Here’s an easy copycat Taco Bell Mexican pizza casserole is just amazing! Cheesy layered tortillas with chunky salsa and beef, it’s my family’s favorite comfort food!
This easy Mexican pizza casserole (I like to call it) was created kinda’ by accident. Don’t you love it when you have a few ingredients you need to use or else they will spoil so you throw them together hoping it will come out well and it comes out SO delicious?? (originally published 5/17, affiliate links present)
You can make it as spicy as you want, or use a milder salsa and then allow those who love a lot of spice to just add it to the top once it is served.
Either way this has become one of our favorite meals that is really easy to throw together (which I love).
Mexican pizza casserole
- Pie plate
- Large tortillas
- Ground beef and taco seasoning
- Shredded cheese
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- canned or homemade mushroom soup
Toppings can be green onions, sour cream!
This picture is what made me think of a Mexican pizza casserole more than a pie but you could go either way really. I found the large burrito style tortillas at the store right along side the small and “regular” sized ones.
- Both spicy jack and cheddar cheeses were used, but you could use either or if you prefer.
- If you like a lot of spice add some chili powder but this is perfect for all of us with the ingredients listed below.
Here are the step by step directions and video (video shows a version without the cream of mushroom, we preferred with after comparing the two but both are fabulous)
- Precook ground beef, onion and garlic in pan on stovetop. Add taco seasoning after draining fat.
Lay large burrito size tortilla inside pie pan sprayed with non stick cooking spray
- Top with 1/3 beef mix, then 1/3 cheese (could spread a thin layer of refried beans on tortilla too if you wanted)
- Continue with this layering with top being a layer of cheese
- Put into preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Allow to sit 10-15 minutes to solidify, then slice and serve with toppings
After you make this you’ve got to try our Instant Pot Mexican pizza too and these other fun meals too
Well months ago I created a chicken tortilla bake casserole dish that came out great too and this came to mind when I had tortillas, salsa, and a pound of ground beef that needed to be cooked soon.
Everyone loves a Taco Bell Mexican pizza.
Toppings you might enjoy, though you can really load this up with anything and everything that comes to mind y’all.
- Petite diced tomatoes taste great and are traditionally served on top.
- Diced or sliced green onions make it pretty and add a bit of texture too.
I remember them putting lots of sliced black olives on mine as a kid so I love those.
- Diced chives work too.
- Sour cream and guacamole are my favorites for sure.
This casserole reminds me of that favorite fast food dish. Layers of tortillas (I used flour tortillas this time), cheese, beef, and lots of creamy sauce with a kick!
- Slow cooker pizza casserole is a fun one my girls love.
- Our Instant Pot Mexican casserole is the bomb
Enchilada lasagna is fabulous seen below. A throw together dish at it’s finest.
How many calories in a Mexican pizza from Taco Bell?
Let’s start out with saying this isn’t a diet food by any means. Comfort food is what we’re going for y’all so keep that in mind.
- Theirs typically runs about 540 calories if you ate the entire thing yourself.
- Ours is just 346 calories if you at 1/4 of the whole pie! That is way better if you ask me but nobody did so there’s that. 😉
Taco Bell copycat recipe
- I think our carnitas are even better than theirs, and you can top them with all sorts of things in your own kitchen for dinner.
- You can make Ninja Foodi taco pasta for a great twist.
Instead of just ground beef, we have a bunch of different Instant Pot tacos we’ve made.
Mexican Pizza Casserole
- Cook your ground beef with your diced onions, drain fat, add packet of taco seasoning to coat. Put in a bowl.
- Add your cream of mushroom soup, canned diced chiles, and salsa in with your ground beef and stir well. Shred your cheeses and mix in another bowl.
- Spray non stick spray inside your pie plate and push 1 large tortilla inside. A bit of tortilla will lay up on the sides which is good.
- Spread 1/3 of your ground beef mixture on the tortilla, followed by 1/3 of your cheeses.
- Lay another tortilla down and continue to layer, on the last tortilla add the remaining third of beef mixture and cheese on the very top.
- Put in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes just so everything can meld together. Allow to sit when done for 10 minutes to solidify a bit.
- Cut like a pie and serve topped with more salsa, salsa verde, sour cream, guacamole, avocado or anything else you like on top!