Best air fryer vegetables you will ever make are here! No breading, just seasonings and mixed vegetables cooked to perfection. A healthy side dish fave.
OH MY goodness did these air fryer vegetables turn out good!! I literally threw them together one night when we needed a healthy side dish and was surprised at how much my kids actually loved them. Using mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash and an onion this time they came out perfectly tender with a bit of crisp on the edges. On our air fryer recipe rotation for sure now. (originally published 9/19, affiliate links present)
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
Vegetables in air fryer
- This was the first time using my new Ninja Foodi Grill.
- You can see below how I made 6 brats and then these mixed vegetables.
- The perfect meal I tell you!
You can use any electric air fryer or Ninja Foodi machine you have though. Even some convection ovens offer an air fry feature now!
There are many brands out there and yes, I have a few.
Not really. Since you are cooking with hot air, it cannot solidify and crisp the wet batter in the way that hot oil does on contact. That is why breadcrumbs work best.
I will start by stating I haven’t done this yet, and don’t know if I would really. I prefer fresh produce all the way and these 4 are almost always in the store year round, that is why I chose these particular ones
Very much so. You only need a bit of olive oil and seasonings, or can even use just a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Skip the breading like this entirely and they’re a really healthy side dish.
First question I have been asked is: can you cook veggies in the air fryer?
- YES! I will show you how here. But what veggies can you cook in an air fryer? All the things I tell you!!
- I chose what we love and what was in season at the time, I suggest you follow the same rule. These 4 make great air fryer mixed vegetables though though.
Air fryer vegetables
- You can print my free air fryer cook times chart here for reference.
- This is where you can get produce delivered to your door.
This time I chose what looked good in the produce section of our grocery store which was:
- Yellow squash
I actually asked my husband for cauliflower instead of mushrooms but apparently there was a lack of communication so this is what I got. (eye roll) BUT it actually came out better than the latter so maybe it was meant to be. 😉
Are yellow squash and zucchini the same thing?
Besides the color, the main difference between the two vegetables is the shape. Zucchini is straight, where yellow squash has a fat bottom that’s thinner at the neck.
Yellow squash can also have more seeds in its flesh. Both are summer squash varieties, are inexpensive, and grow like crazy in a vegetable garden.
For the air fryer zucchini seasonings and to get a little crisp on the outsides I used what I had on hand which was:
- Olive oil
- Italian seasonings
- Lawrys seasoned salt
- Garlic salt
- Salt and pepper to taste when they’re done
Unlike our air fryer zucchini fries and zucchini chips recipes, there is no breading on these vegetables. I did this on purpose (sort of) so they would be gluten free, low carb, keto friendly and as healthy as possible.
- Yes you can fry these in oil and tempura batter if you want to go all out, but air fryer mixed vegetables are really the bomb! Fried food is like a brick in my stomach, no bueno.
Frozen vegetables in the air fryer
- Add one layer of frozen vegetables that aren’t overlapping
- Put in the air fryer basket at 375° for 12 minutes
- Check halfway through to shake the basket and make sure they’re browning evenly
- Then again every couple minutes at the end
- Add more time if you like your veggies more charred
Air fryer vegetable recipe
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Air fryer vegetables
- Prepare vegetables
Slice zucchini and yellow squash into 3/4″ dials, slice onion, and mushrooms in half.
- Add other ingredients
Add veggies to a bowl and toss to coat with olive oil, salt and seasonings. 1 minute stirring gently is plenty. (you can add diced pre cooked linked sausage too using the same timing)
- Preheat air fryer
Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
Add half of your veggies into your air fryer basket. Set to 400 degrees for 10 minutes, remove, and add second half. This will take a total of 20 minutes if using the same amount of vegetables I did.
If your basket is small make in 3 separate batches, so it may take 30 minutes total.
Serve and eat immediately for best results.
Air fryer vegetables and sausage
To make an even heartier meal add some pre cooked sausage to the mix!! You can see here how I just diced a Hillshire Farms smoked sausage link.
- Use the same timing and you may need to just increase the olive oil by another 1/2 tbsp.
- Just make sure everything is kinda’ shiny and coated but not soaking.
- Air fry at the same temp, flipping every 5 minutes until all contents are browned as much as you’d like!
I didn’t serve these with any dipping sauces since there’s no breading but I guess you could have a bit of Ranch available for picky eaters.
Air fryer vegetable recipes
- Try our air fryer brussels sprouts
- Our mushrooms in air fryer and sweet potatoes in the air fryer are perfect side dishes
- and air fryer green beans too
If you only have a pressure cooker (or your air fryer is busy), you can make Instant Pot steamed vegetables this way too.
- Both are low carb healthy side dishes for sure.
- You can even make a batch of smoked vegetables if you’re cooking outside.
Air Fryer Vegetables
- Slice zucchini and yellow squash into dials. The thinner they are the softer they will get. I would recommend 3/4" thick so they all are the same consistency when done.
- Slice mushrooms in half. Put all vegetables in a bowl and toss together gently. (if you want to add 1/2-1 full precooked sausage link diced into bite size pcs., add that now too)
- Pour olive oil on top and toss gently, then sprinkle in all seasonings in bowl and gently toss one more time.
- Add half of your vegetables into your air fryer, close, and set to 400 degrees for 10 minutes. I did not bother shaking or tossing halfway through and they came out amazing.
- Remove, enjoy, and add other half at 400 degrees for 10 minutes to finish cooking batch.