Our potato tot casserole with ground beef will knock your socks off! Add vegetables for a cheesy meal your kids will ask you to make over and over again.
Love these crunchy little bite size taters? Us too! Throw them in with veggies and meat and you can try this potato tot casserole with ground beef too. Sponsored by Idaho Beef Council.
- If you too love quick and easy casseroles, this will become your new favorite too!
- With just a few ingredients, it is an inexpensive feel good meal you can throw together in no time at all.
- Even the picky eaters in your house will give it a thumbs up.
We chose to use Idaho ground beef in our dish because well, we live here and always have a ton of it in our fridge and freezer. Of course you can omit the cheddar cheese but that would be a no go for us. 😉
If you ask me it is ground beef or hamburger, hands down. I have used stew meat as well from time to time because it’s inexpensive and comes out tender.
In this case you cook it on the stovetop before adding in other ingredients.
If you wanted to just cook it by itself in the oven just: Preheat oven to 425 F, break meat up into pieces in a baking dish and cook for 15 minutes until browned.
Best ground beef casserole
- Ground beef and onions
- Cream of chicken and mushroom condensed soup
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Frozen corn and peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- my family loves sharp cheddar
- Tater tots – frozen
- 9×13″ casserole dish
You could incorporate a bit of sour cream too if you wanted it creamier. Your can of cream of mushroom soup would accomplish this as well.
Like I said, you’ll need to precook your hamburger first. This is the only real “prep work” required, it may take you a whopping 10 minutes once your skillet is hot.
I rarely ever have to drain any grease because the meat we have is very very lean. If you do have a decent amount in your pan I would drain in a strainer.
- As far as your potato tots go, keep them frozen right out of the freezer. This way they won’t come apart when you mix everything together.
Time needed: 1 hour.
Homestyle ground beef casserole
- Brown meat
In a skillet over medium high heat brown the ground beef with your diced onion, garlic and onion powder. Add salt and pepper too if you like. Break apart and cook until no longer pink.
Drain any excess grease and allow browned beef to cool.
- Mix ingredients
Preheat oven now to 350 degrees F. Add meat mixture, 1/2 tater tots, condensed soups, 1 c. of your cheese and frozen vegetables together in a bow. Fold together.
Pour soup mixture into a 9×13″ baking dish and top with remaining taters in one layer so they aren’t overlapping. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Melt cheese
Uncover, sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake for 15 more minutes until melted and lightly browned on top.
Super easy and cheesy right??!! It will become a new family favorite dish I tell you!
Of course timing at the end is subjective. If you want the tots to be browned then remove foil, bake for maybe 10 minutes, then add cheese to melt that.
If y’all prefer frozen carrots instead of peas, by all means swap those out! What I love about this is that I can find all the ingredients at my local grocery store year round.
- Idaho beef is always right there in the meat department. Often times if I am running out I will grab several pounds and freeze it so I have it on hand.
It is an easy dinner recipe everyone in our house loves so I don’t have to hear moans and groans at all. All “Yeahhhhhs” with this easy ground beef casserole.
Below is the printable recipe card complete with nutritional information like calories and saturated fat content. Of course amounts will vary depending on what type of cheese you use etc…
Potato Tot Casserole with Ground Beef
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown ground beef with onion, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper.
- Pour this into a mixing bowl. Add frozen corn and peas with half of frozen tater tots, 1 cup of cheese and condensed soups. Stir together.
- Pour mixture into a 2 quart baking dish and top with remaining tater tots. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then open and sprinkle with remaining cheese on top. Bake uncovered for another 15 minutes until it is melted. Serve.