Easy homemade Instant Pot Swedish meatballs recipe! Total comfort food at it’s finest and takes less than 20 minutes to make. You’ve got to try it with frozen meatballs or make them yourself!
I don’t know about you but year round I am all about comfort food! I used to throw it in the oven but especially when it is 100 degrees outside I have no interest in that. Thank goodness for my fancy pressure cooker! 😉 I have made Swedish meatballs before on the stovetop and love them. I may have an affinity to the dish because my Grandmother used to make them and they come with memories, but either way they are just SO amazing! If you love this idea too you’ve got to try my easy homemade Instant Pot Swedish meatballs recipe! It’s now one of our very favorite Instant Pot recipes. Special thanks goes out to Chardonnay Box for sponsoring this post so we could share our recipe and pairing with you. 😉 (originally published 6/17)
I know…it looks delicious right??!! Of course you could use frozen or pre-made meatballs for this dish, but my easy meatball recipe is so simple and is packed with flavor so I prefer to make them myself.
If you have a favorite meatloaf recipe you can use that as well and just form them into balls. Meat with a bit more fat content work a bit better just so the meatballs don’t fall apart in the pressure cooking process but that is totally up to you.
From start to finish our easy homemade Instant Pot meatballs take less than 30 minutes including prep time which is much quicker than my traditional method.
When it’s done and your sauce is nice and thick just serve as is or if you prefer a side I would suggest a bit of egg noodles or rice…but as is we love them just as they are. 😉
For dinner when we have a quiet house (very rare, but it does happen), or just as a special treat I love pairing this with a glass of Chardonnay too!
If you’re like me and doesn’t have a lot of time to make it to the store and buys almost everything on line let me tell you about this concept from Chardonnay Box!!
It’s is a monthly wine club that ships 2 or 3 bottles of buttery, creamy chardonnay to you (in California, Idaho, New Mexico, Missouri and Washington DC), and each month you get to try new labels like these. This is from my first box, but next month I will get 2 totally different labels to try.
I love this since each bottle offers a slightly different flavor and I love the variety (and surprise each month) it offers!
We all love getting something special in the mail right??!! The first Wednesday of every month you’ll get just that and you’ll never get the same wine twice (unless you ask for it).
What’s better…..I have a coupon code for you to save you money on your first shipment from Chardonnay Box!
This is what you’ll need to make our easy homemade Instant Pot Swedish meatballs
Looking for other meatball recipes, here are a few others to try:
Here’s a video showing how I make these Instant Pot Swedish meatballs (I did not show deglazing the pot)
Easy Homemade Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 pkg french onion soup mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 tbsp butter melted
- 1 can beef broth 14.5 oz.
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1/2-1 onion diced
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 4-6 tbsp cornstarch varies according to thickness desired
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- mushrooms quartered, optional
- Mix together your ground beef, packet of french onion soup mix, 1 tbsp worchestershire sauce, bread crumbs, and 1 egg. (skip if using frozen meatballs). Make into medium size meatballs.
- Spray the inside of your Instant Pot with non stick spray and add a bit of olive oil inside. Set to saute, low.
- Add your meatballs and diced onions to your pot and cook until the outsides are browned (if using frozen meatballs skip this step). Turn pot OFF. Take meatballs out and add 1/2 your can of beef broth to deglaze your pot.
- Mix together all your other ingredients (only use 3 tbsp of your cornstarch in this mix) in another bowl and use a whisk to make sure all lumps are gone.
- Pour your cream mixture into the pot and put meatballs back in. Put your lid on, close your steam valve.
- Push the pressure high button on your Instant Pot for 3 minutes (if using defrosted meatballs cook for only 2 minutes, frozen meatballs need 4 minutes).
- Once it's done and beeps do a quick release.
- Check meatballs to ensure they're cooked thru. Remove the meatballs from the pot.
- Set Instant Pot to saute low again.
- Add remaining 2-3 tbsp. of cornstarch and whisk into liquid in pot.
- Allow to bubble and thicken, add more cornstarch if desired.
- Add meatballs back into sauce mixture and serve!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉