This is how you make foil packet grilled stuffed peppers on the barbecue or for a campfire if you’re camping! Easy vegetarian dinner stuffed with lots of vegetables or with ground beef and rice as well for a heartier meal. No matter how you cook them, these grilled poblano peppers are amazing.
My family loves grilled stuffed peppers. During the summer we like to do them on the barbecue!! This foil packet meal is a great one for a weeknight meal or if you have company over. If you loved our baked stuffed bell peppers recipe, but want to cook outside this is how to do it. (affiliate links present, originally published 6/16)
Grilled Poblano Peppers
They are easy and can be made vegetarian if you prefer too. There’s just enough spice to them and are quite a healthy barbecue meal packed with lots of flavor Don’t these just look heavenly??!! One of our favorite foil packet meals for camping.
Well there is a lot of versatility to this recipe depending on what you like inside your stuffed peppers. We have made them with cream cheese and sausage like our stuffed mini sweet peppers. For this one the base is white rice.
- I have added ground beef into the mixture from time to time but it is your choice.
This one is a bit different because it is cooked on the grill in a foil packet and is meatless….but nontheless incredible!! Here’s how you make it.
Grilled Stuffed Peppers with Rice
First you will need as many poblano peppers as you think you will need (2 per person I would average). A rice cooker is helpful just to speed up the process, if you don’t have one I use mine all the time and it’s still going after 10 years.
- If you have a pressure cooker here’s how to make the perfect Instant Pot white rice which takes no time at all.
Gather all of your ingredients in the recipe below and get to dicing at home.
Grilled stuffed peppers
You’re going to want to dice your veggies and spices fairly fine and about the same size, in regards to the carrot, tomatoes, pea pods, and onion so that they cook evenly inside your grilled stuffed peppers.
Add everything including your brown rice (you could use white) into a bowl and mix well so everything is coated in goodness and then create your foil packets.
- poblano peppers
- if you want to ensure they come out really tender you can blanch peppers at the beginning
- pea pods
- cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- cayenne powder
- salt and pepper
Of course you’ll need some tinfoil to wrap them all up so they can cook and not burn.
Stuffed Peppers on the Grill in Foil
How Long to Grill Stuffed Peppers
Aluminum works great for cooking anything on your Traeger. We use the same technique for grilling shrimp in foil packets too. Generously stuff your peppers. If you are making more than 2 peppers then just double or triple the recipe.
If you want to add meat, brown about 1/2 lb. and add that to your mixture too. The steam inside the foil packets will steam everything really well so even the peppers will get nice and soft.
- You want to start by pre heating the grill to medium high.
- Combine the cooked rice with the vegetables, seasonings, pinch of salt & pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Stuff the peppers with the rice mixture.
- Lay out a large rectangle of aluminum foil, place in the middle on it’s side. Drizzle with Olive oil. Wrap loosely.
- Place directly on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 5 mins.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Open one and check for tenderness
- Be very careful when opening, the steam is extremely hot.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Grilled Stuffed Peppers
- Pre heat the grill to medium high. Combine the cooked rice with the vegetables, seasonings, pinch of salt & pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Stuff the peppers with the rice mixture. Lay out a large rectangle of aluminum foil, place pepper in the middle. Drizzle with Olive oil. Wrap loosely. Place the peppers on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 5 mins.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for an additional 10 minutes. Be very careful when opening, the steam is extremely hot.