This chile relleno casserole recipe is a great brunch item or for dinner some night. Inexpensive with tons of flavor and a cheesy top layer.
Throwing a get together and want something that everyone will rave about? Try this chile relleno casserole recipe using ground beef or sausage and lots of cheese. Just one quick and easy casserole recipe on our site.(affiliate links present)
I suppose you could make it dairy free but honestly the best part is the cheesy layer.
Chile Relleno Casserole
What are chile rellenos made of?
In their traditional form poblano peppers are stuffed with cheese and lightly battered with an egg dip similar to tempura batter and then fried. In this version it’s deconstructed, meat is added, and canned green chiles are used.
You’d want to do this before battering. In a casserole version you could freeze it prepared before baking. You’d need to allow it to defrost entirely before baking as suggested below.
We have made stuffed poblano peppers and grilled them before on the barbecue. Those were great but rather time consuming for sure. Similar to our stuffed pepper casserole it is easier to skip stuffing all together.
You’ll need to precook the meat in a pan on the stovetop or make air fryer ground beef before adding into the rest of the mix. Alternatively you can use a roll of spicy Jimmy Dean sausage, that is amazing!!
- Cream cheese should be room temperature so it is easier to mix with other ingredients and stays smooth.
- Beef or sausage cooked ahead of time
- Diced green chiles can be found mild or spicy
- or make your own freshly roasted green chiles in a smoker or grill, they’re actually pretty easy to prepare
- Eggs are best if they’re room temp. but I don’t always remember to leave them out for a bit.
- Heavy cream
- Salt and pepper and/or any other seasonings you normally use to make this Mexican dinner.
- 9×13″ baking dish and a bit of non stick cooking spray
If I can find it I like our favorite Mexican blend of cheeses that is pre-shredded with cheddar cheese and some Monterey jack cheese together. There is already a bit of taco seasoning inside so it adds to the flavors.
You can do what is suggested below where cheese is mixed in AND added to the top as you see here or just do one. Like I said, in our chili relleno casserole I always load it up.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Chile Relleno Casserole Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×13 casserole dish with non stick spray. Pour diced or chopped green chilies into dish and spread so layer is even all the way across pan.
In a bowl pour the eggs, cream cheesee, heavy cream and seasonings until it is well blended and creamy.
Cook ground beef on stovetop until golden browned, drain and add into bowl with 1 1/2 cup to 2 cups of cheese. Fold this together.
Put dollops of ground beef mixture into your pan and then smooth so it’s the same thickness across the pan. Top dish with remaining cup of cheese.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until the eggs are completely set in the middle and no longer runny.
Remove and set on cooling rack to solidify before slicing. Serve with some sour cream on top of each serving.
You can find everything you need at your local grocery store, some items can be ordered online. As far as homemade Mexican food goes this one is pretty darn good. Here are a few other favorites;
- Copycat Taco Bell Mexican pizza turns out really good with some tortillas and similar items you see here.
- You can make air fryer stuffed peppers some night too. They are great with a crispy top layer but similar flavors to this one.
- Instant Pot Mexican chicken and rice is amazing if you haven’t tried that one yet.
Here’s what it looks like when served up at a get together. I guarantee you’ll be asked for the recipe by at least one person there. Share!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Chile Relleno Casserole Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9×13" dish with non stick spray.
- Pour chiles into dish and spread so layer is even all the way across pan.
- In a bowl mix together cream cheese, eggs, heavy cream and seasonings until it is well blended and creamy.
- Cook ground beef or sausage on stovetop until browned, drain and add into bowl with 2 c. of your cheese. Fold together.
- Dollop ground beef mix into pan and then smooth so it's the same thickness across the pan.
- Top dish with remaining 1 c cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the eggs are completely set in the middle.
- Remove and set on cooling rack to solidify before slicing.