Here’s an easy slow cooker beef stew recipe you can make in your crockpot, Instant Pot or stovetop too. Tender beef loaded with vegetables and a flavorful sauce too. Total comfort food.
There are tons of ways to make it but if you’re looking for an easy slow cooker beef stew recipe, this is it. It can also be made on the stovetop or even in a dutch oven. Loaded with beef and lots of vegetables it really is a stand alone meal. It’s one of our favorite easy crockpot recipes.
There were two things my mom made from scratch growing up, beef stew and banana bread…don’t ask me why.
I guess in the 80’s and being midwestern it was just “one of those meals” everyone made.
If you too love slow cooker recipes of all kinds, you’re going to go crazy over this one. First let’s go over a few resources:
- I have made stew many ways, first one I shared on The Typical Mom was my dutch oven stew and even my kids said it came out fabulous!
Super rich sauce and was as easy as this one just done in the oven in my cast iron dutch oven. If you don’t have one of those I highly recommend it, things come out great that way!
This method uses a crock pot (this is the one I have). There are directions below to make stovetop beef stew and in the Instant Pot as well.
Of course with any type of stew you should add the vegetables you want. If you really don’t like peas then omit those at the end, if you love carrots then double the amount here.
It’s totally up to you but here is a generally easy recipe to follow and customize to your personal tastes.
I personally don’t add much salt while cooking, I’d rather salt to taste when it is done, but that is up to you too.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Stew meat, diced chuck roast or beef tips
- Tomato paste
- Red wine
- Beef stock or broth
- Red potatoes
Bay leaf is optional of course and make sure you remove it before serving and eating.
In a Crockpot or pressure cooker I would say absolutely it does. Too long and it will just fall apart and become shredded beef really.
Instructions for the stovetop stew below.
- In a bowl add 1/4 c. of flour and 1 tsp of salt, pepper, mix those together.
- In small batches add your meat and toss so each piece is coated with flour.
- Heat a pan on your stovetop with 3 tbsp. of olive oil and add your meat.
- Brown the meat on all sides. Then remove and put more in so each piece is browned.
- Add more oil if needed to finish.
- Remove meat and add onions to your same pan.
- Add 1 tsp of salt and saute on medium high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add in your garlic.
- Cook for about one minute and add in 2 tbsp. of flour into your mix and cook for about a minute.
- Add in your tomato paste and mix together.
- Pour in your red wine. Scrape the bottom so you get all browned bits mixed in.
- Cook until flour is smooth and red wine has reduced.
- Add in broth, herbs, and beef. Cook uncovered for one hour on low.
- Then add your vegetables other than your peas.
- Cover and cook for 55 minutes, occasionally stirring.
In the last 5 minutes add your defrosted, formerly frozen, peas. Stir.
Obviously slow cooking is a lot less work than if you use a pot but that is up to you. Using your pressure cooker is even easier though!!
- You just throw it all in, cook on high pressure and in about 30 minutes flat you’ll be ready to eat. But then again everything is faster using this method. Even an entire pot roast takes NO time at all!
If you want to make Instant Pot stew here’s a great method.
- We called it pressure cooker beef pot pie soup but it’s really the same thing.
- There are lots of other Instant Pot beef recipes here as well
- This beef stew casserole is a great twist on the traditional too.
- Ninja Foodi stew in your pressure cooker
Instant Pot Stew Meat recipes are the bomb too.
Crockpot beef stew
Time needed: 5 hours.
Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Spray inside of your slow cooker with non stick spray or use a liner.
In a bowl whisk together your flour and beef stock. Put meat into crockpot and pour beef stock mixture on top. Stir to coat meat.
Add carrots, potatoes, and celery on top of that. Whisk together your wine, spices and tomato paste in another bowl.
Pour this liquid mixture on top.
Close lid and set to high for 4-6 hours.
About 15-20 minutes before serving add your defrosted, formerly frozen, peas.
Stir into mix and put top back on for remaining time. Serve.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 lbs stew meat or chuck roast cut into thick chunks
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 c red wine optional
- 3 c beef broth
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 carrots cut into dials
- 4 potatoes cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 stalks celery cut
- 1 c peas defrosted, formerly frozen
- 1/4 c flour
- Spray inside of your slow cooker with non stick spray or use a liner.
- In a bowl whisk together your flour and beef stock.
- Put meat into crockpot and pour beef stock mixture on top. Stir to coat meat.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and celery on top of that. Whisk together your wine, spices and tomato paste in another bowl.
Pour this liquid mixture on top, close lid and set to high for 4-6 hours.
- About 15-20 minutes before serving add your defrosted, formerly frozen, peas. Stir into mix and put top back on for remaining time.