Can you cook ground beef in the microwave? Yes you can!! We will show you how to cook frozen hamburger meat from raw to browned in about 8 minutes.
I wondered if you could cook ground beef in microwave in case that was all you had at the time. It totally worked! Not only did it get browned but it was faster than I thought and so handy to know. Once done you can choose what to cook with ground beef for dinner and enjoy. (affiliate links present)
Can You Cook Hamburger in the Microwave
This is just one of many microwave recipes on our site. These two terms are synonymous to me. I call it one thing and my mom calls it the other. My husband only defines it this way if it is made into a patty.
Ask a crowd full of people and you’ll get a bunch of different answers. You know that I mean the same thing when I say either of these words…….
We just shared with you how to thaw ground beef in microwave. If yours is still rock hard you’re going to want to follow these directions first until it is defrosted. Then go ahead and read the recipe card below to go from raw hamburger to cooked and browned meat in just minutes.
Looking for some easy microwave recipes? We have the answer! Whether you are traveling in an RV, need to cook in a hotel room or just want to cook food quickly we can help. Here are a few resources to get started;
FIRST – sign up for our free newsletter here! I publish new posts each and every day and that will be sent out twice a week for you to read and try them all!
- Here are my favorite microwave safe dishes with lids to use, plastic is no good.
- Cook times may vary slightly if you have a very small unit with less than 1000 watts.
- Remember to use pot holders to remove food from inside as it may be very hot when done cooking.
Cook Ground Beef in Microwave
Here are a few quick questions and answers you might have right about now. There is a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post you can keep handy, or just come back for instructions again when you need them.
It may surprise you to know that it takes under 10 minutes flat to go from pink and raw meat to browned and ready to eat! Use a fork or spatula to break it apart along the way so it cooks evenly and comes out tender and moist every time. Here’s how…..
Yep! We will show you here how to cook ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken. They all work the same way and close to the same timing too.
Then drain, and use as you wish when it reaches a safe internal temperature.
We even show you here how to defrost chicken in the microwave if you’re in a pinch. You may be surprised at just how handy this machine is beyond cooking frozen meals.
Cook Hamburger in Microwave
This takes about the same amount of time as air fryer ground beef does. The biggest plus to this method is the fat and grease will automatically drain away as it cooks. If you don’t have a hot air machine this is a good second.
You’re going to want a shallow bowl or dish with a higher lip on the edges for this. Reason being is there will be grease released and you don’t want a huge mess on your hands when it drains off. You’ll want a colander at the end too.
Ground Beef in Microwave
- Cooking process is quite easy. Break up your large lump of hamburger into smaller bits inside a bowl or shallow microwave safe dish with a lip on the sides. One with a lid is ideal.
- Cover your bowl with your lid or wrap plastic wrap across the top and cook on 100% (normal) high heat power for 4 minutes. Take it out, stir to breakup any lumps, and put it back in the microwave in 2 minute intervals (breaking up every time) for 4 to 5 more min. cooking time or until browned.
- A total of 8 minutes is usually just about right.
- You can season raw ground beef with salt and pepper if you like before or after it’s done.
- The meat will be ready at this point but you should check internal temp. with a meat thermometer – should be 160-165F. Transfer the minced meat to a colander to drain the fat.
- if you don’t have one of these you can pour on to a wad of paper towels
If you want to really make it lower in fat use that colander and run it under hot water. That way it will wash all the grease away from the meat, but keep in mind the flavor is in the fat so it will be more bland. Then add to meals like Crock pot tater tot casserole and others.
Microwaving Ground Beef
There is one other “out of the box” method you can try beyond a pan on your stovetop. Did you know you could cook Crockpot ground beef too?? I know, kinda’ wild but totally works if you need to go down that route.
There you have it. Once it’s done you will be well on your way to making all the things. Of course you’ll want to drain the fat first like you see here.
Now that your beef is cooked, add your browned ground beef into one of our many ground beef recipes. If you have kids add something fun like our tater tot casserole with cream of mushroom soup that is cheesy and wonderful.
How to Cook a Hamburger in the Microwave
What if you want to cook a burger in the microwave instead? You totally can. Get out your meat and go ahead and make a (or a few) burger patties. Don’t make them larger than 5 inches in diameter and they should all be the same size.
- Form ground meat into a round patty with a hole in the center so it cooks evenly
- Set into a microwave safe bowl or plate
- you can season top of hamburger patties with salt and pepper and/or a drop of Worcestershire sauce for flavor
- Cover with a piece of plastic wrap or set parchment paper on top
- Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute depending on how thick they are
- Check the temperature to ensure it is at
- 120-125 F = rare
- 130-135 = medium rare
- 140-145 F = medium
- 150-155 = medium well done
- 160-165 = well done hamburger
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Can you cook ground beef in the microwave
- 1 Bowl
- 1 lb ground beef
- Break up your lump of hamburger into smaller bits inside a bowl, one with a lid is ideal.
- Cover your bowl with a lid or tight saran wrap and cook on 100% (normal) power for 4 minutes. Take it out, stir to breakup any lumps, and put it back in the microwave in 2 minute intervals (breaking up every time) for 4-5 more minutes or until browned.
- The meat will be ready at this point but you should check internal temp. with a kitchen thermometer – should be 160-165F. Transfer the minced meat to a colander to drain excess fat.
Saturday 3rd of September 2022
Never thought to try it. Thank you, great time-saving idea that frees up stove for other dishes
The Typical Mom
Friday 9th of September 2022
Glad it was helpful
The Typical Mom
Saturday 3rd of September 2022
Total game changer