Jiffy Mexican cornbread with green chiles and canned corn kernels is the best side dish with chili, meatloaf or soup. The best Jiffy cornbread ever. If you fell in love with our Jiffy hush puppies recipe you are going to love this hack too.
I love Jiffy recipes! That little blue box is good as is but it is great amped up with additional ingredients inside. If you’re looking for the easiest cornbread recipe that tastes amazing, this is it y’all. Just one of many easy side dishes we have shared on our site this month. (affiliate links present, originally published 3/22)
Mexican Cornbread Jiffy
If you’re from the South I bet you have tried this popular side all sorts of ways. From cornbread salad, to Jiffy cornbread in cast iron skillet and more, there are so many ways beyond just muffins. One thing all of these have in common is they start with this little blue and white box.
How you take it from good to great is all about the add ins though right? It’s just like any other cake mix recipe. Bake as the box directs you to or add other flavors and textures so it is no longer “normal”. We may be typical but our family is far from normal.
Mexican Cornbread with Jiffy Mix
When you think of this bread do you think about it being sweet, savory, spicy or a combination of all three? Great thing about this is you can customize it to your liking. When it comes to hatch chiles you can buy them fresh and roast them yourselves, or get them canned. Fresh will be VERY hot if any membrane and/or seeds are left.
Mexican Corn Bake
Take them all out, dice them up fine and just add a few if you want a milder version. A bit of a combination is great if you ask us. Add a little can like we did here with a drizzle of honey when it’s done. OH WOW. This is what you’ll need:
- Large mixing bowl
- Jiffy corn muffin mix
- Eggs – if you cannot have this you can use our no egg dairy free cornbread recipe
- Milk, whole or 2% is best
- Add ins
- canned corn kernels, not creamed corn
- seasonings of choice but salt and pepper is a minimum
- could add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese
- diced green chilies
You’re going to use a 11×7 baking dish to make this, with a little non stick cooking spray inside so it slides out. If you use a smaller dish it will take a bit longer baking time to cook all the way thru in the middle so just keep that in mind. Check with toothpick inserted into the center, if it is no longer wet you’re good.
Mexican Cornbread with Ground Beef
Some like to make this more of a main dish with protein in the dish as well. If you wanted to try this you’d need 1 more step before pouring this batter into the pan.
First you’d want to add your ground turkey, beef or chicken into a pan on the stovetop with just a bit of olive oil.
- Once most of the pink is gone add 1/4 cup of beef broth into the mix + 1 pouch of taco seasoning.
- Stir to combine and meat is coated well.
- Cook for 2 more minutes and then remove from heat.
- some like to fold in 1/2 cup of sour cream at this time too
- Pour this into the bottom of your rectangular baking dish and spread out on to the bottom.
- Then follow the rest of the steps below as you make the batter for the bread and pouring it on top.
Bake as directed below and then when you did in you have both taco meat and a favorite Southern side dish. Or make this a layered dish like we did in our Jiffy tamale pie recipe or cornbread sloppy joe casserole.
What do you serve with Mexican Cornbread?
Well the obvious would be 5 ingredient Crockpot chili, we do this a few times a month. You can crumble it on top and then you get both in each bite or serve them separately. Everyone is different, if your husband is like mine and the rule is no mixing of food (eye roll) then no crumbling for you. 😉
If you wanted to cook this faster you could use a muffin tin instead. Use the timing on the back of the box for that. I used to do this often when my girls were smaller because it was easier for them to pick up. When I’m being kinda’ lazy I will do it this way anyway so I don’t have to slice it.
How to save leftover cornbread
You will want to let it cool completely before saving any of this. If you have quite a bit you could leave in the pan and cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Only a few pieces left? Slide them into a baggie and suck the air out or wrap in foil and leave on the countertop.
Heat if you like when you’re ready for just 30 seconds in the microwave. Enjoy within 2 days for best results and texture.
Easy Mexican Cornbread
I have a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. You can jump to recipe below and get started making your own pan of Jiffy cornbread mix bread yourself.
Here’s a quick rundown, it’s really quite simple. First you want to preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Open and drain your can of corn kernels. Set aside. Alternatively you can cook as Crockpot cornbread
- In a bowl whisk together the corn muffin mix, eggs, and melted butter. Then add milk and fold together until well incorporated.
- Fold in the can of chiles, corn kernels, and sprinkle in a touch of salt and pepper.
- Spray inside of 11×7 pan with non stick cooking spray lightly, or rub insides with vegetable oil on a paper towel.
- Pour batter inside. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Do not over-bake or it will dry out.
Top with a pat of butter or honey and enjoy a square!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Jiffy Mexican Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Open and drain can of corn kernels. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornbread mix, eggs, and melted butter. Then add the milk and fold together until well incorporated.
- Fold in the can of diced chiles and corn kernels, sprinkle in a touch of salt and pepper.
- Spray inside of 11×7 pan with non stick cooking spray lightly. Pour batter inside. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not overbake or it will dry out.
- Remove pan and set on cooling rack, slices better when cooled.