How to make the perfect quinoa in your Instant Pot, slow cooker, or on your stove top! Perfectly fluffy every time it’s the best gluten free side dish ever.
We have always been a big fan of rice, but the perfect quinoa is a great side dish too. It can even made to be sweet and eaten for breakfast! This grain is very versatile and a great alternative especially if you’re looking for something that’s naturally gluten free! (originally published 6/18)
Is quinoa better for you than rice? With more nutrients than rice, quinoa has three types but we are only speaking about the traditional white variety.
- There is a red and black version too but those take longer to cook and are crunchier than this popular version.
It is said to have more nutrients than traditional white rice + lots of amino acids too so comparing the two quinoa is said and thought to be healthier. If you haven’t tried it as an alternate it is definitely different but great when included in a casserole such as this one.
Ok so the general rule for cooking the perfect quinoa is using a 1:2 ratio of traditional quinoa to water.
I found that allowing it to sit and fluff up using a natural release of steam, instead of releasing the steam quickly, helps when using your pressure cooker.
I am going to focus on Instant Pot quinoa in this post since that is how I make it primarily, but have included the two other popular methods of cooking it as well in case you haven’t jumped on the pressure cooker band wagon yet. 😉
- Pressure cooker quinoa literally takes just ONE minute to cook, super quick cook time I know!
- The trick to making it just right is allowing it to sit for a bit in the high heat once it’s done.
When you allow your Instant Pot to naturally release the steam for about 15 minutes it creates perfectly fluffy quinoa that’s tender and just right served as a side dish or ready for you to add in yummy add ins like fruit and honey!
How to cook perfect quinoa on the stove top:
- Add 1 cup white pre rinsed dry quinoa + 2 cups of cold water to a pot
- can order it here or in a grocery store next to the grains
- it is good to rinse the quinoa before adding
- Bring to a boil over medium heat
- Cover the pan with a lid on your pot and simmer
- Lower your heat to low
- Simmer about 10-12 minutes until desired tenderness
- if doubling you may need to adjust to 15 to 20 minutes cook time
- Serve in a quinoa salad or
I’ve heard of some using their rice cooker as an alternative but I haven’t tried that as of yet.
How to cook Quinoa in your crockpot:
- Add 1:2 ratio of quinoa and water
- Usually want to add at least 2 cups quinoa + 4 cups water but can add more, just use this ratio
- Put lid on
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours or until desired tenderness
If you’re looking for more easy Instant Pot grain and other quinoa recipes, others below:
Here’s Instant Pot Quinoa directions below:
Instant Pot Perfect Quinoa
- 1.5 c quinoa traditional quinoa
- 2 1/4 c water could use broth if desired
- Put quinoa and water into Instant Pot, close lid and steam valve.
- Set to pressure high for 1 minute.
- Allow to naturally release for 15 minutes.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉