You’ve got to try this pressure cooker breakfast quinoa topped with fruit and honey! Great alternative to oatmeal and a healthy meal to start your day. Crockpot and stovetop methods included too.
Have you ever made the perfect quinoa? Well it was something new to me this year and I absolutely love it! As a side dish it is wonderful, and a great alternative to rice with more protein. This time we thought we’d sweeten it up and make some pressure cooker breakfast quinoa topped with honey and fruit, everyone loved it in our house and it’s now added to our 101+ easy Instant Pot recipes page too. (originally published 10/18, affiliate links present)
This is what our pressure cooker breakfast quinoa looked like when it was done.
Like I said, I always just cooked Instant Pot white rice as a side dish or oatmeal for breakfast.
That is until I decided to make this pressure cooker chicken quinoa casserole and had some quinoa left over so I thought about what I could make next. I hate to waste food so it had to be used. It was summertime and we had tons of fresh fruit in the refrigerator so I thought about making a sweet quinoa instead of savory. I was surprised at how yummy it was, and have made it over and over again since then.
We made Instant Pot quinoa here but if you don’t have a pressure cooker you can make it on your stovetop or even in your slow cooker too! I have included the directions for other methods below but in the recipe card it explains how to make the perfect quinoa in your pressure cooker.
If you make it another way then just follow the amounts below as far as toppings go but really you should use what you have at home or what is in season in your area as far as fruit goes.
My very favorite fruit is blueberries but anything in season would be great!
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make pressure cooker breakfast quinoa
- Quinoa – this is the one I used
- Brown sugar
- Fresh fruit
- Milk is good on top too
How to cook perfect Quinoa on the stove top:
- Add 1 cup quinoa + 2 cups of water to a pot
- Bring to a boil
- Put a lid on your pot
- Lower your heat to low
- Simmer about 10-12 minutes until desired tenderness
- Add 1:2 ratio of quinoa and water
- Usually want to add at least 2 cups quinoa + 4 cups water but can add more, just use this ratio
- Put lid on
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours or until desired tenderness
Why should you eat quinoa
- It’s high in protein
- Quinoa is high in fiber
- It is naturally gluten free
- It has a lot of minerals
If you want some other easy pressure cooker recipes here are a few favorites:
- Pressure cooker jam using any fruit in season on toast
- Instant Pot rice pudding recipe
- Sweet Pressure cooker churro bites are like little donuts
- Cheesy Pressure cooker breakfast using eggs and making a savory bundt cake!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Here’s the printable recipe for how to make sweet Instant Pot breakfast quinoa.
Pressure Cooker Breakfast Quinoa
- Put your water and quinoa into your Instant Pot.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to pressure high for 1 minute.
- Allow to naturally release for 10-15 minutes (I usually rest for 15 minutes).
- Release rest of steam if there is any.
- Put into bowls and top with a sprinkle of brown sugar, berries, and drizzle with honey.
- You could put a bit of milk, half and half, or even flavored creamer on top too. Dress it up like you would oatmeal in the morning and enjoy!