This Pressure Cooker beef pot pie soup is a hearty dinner your whole family will love. Cooking tender beef in under an hour in your Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi has never been easier!
Admit it, no other protein does it quite like beef. It tastes amazing. This pressure cooker beef pot pie soup belongs on your table tonight! Just one easy Instant Pot recipe we love. Sponsored by Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. (affiliate links present, originally published 1/19)
Ninja Foodi Beef Pot Pie Soup
Who doesn’t love a rich flavorful pot pie with tender bite size beef hidden inside with biscuits on top (or on the side if you prefer).
Well, if you have a pressure cooker or Ninja Foodi you can now make it in no time at all and have the ultimate comfort food with your family. I assure you they’ll ask you to make this again and again.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
I love putting a twist on classic dishes like this one!
Instant Pot Pot Pie Soup
- When you start with such a delicious high-quality protein, the pressure cooking possibilities are endless right??!! You can sear beef, grill it, roast it, use it as an ingredient or make it an entrée or.
- This time we’re using our pressure cooker to do all the cookin’. 😉
Especially after the holidays when you’re tired of spending all day in the kitchen this dish is going to not only become your family’s favorite dish but give you a break as well!
You can see basically what you’ll need here……simple right??!!
Yes I use frozen mixed vegetables to make this pot pie. Why?? Well especially during the winter time I may not have fresh corn or green beans available.
AND it enables me to throw this pressure cooker dinner together in no time at all since I can eliminate chopping each one into bite size pieces.
I’m a busy mom y’all. That means any and all short cuts are welcome. Yes slow cooking is great, but if you forget to prep a meal in the morning you need something fast come dinnertime.
Pot pie soup in a pressure cooker?
- This method cuts cooking time in half
- Beef pot pie or soup in the oven / stovetop would take around 60 minutes vs. 35 minutes in my pressure cooker
The beef stew meat cooked in this pressure cooker pot pie soup comes out incredibly tender
- Beef’s tender, juicy texture is optimum when cooked to medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness
- You can ensure it will be cooked through using this method which gives it a tender texture as though it were cooked all day in a slow cooker but in a fraction of the time
- Using an Instant Pot vs. cooking it on the stovetop allows you to add all your ingredients and walk away
No more standing at the stove to make sure it doesn’t burn or stirring, just release steam when it beeps and you know it’ll be done to perfection
Yes that’s right, just dump everything in and walk away….now that is my kinda’ dinner. 😉
Pressure Cooker Beef Pot Pie Soup
- Beef – I use stew meat cut into bite size pieces, or beef tips
- Diced tomatoes
- V8 – or tomato sauce
- Beef stock – or beef broth
- Onion – I add onion to just about every meal
- Spices – use fresh or jarred
- salt and pepper more or less depending on taste
- Kidney beans – optional add in but we like it
- Refrigerated biscuits – or make your own homemade biscuits
- Cup of frozen vegetables
- mixed frozen peas and carrots work great
- Quartered mushrooms
- 1 diced bell pepper
- Cup of frozen vegetables
So good right??!!
Pot pie isn’t just about the tender beef and vegetables though right?? You need some flaky goodness with it….that part is totally up to you.
Since I am aiming for a quick dinner I just throw in some refrigerated biscuits and they’re done at the same time our beef pot pie soup is ready.
Some of us like them on the side, where others (me) like them cut up into bite size pieces and served on the top like you see here.
- Scoop up a spoonful with a variety of vegetables, a piece of tender beef, thick broth and a piece of biscuit for the best bite ever!!
I know….you’re thinking of what you need to grab at the store right now aren’t you??!!
Ready?? We will share a quick “how to” here but there is a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post as well:
Pressure cooker beef stew chili
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Instant Pot Beef Pot Pie Soup
Add your beef stew meat that has been cut into bite size pcs. with olive oil. Then add your sliced onions, bell peppers, cajun seasoning, salt and garlic salt.
Cook until outsides are no longer pink. Turn pot off.
- Add ingredients
Then pour in drained can of kidney beans, tomato sauce or V8, diced tomatoes and potato, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, basil, minced garlic and broth.
Stir so everything is combined well.
Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 35 minutes. When done allow pot to naturally release steam for 10 minutes, then release rest of steam.
Open lid. Stir. Turn pot to saute low and add frozen vegetables and quartered mushrooms if you choose to add them. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
In a small bowl whisk together 4 tbsp. cornstarch with 5-6 tbsp of hot liquid from your pot. Dump this into your pressure cooker. Stir. Allow to bubble and the sauce to thicken.
Continue to cook until veggies are as tender as you’d like them to be. Turn pot off. Remember that sauce will continue to thicken as it sits.
Cut cooked biscuits into small pieces and serve on top of your beef pot pie soup or on the side.
May wish to add more salt at the end Let us know what you think!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Looking for other ideas you’ll love?
- Then try our Instant Pot beef tips recipe, as well as other Instant Pot beef roast recipes.
- Turkey pot pie soup is great with Thanksgiving leftover meat.
- And our pressure cooker chicken pot pie soup too.
- made in under 15 minutes on high pressure this is a great second meal
- We have even more Instant Pot beef recipes here as well.
Pressure Cooker Beef Pot Pie Soup
- 1.5-2 lb stew meat or steak cut into bite size pieces
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 oz.
- 1 large onion sliced or diced
- 1 medium russet potato diced or sliced (the smaller the softer they will be)
- 11 oz tomato sauce or V8 juice
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 c beef stock or broth, depends on how thick you want it, I used 20 oz
- 1 c frozen mixed vegetables optional
- 3/4 c mushrooms quartered, optional
- 4 tbsp cornstarch if you want it thicker
- 1 pkg. refrigerated biscuits optional
- 1 can kidney beans optional, 15 oz. drained
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 bell pepper diced, optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- Set pot to saute. Add your beef stew meat that has been cut into bite size pcs. with olive oil. Then add your sliced onions, bell peppers, cajun seasoning, salt and garlic salt. Cook until outsides are no longer pink. Turn pot off.
- Add drained can of kidney beans, tomato sauce or V8, diced tomatoes and potato, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, basil, minced garlic and broth. Stir so everything is combined well.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 35 minutes. When done allow pot to naturally release steam for 10 minutes, then release rest of steam.
- Open lid. Stir. Turn pot to saute and add frozen vegetables and quartered mushrooms if you choose to add them. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- In a small bowl whisk together 4 tbsp. cornstarch with 5-6 tbsp of hot liquid from your pot. Dump this into your pressure cooker. Stir. Allow to bubble and the sauce to thicken.
- Continue to cook until veggies are as tender as you'd like them to be. Turn pot off. Remember that sauce will continue to thicken as it sits.
- Cut cooked biscuits into small pieces and serve on top of your beef pot pie soup or on the side.May wish to add more salt at the end.