per Foodi instructions), is this not an issue with the potatoes? I want to make sure before attempting dinner!
Thursday 14th of January 2021
Potatoes come out good. No worries. Cool thing is, when you're done just take em out and put them in tin foil and they'll stay hot for a while while you fix your stuff. Great thing is, less cleaning, quick, and you can let it be your side ya know. I'm making them tonight, but stuffing them with bbq chicken, butter, cheese, sourcream.
Tuesday 3rd of November 2020
Best baked potatoes we've ever had. Wonderful recipe and we now ONLY bake our potatoes using this recipe. THANKS for sharing!
The Typical Mom
Tuesday 3rd of November 2020
We love them too!
Sunday 18th of October 2020
Best potato ever!!!
The Typical Mom
Tuesday 20th of October 2020