This easy Mexican pizza casserole is just amazing! Cheesy layered tortillas with chunky salsa and beef, it’s my family’s favorite comfort food!
This easy Mexican pizza casserole (I like to call it) was created kinda’ by accident. Don’t you love it when you have a few ingredients you need to use or else they will spoil so you throw them together hoping it will come out well and it comes out SO delicious?? Well it did and I thought I’d share it with you so you can make it for your family too! (originally published 5/17)
Well months ago I created a chicken tortilla bake casserole dish that came out great too and this came to mind when I had tortillas, salsa, and a pound of ground beef that needed to be cooked soon.
Everyone loves Taco Bell’s Mexican pizzas, and those remind me of this dish. Layers of tortillas (I used flour tortillas this time), cheese, beef, and lots of creamy sauce with a kick!
You can make it as spicy as you want, or use a milder salsa and then allow those who love a lot of spice to just add it to the top once it is served, either way this has become one of our favorite meals that is really easy to throw together (which I love).
This is what you will need to make our easy Mexican pizza casserole
This picture is what made me think of a Mexican pizza casserole more than a pie but you could go either way really. I found the large burrito style tortillas at the store right along side the small and “regular” sized ones, I used both spicy jack and cheddar cheeses but you could use either or if you prefer. I don’t like a lot of spice but this is perfect for all of us, and packed full of flavor.
Here’s the recipe and video (video shows a version without the cream of mushroom, we preferred with after comparing the two but both are fabulous)
After you make this you’ve got to try our Instant Pot Mexican pizza too and these other fun meals too
Mexican Pizza Casserole
- Cook your ground beef with your diced onions, drain fat. Put in a bowl.
- Add your cream of mushroom soup and salsa in with your ground beef and stir well. Shred your cheeses and mix in another bowl.
- Spray non stick spray inside your pie plate and push 1 large tortilla inside. A bit of it will go up on the sides which is good.
- Spread 1/3 of your ground beef mixture on the tortilla, followed by 1/3 of your cheeses.
- Lay another tortilla down and continue to layer, last tortilla then remaining third of beef mixture and cheese on top.
- Put in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes just so everything can meld together.
- Cut like a pie and serve topped with more salsa, salsa verde, sour cream, guacamole, avocado or anything else you like!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉