This easy pressure cooker chicken quinoa casserole is healthy and yummy! I’ll show you a simple Instant Pot chicken cabbage soup recipe too!
If you’re looking for a few healthy electric pressure cooker recipes this easy pressure cooker chicken quinoa casserole should make your list! Packed with vegetables, lots of spices and quinoa it is a complete meal all thrown into one pot and done in less than 25 minutes flat! It’s one of our latest Instant Pot recipes that was shared with me by my cousin who is new to the IP world but came out with this winner winner chicken dinner. 😉
Everyone in my family knows that I’m kinda’ obsessed with my fancy multi cooker since they first came out almost 2 years ago.
Ever since then I’ve experimented with just about every type of meat, made side dishes, and even yummy desserts!
But when it comes to healthy Instant Pot recipes this pressure cooker chicken quinoa casserole is on the top.
So……when my cousin got one recently she too started experimenting and adapted my Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole into her own version using more veggies and quinoa instead of rice.
Of course we all tweak recipes to make it suit our tastes but I used her basic instructions and cooked it up myself tonight…it was yummy!
She was unsure how to cook quinoa inside this dish so hers came out like an Instant Pot chicken cabbage soup (similar to what you see below), then she cooked her quinoa separately, drained the liquid and put her chicken cabbage creation on top (picture of hers at the bottom of this post).
SO…..that is the FIRST way you could make this:
- Make the perfect quinoa in your Instant Pot, slow cooker, or on the stove top
- Then cook this recipe stopping after step 6 of the recipe below, use only 1 3/4 c. chicken broth
- Serve vegetable/chicken/cabbage mixture on top of quinoa
The SECOND way you could make and serve this is:
- Make this as Instant Pot chicken cabbage soup
- Make recipe below as stated with 2.5 c. chicken broth
- Stop when the initial cooking is done, step 6
- Do not add quinoa or cook a second time
- Serve as soup and enjoy!
The THIRD way you can make this is as pressure cooker chicken quinoa casserole:
- Chicken – I used chicken thighs (I feel they are more tender and have more flavor) but you could use chicken breasts
- Fresh green beans
- Chicken broth
- Traditional quinoa (not quick style) – this is what I used
- Garlic – minced in jar is what I use
- Lots of spices – add more or omit any
I like to make everything in one pot if possible. Typically I make a lot of Instant Pot casseroles but this was the first with quinoa. It turned out great. Of course everyone likes a bit different consistency/stiffness when it comes to rice and quinoa I feel but 4 minutes was perfect for us.
I will also say that the vegetables and cabbage are soft when done.
Here was the inspiration and where it all started!!
She is a rockstar for creating this as a newbie.
As you can see it was served on top of quinoa that was cooked separately…..so if you don’t like to cook everything together this is a great option (she used chicken breasts also, thus the difference in appearance).
Here’s our pesto chicken quinoa casserole made in our 6 qt. Instant Pot!
Of course you can make it in larger pots and if so you could increase the amount of cabbage inside.
- 1/3 of a head cubed was enough for mine so I didn’t fill it more than 3/4 of the way full. If you do overfill with cabbage it may not reach pressure at all.
After you’ve tried this you should try our pressure cooker breakfast quinoa recipe too.
Pressure Cooker Chicken Quinoa Casserole
- 6 chicken thighs boneless, skinless, cubed
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 1.5 c green beans fresh, ends cut off, cut in half
- 1/3 cabbage cut into chunks
- 4 tbsp pesto
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3/4 tsp garlic minced, I use jarred
- 2-2.5 c chicken broth depending if you're making the casserole or cabbage soup
- 1 c quinoa not quick quinoa, traditional
- Cube your chicken thighs and add it to the pot (you can use 2 chicken breasts cubed if you prefer).
- Add your onion, celery, green beans and all of your spices. Stir until well combined.
- Add cabbage cut into chunks on top of this chicken/spice mixture (don't fill pot more than 3/4 of the way full, I have a 6 qt. and 1/3 of a head was about what would fit, larger pots you could add a bit more).
- Pour chicken broth on top. If you are making chicken quinoa casserole use 1 3/4 c. broth, if you're making chicken cabbage soup add 2-2.5 c depending on how soupy you want it.
- Push the poultry button on your Instant Pot and adjust the time to 13 minutes.
- Do a quick release.
- Open lid and add 1 c of uncooked traditional quinoa, stir.
- Close lid, close steam valve, and set to pressure high for 4 minutes. (times on this may vary depending on how tender you like your quinoa, but we use 4 min.)
- Do a quick release and serve!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉