Ninja Foodi Grill steak and potatoes recipe + how to use this new air fryer and indoor grill. I share a review of what I think and what I like about it.
Looking for a Ninja Foodi Grill review before you buy one?? Well I am sharing my thoughts with all of you today! I have a Ninja Foodi pressure cooker and air fryer but this is something all together different. (affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Indoor Grill
I will tell you what I have already so you understand how many kitchen gadgets I’ve tested out:
- 4 Instant Pots, all 6 qts and 1 mini + a CrispLid to turn an Instant Pot into an air fryer
- 1 Mealthy pressure cooker pot
- 2 Crockpot Express pots, a 6 qt and 8 qt
- 1 Ninja Foodi 6 qt pot
- 1 Cosori air fryer
Yes I have a few traditional slow cookers too and now I just added this Ninja Foodi Grill!
Update – Now they have a Ninja Smart Grill you can get that offers a few other perks and tricks to cooking food perfectly.
Ninja Foodi Grill Steak Recipe
I know that seems excessive but since I cook and do reviews for a living I have been lucky enough to receive several of these free of charge so I can share my thoughts with all of you. I received this Ninja Grill because I contributed a recipe to a Ninja Foodi cookbook they are currently creating.
- Honestly, I wasn’t so sure I really needed this. I really wanted a Foodi in white but they ran out and I was left choosing this to try out.
We have a large outdoor grill at our home and a smoker so I thought the last thing I needed was an indoor grill. BUT at our cabin up in Northern Idaho we didn’t have any way to grill so I had this sent there.
I made this Ninja Foodi Pro Grill review video while I made the first thing in it which was brats and air fryer vegetables!
WATCH A VIDEO of me using mine here.
Ninja Foodie Grill
I only used a few ingredients to make dinner tonight, and took a few photos to show you here.
If you love grilling but you live in an area where you won’t want to cook outside year round, then yes. Looking for a multi function air fryer, this has a few functions so save room on your countertop.
As opposed to typical air fryer recipes, you don’t want to use olive oil spray in this machine. Instead, choose avocado oil to crisp foods, this will avoid the smoking.
Another thing to check is the temperature. If it is too high your food may be burning. Turn it down and see if that helps
We have step by step directions to make air fryer bacon for you right here. It is the only way we make it now.
Ninja Foodi Grill steak
- Steak – we used 2 sirloin and 1 filet mignon
- This steak seasoning
- Avocado oil
- do not use olive oil (which I normally do) because it tends to smoke
- I tried it and in fact it turned on the smoke alarm so I won’t be doing that again
- Grill grate
We recently made air fryer steak bites too which were out of this world and can be made in this pot too.
I would highly recommend making both and see which is your favorite.
I wanted just an easy throw together meal so this premade steak seasoning is all I used and it worked really great.
- If you want a killer homemade steak seasoning on it use the one here on my air fryer steak recipe.
To make a batch of simple air fryer baked potatoes you just need:
- Russet potatoes
- Sea salt
- Avocado oil
- Air crisper basket
I just used the temperature and timing on our air fryer cooking times chart here. You can print that off for reference here too.
No this Ninja Foodi Grill steak and potatoes isn’t all cooked at the same time, that isn’t possible. You will need to use the air fryer function, and then grill your meat.
I suggest air frying potatoes first because they will stay warm longer and take the longest to cook.
- I had 2 sirloin steaks and 1 filet mignon in my freezer so that is what I used. The cook time will vary depending on how well done you like your meat.
The nice thing about using this indoor grill is you can easily lift the top up and look at them. You can generally do a touch test for steak doneness. If it is too rare then just close the lid again and continue cooking.
So what are my thoughts?
Since we don’t have a barbecue or grill at our cabin this is REALLY nice to have. Even if we had one the winters are pretty tough here and we wouldn’t be cooking outside at all, so an indoor grill is perfect.
- It is easy to clean, I love that. Pieces are dishwasher safe too.
- Foodi grill vs propane gas is cheaper and no need to remember to fill up your tank.
- I do have a stand alone air fryer so that function isn’t a huge plus to me as you have to use one function at a time. It would be faster for me to have the potatoes in the other machines and just make char grilled steaks in this.
- BUT if you don’t have another machine like this and have limited counter space I think this combo is a great choice.
What would I like to be different?
- I do wish it had all 3 functions.
- Air crisp, Ninja Foodi indoor grill AND be a pressure cooker. Now that would be killer!
So that’s that!
I didn’t do a mom unboxing review (because who wants to see a box) but I did a review and demo of the Ninja Foodi grill and air fryer here you can watch for more info.
Best Ninja Foodi Grill Recipes
are here if you ask us. We make these air fryer vegetables and the others shared in this post all the time!
- Air fryer zucchini is another great side dish.
- Ninja Foodi chicken wings.
- Use kebab skewers and make our air fryer chicken kebabs too.
Looking for other multi function kitchen appliances? See what we thought of Multo CookingPal.
Timing below got our sirloins med/well done, and our filet was rare/med. New York strip duration is 13 minutes or so. Just keep an eye on them the first time around so you can get them perfect just the way you want them when you slice it.
- Grab a Foodi Grill yourself here!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Ninja Foodi Grill Steak and Potatoes
- 3-4 potatoes russet
- 3 steak we used 2 sirloin and 1 filet, timings shared below
- 1/4 c avocado oil
- 2 tbsp steak seasoning
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Wash potatoes, dry, and poke with a fork all over them.
- Rub avocado oil all over each one so they are well saturated. Sprinkle salt on outsides and put into air fryer basket.
- Close lid and set to 400 degrees, air fryer function, for 35 minutes. Flip, then cook for an additional 10 minutes (for med/large sizes) or until middle is fork tender when poked.
- Remove potatoes and cover with foil to keep warm. Remove air fryer basket and replace with grill piece inside machine. Close lid and set to grill, 500 degrees for 10 minutes. Allow to preheat.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with seasoning and press down so it sticks well.
- When Ninja Foodi Grill is done preheating it will say lift add food. Add steaks now.
- Sirloins we cooked 8 minutes flipping halfway through, filet cooked for 6 minutes flipping after 4 minutes.
- Remove once you feel it is done to your liking. Allow to rest for at least 5 minutes to maintain juiciness before cutting.
Tuesday 8th of June 2021
I just received the Ninja Foodi Grill. When grilling steaks where do you add the oil and I read that you have to close the top of the grill while cooking the steaks but it won’t close. Do I remove anything in order for the grill to fit and the lid will close?
The Typical Mom
Thursday 10th of June 2021
Do not put the air fryer square basket inside, then it won't close. Remove that and fit the grill plate so that it sits at the bottom, then close and cook yes
Saturday 2nd of May 2020
I'm a new owner of ninja foodi grill pro. Where can I find more recipes. i.e. baked potatoes, bbq pork ribs. Can a chuck roast come out as tender as overnite in a slow cooker?
Wednesday 22nd of April 2020
Hi there, what height limitation is there on meat to roast? Whilst the tray looks quite large it does seem to be limited for height for instance if you wanted to roast a pork shoulder or leg of lamb.
Monday 1st of February 2021
I do use this for pot roast. It's got several inches of space in the pan, not on the grill or in the air fryer basket. I've used a BBQ rub in a homemade sauce and this simple thyme rub in beef broth. Turn the roast every hour and it will have a nice bark. I'm not sure if Justine will allow a post to another site, but here is the base recipe for that yummy thyme roast: https://thesaltedpepper.com/pot-roast-in-the-ninja-foodi-grill/
The Typical Mom
Thursday 23rd of April 2020
I wouldn't use this for a roast, I would use my Foodi that has the pressure cooker function. This just has a grill and air fryer.
Thursday 6th of February 2020
How do you reheat fried chicken and French fries
Wednesday 12th of February 2020
I haven't done fried chicken, just chicken wings and fries but I would think same concept. Using air crisp basket and air crisp setting, set like you'd normally for cooking. Air crisp fries first...place in the basket and set the time for about 2 minutes, turn on the foodi grill as if you pre-heating. Open the lid when it's says "Add Food" and check to see if they are heated enough (and/or crisped back up enough)...if so remove, if not let it run the 2 minutes. Remove fries and put on plate uncovered in warm oven. Reset for the chicken and use the same amount of time and actions. Just re-heating so it doesn't take long to heat through & re-crisp and usually the pre-heat is enough, but depends on the cut (i.e. wings vs. legs/thighs, or string fries vs. steak fries). Hope that helps!
Tuesday 28th of January 2020
Hi .could you tell me the price of the Ninja Foodie Grill.Thank you in advance......Donna
The Typical Mom
Wednesday 29th of January 2020
It varies if you buy it online from 150-200