Air fryer zucchini fries or spears are a great side dish or a healthy low carb snack your whole family will love! It’s our favorite vegetable air fryer recipe.
We had a lot of zucchini in our garden this year! That meant we made air fryer zucchini fries, spears, chips, and lots of bread for breakfast too. Anyway you cut or slice this green vegetable we just love it. Find this on our air fryer recipes page. (originally published 9/19, affiliate links present)
Since we planted our vegetable garden we have had a lot of these green veggies on hand. To use them up I had to get creative for sure. One of many of our best air fryer zucchini recipes here on our site.
We do love mixed air fryer vegetables but sometimes you want some crunch on the outside. These do the trick!
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
Zucchini fries in air fryer
Should you peel zucchini before you cook it?
Not at all. I have never shredded it before using at all. There is quite a bit of liquid in this veggie so the skin keeps it together well really.
Is Fried Zucchini Bad?
Well anything deep fried in oil isn’t great for your health. BUT when you air fry vegetables you still get that crunch but without the fat or oil!
Most would quickly refer to it as a green vegetable. It is usually cooked inside or as a stand alone savory dish or side dish. Botanically though, zucchinis are actually categorized as fruits because of seeds inside.
It is up to you how thick you want them. Just keep in mind the thinner they are the shorter cook time needed. Slice in half, remove ends and then in half lengthwise.
Cut zucchini fries in size desired. I mean you can cut them into dials too and follow the same directions. Those would be said to be more like “chips” than spears though.
Air fryer zucchini fries
This is kinda’ my assembly line of sorts. Prepare all ingredients and then dunk and dip, then cook! The girls can do this themselves now that they are teens which I love. Yellow squash is kinda’ fun to mix things up too.
I have used my large air fryer before which works well for these since it has shelves and crisps it all without flipping at all. You can fit a lot too, but my square Cosori basket is by far my favorite overall and use it every day.
- Use seasonings you love, what I have below are obviously just suggestions.
If you haven’t made any Old Bay recipes before it is probably my favorite seasoning by far.
You can use shallow small bowls too for your bread crumbs and one for your egg, totally up to you. It’s the way I make almost all of our air fryer vegetable recipes.
Since they are bite sized your kids will likely want to try them too. Of course air fryer french fries are fun, but with a little added parmesan I probably prefer these as a side dish or snack.
Dipping sauces: Ranch dressing, marinara sauce or fry sauce are best. I mean they’re quite good just as is right out of the basket but it is totally up to you. Those who put ketchup on everything might like that.
Are air fryers healthier?
Compared to deep fried zucchini spears, yes!! Using hot air to make the outside crispy and delicious versus submerging it into vegetable oil is a much healthier way to make this.
- The biggest tip when making air fryer vegetables, or anything else in your machine really, is layer in air fryer in only ONE layer.
If you crowd your food in the air fryer basket the sides won’t get an opportunity to get really crunchy and crispy like you want them to be.
Separating them allows the hot air to create a crispy outside, but still leave the outside tender and moist.
- Or add a bit of meat and try our air fryer zucchini boats next too.
Another tip when making air fryer zucchini fries: flip them halfway through the total cook time.
This isn’t totally necessary if you forget, but if you remember it makes every inch perfectly crunchy!
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Air fryer zucchini and squash
Slice your zucchini and/or yellow squash in half, then into spears about 4 inches long. Size is up to you but this works well for us. The thinner they are the less time needed, and crispier they’ll be.
Dip into shallow bowl with your egg in it, then press into your breadcrumb mixture until well coated.
Place into your air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook at 350 degrees until crispy, about 15 minutes total flipping after 10 min.
Remove and do the same for remaining zucchini until your entire batch is done and perfectly crispy on the outside, tender on the inside.
Eat right out of the basket or have a few dipping sauces available to serve with them. Make as a side dish or a snack.
Dip and enjoy! Some like a light squeeze of lemon juice after they’re freshly cooked too.
Air fryer zucchini spears
- We did this to make our air fryer zucchini chips too. They were a huge hit at 400 degrees for a few minutes. So good that we made zucchini spears after that. It’s nice to have a bit of variety.
Other Ninja Foodi recipes you might enjoy are:
(any brand of air fryer will work)
- Crispy air fryer fried shrimp with some air fryer okra on the side is amazing
- Air fryer zucchini fritters
- Meatballs in air fryer are keto and low carb snacks
- Use this free air fryer cooking times chart to air fry almost anything else!
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Ninja Foodi Zucchini Fries
There is a printable version of this recipe with an ingredient list too. Of course you can come back and get what you need the next time you want to make them too, but sometimes it’s handy to keep it in your recipe book.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Slice zucchini into spears, the size of pickle spears.
- Whisk your egg on a plate and mix bread crumbs and seasonings on a separate plate. (could add 1/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese to breadcrumbs if you wanted)
- Dip spears in the egg, allow excess to fall off and then press into bread crumbs on all sides.
- Place inside air fryer basket so they don't overlap. Spray with olive oil.
- Set to 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Flip, and reset to 350 degrees for an additional 5 minutes. Enjoy!