This easy layered cornbread salad recipe is a perfect side dish during the holidays or a barbecue! Layers of corn, cheese and more make it irresistible!
If you’re looking for a great side dish or salad to take to a family gathering or to make for the holidays this easy layered cornbread salad is delicious! I had a version of this when I was down South for a visit and when I was presented with a Chopped at Home Challenge I decided to put a West Coast spin on it. It came out just as delicious as I had remembered! With layers of cornbread, corn, cheeses, bacon, and a creamy sauce to bind it all together, I’ve eaten it for lunch a few times I will admit. 😉 Special thanks goes out to Del Monte® for sponsoring this post so we could share our recipe with you. (originally published 10/17)
The items I was given to incorporate into a tasty dish were Sweet Whole Kernel Corn, feta cheese, basil, and lemon. This is what I came up with.
Then grab these other ingredients to make this easy layered cornbread salad!
- Trifle bowl
- Cornbread – you can use this mix in the oven or use our pressure cooker cornbread recipe
- 3 cans Whole Kernel Corn
- Feta & cheddar cheese
- Pinto beans
- Ranch mix – 1 oz. in a packet or use larger container
- Sour cream
I like to say this is a sweet and savory dish because the slight sweetness of the cornbread and juicy Del Monte Golden Sweet Whole Kernel Corn pairs well with the cheeses and fresh vegetables.
Now this is how you can customize this cornbread salad to your liking:
- If you aren’t a big fan of bell peppers, leave them out.
- Use mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar
- You could us white whole kernel corn if you’d rather
- Some people say they have a hard time finding ranch dressing packets in the store, well you can make your own ranch dressing mix here.
That is why I love this easy side dish. If I forget something or know someone who doesn’t care for one of the ingredients, I can adjust accordingly and it still tastes fabulous.
It’s a great recipe if you have a vegetable garden outside too!
- Green tomatoes would be a yummy substitute if they were in season…just make it yourself and see how much fun it is to make and create. 😉
You can see all the layers here. I decided to load it up this time and increased the amount of corn because I love the vibrant colors. It brings a sweet crunch to this layered cornbread salad too.
I happened to have bacon already so I included that. If you want to make it vegetarian you can easily leave that and/or the cheese out.
If you love layered salads like this you’ll love this 7 layer salad as well as our other side dishes below!
Here’s how you make this cornbread salad recipe
Easy Layered Cornbread Salad
- 4 c Corn canned
- 1/2 c Feta cheese or more if desired
- 3 tbsp basil finely chopped, plus 1 whole for garnish on the top
- 1 Lemon
- 4 medium Tomatoes diced
- 1 c Sour cream
- 1 c mayonnaise
- 1 pkt Ranch dressing mix
- 1 1/2 Bell peppers I use 1/2 of all 3 colors - optinal
- 30 oz Pinto beans
- 1/2 c Green onions optional
- 2 c cheddar cheese
- 7 strips Bacon optional
- 16 oz Cornbread mix
- Chop and dice all your vegetables.
- Mix together your tomatoes, bell peppers, and green onions if you included them.
- In another bowl whisk together your mayo, sour cream, and ranch dressing mix packet. (I then spoon it into a pint freezer bag so I can squeeze it out.)
- Bake your cornbread according to the directions on the package. Cook your bacon and dice it up when it is cooked and cooled.
- When cornbread is cool use a fork to mash it up into a sand like texture.
- In a tall trifle dish layer 1/3 of your ingredients at a time. Start with the crushed cornbread, then your tomato mixture, then your two layers of cheeses, followed by pinto beans, chopped bacon, corn, and sprinkle of chopped basil.
- Squeeze 1/3 of your mayonnaise mixture on top in a swirl.
- Do 2 more layers this way until all of your ingredients are gone.
- Put 1 whole piece of basil on top to garnish, and squeeze half a lemon over the top!
- Serve immediately or keep cool in your fridge for an hour or two and then serve.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉