Crock pot tater tot casserole with ground beef that’s cheesy and a perfect brunch or dinner! Use your leftover ham in this recipe too, everyone will love it!
Who doesn’t like a dish with tater tots??!! Come on be honest…they’re the bomb! This crock pot tater tot casserole is really versatile because you can add a variety of meats to it. It’s one of our favorite crock pot recipes. (originally published 12/16, affiliate links present))
Tater Tot Casserole Crockpot
We have used leftover ham from Christmas, or ground beef and it turned out delicious no matter what! You only need a few ingredients and it’s perfect to have breakfast for dinner, lunch, or even brunch. Let us know what you think after you try it yourself. 😉
If you have never made a casserole in Crock pot before you are in for a real treat. Everything can be layered, lid secured, and when you’re home dinner will already to ready for all of you. Don’t skip the cheese, add that extra layer or top because cheesy = added YUM. 😉
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Hamburger Tater Tot Casserole Crockpot
It’s a great throw it in and go kinda’ meal and a tater tot casserole with ground beef is always great when it is chilly outside. This one is done in the oven and is great but sometimes I really have the energy for prep in the morning and just want everything done when we get back home so this was born.
Just before Christmas on year, although I wasn’t cooking dinner that year, I bought a ham because I got almost 3 lbs. for under 7 dollars! Meat like this literally lasts us for a week using different recipes, so I got to experimenting and used the leftovers from that one year to make this, was delish.
You can use chicken as well. Use what’s on hand I always say (or needs to get cooked or it will go bad).
Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole
Originally when I was looking for new ways to use our leftover ham I modified my oven version using hamburger meat. I always like to incorporate vegetables into a dish if I can.
My kids now really enjoy veggies but it took some time and putting them in a casserole helped them develop a taste for them. I think you could easily use broccoli or corn instead of green beans if you’d rather or use homemade cream of chicken soup too if you’ve got the time.
Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole with Cream of Mushroom Soup
There’s really no difference, other than a slight taste variation, if you use mushroom vs. chicken condensed soup. I use typically whatever I have on hand at the time and it is a hit either way so I wouldn’t worry about that. Makes it a creamy meal and softens all the ingredients nicely.
- Frozen tater tots
- Ground beef or diced ham works too
- you will need to precook in a pan on the stove or cook ground beef in microwave
- ground chicken or ground turkey meat mixtures work too for lower fat
- Frozen green beans or mixed veggies right out of the bag are perfect, do not defrost ahead of time
- Cream of chicken soup
- Onion – or dehydrated onions
- Salt and pepper
- Cheese for us is a must but if you needed dairy free you could omit
This is kinda’ what the layered look looks like when you are throwing it all in there.
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole Slow Cooker
For easier clean up I would spray the inside of your pot with some non stick spray. That way your servings full will slide out nicely and the dishwasher can get all the stuck on bits off easily.
- Start to layer all of your ingredients this way: Half of your tater tots, then your precooked ground beef. Sprinkle mixed veggies on top of beef mixture, with remaining frozen tater tots on top.
- In a bowl whisk together your can of cream of chicken soup and milk. Stir in diced onions, salt, pepper and cheese.
- Pour this cheese mixture over the top of everything.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours cooking time, I do not recommend to cook on high at all.
- Stop cooking when taters are as tender as you’d like them to be. Can sprinkle an additional layer of cheese on top and close lid for about 20 – 30 minutes so it melts and then serve.
If you want the top of your tater tot casserole recipe to become crispy just set your oven to broil. Lift your inner crock out and set it on the middle rack of your oven for about 2 minutes. It will nicely crisp the top potatoes, and cheese, if texture is a thing for you. Slow cooking can’t do that.
Super easy crockpot casserole idea right? You can print recipe below and there is nutritional information listed there too. This isn’t a healthy dish, a family favorite we cook now and then when it is chilly outside and we desperately need comfort food. All info will vary slightly depending on brands you choose. Refer to saturated fat, calories etc. on your packages for most accurate info.
A great meal for night 3 of trying to use up your leftover ham too! For another great casserole you should try our cream corn casserole. Add leftover ham to that too, or just serve as a side dish to just about any meal!
How to Save Leftover Casserole
If you do have leftovers you can save them in a sealed container inside your fridge for up to 3 days. I will say that it really can only be “saved” within the next 24 hours so I would reheat for lunch the day after. Because the taters will get a bit soggy you don’t want it sitting.
Best way to reheat a casserole is to add it into an oven safe dish. Either warm at 350 for about 10 minutes or you can throw it into your air fryer for about the same time. The latter will get the top crispier which helps liven the mushiness up a bit if you ask me.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Crockpot Tater Tot Casserole
- Spray inside of crock with non stick spray and start to layer this way: Half of tater tots, then ground beef, then mixed veggies, with remaining frozen tater tots on top.
- In a bowl whisk together cream of chicken soup and milk. Stir in diced onions, salt, pepper and cheese.
- Pour this cheese mixture over the top of everything.
- Close lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Check and stop cooking when taters are as tender as you'd like them to be. Can sprinkle an additional layer of cheese on top and close lid for about 20 minutes so it melts and then serve.