Crockpot beef stroganoff that only requires 5 ingredients and cooks all day in the crockpot. The best way to make tender beef with a creamy sauce.
My crockpot beef Stroganoff recipe is a goodie at our house. It doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and you can really jazzz it up with the spices your family desires. Here’s how you make one of our favorite crockpot recipes. (originally published 2/14, affiliate links present)
It cooks by itself all day which is great if you work, and it is good old fashioned food your mom or grandma probably made when you were young.
I have updated this post from last year and included two different ways of making this dish now so take your pick, or try both and see which one you like best!
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
I am all about easy when it comes to cooking dinner for my family. Finding something that all 5 of us love is a must too.
There is something about slow cooker beef stroganoff that just takes me back to when we went to my Grandma’s house for dinner. The smell itself makes me think of her. 😉
Of course she didn’t cook it in a crockpot, but with 3 kids it’s kinda’ necessary for us. If you love stroganoff you’ve gotta’ try this easy crockpot beef stroganoff recipe of ours. You seriously just throw everything in and it cooks by itself.
About 1/2 hr. before serving cook the egg noodles separately in a pot (you will serve meat over these), and in a bowl combine the 3 ingredients to make your rue.
Whisk together 1/3 c. flour, 1 c. sour cream and scoop enough of the warm beef broth out of the pot to create your rue (this thickens the sauce).
Put this thickening mixture into your crockpot and cook for about 30 min. longer. If you like it thicker you can combine more to your mixture. Serve over egg noodles!
Crock pot beef stroganoff
- Stew meat or beef tips are already cut into chunks at store and cheap
- Beef broth
- Sour cream
- Egg noodles
If you’re in a hurry try our easy Instant Pot beef stroganoff recipe
- or our Instant Pot stroganoff casserole.
Here’s version #2 of crockpot beef stroganoff, added a year after this initial post and recipe.
This next one requires a few more ingredients and is more of a stew with veggies in it. It’s another great stroganoff recipe nonetheless.
Crockpot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- One cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Three tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- Two cups carrots, chopped
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 brick of cream cheese
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 12 ounces medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients except egg noodles, cream cheese, and salt and pepper to a crock pot.
- Set heat to low and cook for 3-4 hours or until beef is fully cooked and tender so that it falls apart when pulled with a fork.
- Add the cream cheese and allow it to melt completely while cooking the egg noodles according to package directions.
- Stir ingredients and then season with salt and pepper. Serve the beef stew over top of the egg noodles.
Notes: Browning the meat on your stovetop to get a sear on the outside is optional. This may add 15 minutes to the overall prep time. Cover and cook on low. If you cook on high the meat won’t be as fall apart tender in my opinion. –
- This is comfort food is a great recipe during the chilly winter months. Often I’ve added 1/2 cup of fried onions to the top of this to take it over the top too!
Nutritional information such as calories and saturated fat listed below too.
Time needed: 6 hours.
Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Add ingredients
Put the cubed stew beef in the crockpot and mix with packet of onion dip mix.
Add your beef broth and onions.
Now cook on low for a good 6 hours (this is best so the meat gets really tender).
Before serving, about 30 minutes prior, whisk together some of the hot broth in your slow cooker, your sour cream, and cornstarch to create a thick roux.
Add that to the Crockpot to thicken up the broth.
Put lid on for another 30 minutes so it all melds together. Serve over egg noodles or rice cooked separately.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Put the cubed stew beef in the crockpot and mix with packet of onion dip mix. Add your beef broth and onions and cook on low for a good 6 hrs. (this is best so the meat gets really tender).
- Before serving, about 30 minutes prior, whisk together some of the hot broth in your slow cooker, your sour cream, and cornstarch to create a thick rue and add that to the crockpot to thicken up the broth.
- Put lid on for another 30 minutes so it all melds together. Serve over egg noodles cooked separately.