Here’s an easy copycat Taco Bell Mexican pizza casserole is just amazing! Cheesy layered tortillas with chunky salsa and beef, it’s my family’s favorite comfort food!
This easy Mexican pizza casserole (I like to call it) was created kinda’ by accident. Don’t you love it when you have a few ingredients you need to use or else they will spoil so you throw them together hoping it will come out well and it comes out SO delicious?? (affiliate links present)
Mexican Pizza Recipe
You can make it as spicy as you want, or use a milder salsa and then allow those who love a lot of spice to just add it to the top once it is served. Either way this has become one of our favorite meals that is really easy to throw together (which I love).
The biggest difference for this vs. the fast food restaurant is ours is much larger and will feed 4 or so. You could use smaller tortillas for individual portions if you preferred.
Mexican Pizza Casserole
- Pie plate
- Large tortillas
- Pico de gallo salsa
- Ground beef and taco seasoning
- Shredded cheese
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- canned or homemade mushroom soup
Toppings can be green onions or sour cream! Feel like you need a side dish? Make our easy Jiffy Mexican cornbread too.
Copycat Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
This picture is what made me think of a Mexican pizza casserole more than a pie but you could go either way really. I found the large burrito style tortillas at the store right along side the small and “regular” sized ones.
- Both spicy jack and cheddar cheeses were used, but you could use either or if you prefer.
- If you like a lot of spice add some chili powder but this is perfect for all of us with the ingredients listed below.
Here are the step by step directions and video (video shows a version without the cream of mushroom, we preferred with after comparing the two but both are fabulous)
- In a skillet over medium heat, precook ground beef, onion and garlic in pan on stovetop. Add taco seasoning into your meat mixture after draining fat.
Mexican Pizza Taco Bell
Lay large burrito size tortilla inside pie pan sprayed with non stick cooking spray
- Top with 1/3 beef mixture, then 1/3 cheese (could spread a thin layer of refried beans on tortilla too if you wanted)
- Continue with this layering with top being a layer of cheese
- Put into preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Allow to sit 10-15 minutes to solidify, then slice and serve with toppings
Air Fryer Mexican Pizza
If you wanted to make a smaller version of this follow the same directions except with taco size tortillas. Use a springform pan instead of a pie plate and layer the same. Set inside a preheated machine at 380 and you just need enough time to get the cheese to melt, maybe 4-6 minutes.
After you make this you’ve got to try our Instant Pot Mexican pizza too and these other fun meals too
Well months ago I created a chicken tortilla bake casserole dish that came out great too and this came to mind when I had tortillas, salsa, and a pound of ground beef that needed to be cooked soon.
What is on a Mexican Pizza
Toppings you might enjoy, though you can really load this up with anything and everything that comes to mind y’all.
- Petite diced tomatoes taste great and are traditionally served on top.
- Diced or sliced green onions make it pretty and add a bit of texture too.
I remember them putting lots of sliced black olives on mine as a kid so I love those.
- Diced chives work too.
- Sour cream and guacamole are my favorites for sure.
This casserole reminds me of that favorite fast food dish. Layers of tortillas (I used flour tortillas this time), cheese, beef, and lots of creamy sauce with a kick!
- Slow cooker pizza casserole is a fun one my girls love.
- Our Instant Pot Mexican casserole is the bomb
- This is how to steam Instant Pot tamales in your cooker
Enchilada lasagna is fabulous seen below. A throw together dish at it’s finest.
How many calories in a Mexican pizza from Taco Bell?
Let’s start out with saying this isn’t a diet food by any means. Comfort food is what we’re going for y’all so keep that in mind.
- Theirs typically runs about 540 calories if you ate the entire thing yourself.
- Ours is just 346 calories if you at 1/4 of the whole pie! That is way better if you ask me but nobody did so there’s that. 😉
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Taco Bell copycat recipe
- I think our carnitas are even better than theirs, and you can top them with all sorts of things in your own kitchen for dinner.
- You can make Ninja Foodi taco pasta or Instant Pot Mexican chicken and rice for a great twist.
Instead of just ground beef, we have a bunch of different Instant Pot tacos we’ve made.
Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
- 1 pie pan
- 1 pan
- Cook your ground beef with your diced onions until meat is no longer pink, drain fat. Add broth and packet of taco seasonings, toss to coat. Put in a bowl.
- Add your cream of mushroom soup, canned diced chiles, and salsa in with your ground beef and stir well. Shred your cheeses and mix in another bowl.
- Spray non stick spray inside your pie plate and push 1 large burrito size tortilla inside. A bit of tortilla will lay up on the sides which is good.
- Spread 1/3 of your ground beef mixture on the tortilla, followed by 1/3 of your cheeses.
- Lay another tortilla down and continue to layer, on the last tortilla add the remaining third of beef mixture and cheese on the very top.
- Put in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes just so everything can meld together. Allow to sit when done for 10 minutes to solidify a bit.
- Cut like a pie and serve topped with more salsa, salsa verde, sour cream, guacamole, avocado or anything else you like on top!