This creamy chicken tortilla bake casserole is amazing!! My kids favorite cheesy casserole packed with chicken, chiles, and quick to throw together!
This. Is. Amazing. You know when it’s chilly outside and you just have casserole on your mind. It just takes you back to your childhood, at least it does for me. A cheesy chicken tortilla bake casserole is what you need. It’s one of our favorite quick and easy casseroles. 😉 Sponsored by Tyson Foods. (originally published 2/17, affiliate links present)
Easy Chicken Casserole with Cream of Chicken Soup
A casserole to me means that you can really add in as many goodies as you want, or omit a few if you don’t care for them. Like bell peppers. At first I left them out because the kids weren’t too fond of them. Recently though I included 1/2 of one diced and they didn’t mind it.
I like to give the chicken I use a little added punch of flavor by adding some Wish-Bone Italian Dressing to the strips I cut. Then I brown them on the stovetop.
If you’ve never marinaded chicken this way it’s really easy way to “kick it up a notch”. The dressing is packed full of herbs, seasonings, and contains no high fructose corn syrup. It’s also gluten free! You can add some heat in there too if you want. Use a bit of chili powder for that, hot green chiles work as well as red pepper flakes.
Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Bake
These are the 3 main items you will need to make this Chicken Tortilla Casserole. If you’ve never used TortillaLand® Flour Tortillas they are really good. They are different though because they’re refrigerated! Yes, you cook them yourself so they last longer. Yes, talk about fresh!
You just put them in a pan for about 30 seconds on each side. They kind of puff up, and that’s when you know they are done. Cut them up into strips with your cooked chicken. Add all your other ingredients, and you’re ready to bake!
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Flour tortillas are best, corn tortillas just aren’t that great for this
- Diced chicken
- Italian dressing
- Cream of chicken soup
- Diced green chilies
- Sour cream
- Bell pepper
- Diced tomatoes
You’re going to want a lot of shredded cheese too, like a lot. If you need to make this dairy free like I do for my husband Daiya has a great one. It comes shredded and there is a Mexican blend that is quite good. This is close to a 30 minute meal, I mean closer to 45 but still a quick one I can throw together quickly.
Shredded Chicken and Tortilla Recipe
You could use cream of mushroom soup too, either one works great. I have found a dairy free condensed soup before too for my husband if that is a necessity in your house too. So easy right??!! My kids love this casserole and there usually aren’t any leftovers for the next day. You can find everything you need at your local Walmart.
Tyson chicken is found in the meat department. Italian salad dressing is usually amongst the condiments. And remember that TortillaLand Flour Tortillas are in the refrigerated section! The biggest difference between these and packaged ones on the shelf is their texture. When cooking you can get a bit of a crisp to them which will help them firm up and stay in tact.
A help when folding all the ingredients together for sure. Either could be used though, just a note about our preference. I typically will make this leftovers from our Crockpot chicken with Italian dressing. Great because that one uses the same dressing so the flavors are even more intensified.
Yes! For vegetarian chicken tortilla casserole use black beans, tofu, or textured vegetable protein. For a vegan option, ensure that the tortillas, enchilada sauce, and cheese (if using) are all plant-based and free from animal products.
Yes, you can assemble the casserole, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or foil, and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours before baking. When you’re ready to bake, simply remove the cover and follow the baking instructions in the recipe. Note that the tortillas will be much softer this way when done.
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Remember that you can use precooked meat for this if you are in a hurry or have leftovers from the night before. You would still add in with your dressing to add more flavor to the dish. Skipping the first step cooking it in a pan on the stovetop though will save you a decent amount of time. Use what you have on hand I say.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips.
- or use rotisserie chicken and skip sauteeing first step
- if meat is precooked just make shredded chicken out of it
- Add to a large bowl with your Italian dressing and coat all pieces.
- Drain residual dressing and add contents to pan on stovetop.
- Cook until chicken (if raw) is no longer pink over medium heat.
- Dice into smaller bite size pieces and set aside.
- Cook tortillas on stove top (if they aren’t cooked yet) until they puff up signaling they are cooked.
- Slice into long strips.
- Add diced chicken and tortillas into a bowl
- Add all other ingredients except 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Stir so everything is coated.
- Add chicken mixture into a 9×12 casserole baking dish that has been sprayed so your food won’t stick.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes in preheated oven at 350 degrees
- Take foil off and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for another 10 minutes. Allow to sit when you take it out for at least 5 minutes to solidify a bit. Add chives to the top and serve!
Chicken Tortilla Bake
If you love this, try our other casserole recipes we have; Our Mexican Pizza Casserole is always a hit with guests. We have made this in the oven and another version in our pressure cooker. This Swedish meatball casserole is a yummy too! Then give our cheesy chicken broccoli casserole a whirl if you have leftovers some nigt.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Chicken Tortilla Bake
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs Chicken Breasts Boneless Skinless, cut into strips
- 1/3 cup Italian Dressing
- 6 Flour Tortillas TortillaLand we used, cook before adding to mix
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 4 oz diced chilies
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 c cheddar cheese
- Chives – optional
- Cut chicken breasts into strips.
- Add to a bowl with your Italian dressing and coat all pieces. (can let sit and marinate in fridge for an hour for a stronger flavor) Drain residual dressing and add contents to pan on stovetop.
- Cook until chicken is no longer pink, dice into smaller bite size pieces.
- Cook tortillas on stove top until they puff up signaling they are cooked, cut into long strips.
- Add diced chicken and tortillas into a bowl, then add all other ingredients except 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Stir so everything is coated.
- Add to a 9×12 casserole dish that has been sprayed so your food won’t stick.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees, take foil off and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Cook uncovered for another 10 minutes. Allow to sit when you take it out for at least 5 minutes to solidify a bit. Add chives to the top and serve!