Air fryer zucchini fries or spears are a great side dish or a healthy low carb snack your whole family will love! It’s our favorite vegetable air fryer recipe.
We had a lot of zucchini in our garden this year! That meant we made air fryer zucchini fries, spears, chips, and lots of bread for breakfast too. Anyway you cut or slice this green vegetable we just love and hope your family does too. Find this and more on our air fryer recipes page here.
Here are a few resources to start with:
This is what my air fryer zucchini fries assembly line looked like.
You can use shallow small bowls too for your bread crumbs and one for your egg, totally up to you. It’s the way I make almost all of our air fryer vegetable recipes.
Air fried zucchini ingredients
- Zucchini – medium size is best
- Panko bread crumbs
- Old Bay seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Salt and pepper to taste at end
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Air fryer basket
Are air fryers healthier?
Compared to deep fried zucchini spears, yes!! Using hot air to make the outside crispy and delicious versus submerging it into vegetable oil is a much healthier way to make this.
- The biggest tip when making air fryer vegetables, or anything else in your machine really, is layer in air fryer in only ONE layer.
If you crowd your food in the air fryer basket the sides won’t get an opportunity to get really crunchy and crispy like you want them to be. Separating them allows the hot air to create a crispy outside, but still leave the outside tender and moist.
If we just want something light at the end of the day this is one of our favorite zucchini dinner recipes.
- Or add a bit of meat and try our air fryer zucchini boats next too.
Another tip when making air fryer zucchini fries: flip them halfway through the total cook time. This isn’t totally necessary if you forget, but if you remember it makes every inch perfectly crunchy!
Steps to follow:
- Slice your zucchini in half, then into spears about 4 inches long
- Dip into shallow bowl with your egg in it, then press into your breadcrumb mixture until coated
- Place into your air fryer basket in a single layer
- Cook at 350 degrees until crispy
- Remove and do the same for remaining zucchini until they’re all done
Dip and enjoy! Some like a light squeeze of lemon juice after they’re freshly cooked too.
- We did this to make our air fryer zucchini chips too. They were a huge hit so we made zucchini spears after that. It’s nice to have a bit of variety.
Other Ninja Foodi recipes you might enjoy are:
(any brand of air fryer will work)
- Crispy air fryer fried shrimp with some air fryer okra on the side is amazing
- Meatballs in air fryer are keto and low carb snacks
- Use this free air fryer cooking times chart to air fry almost anything else!
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Slice zucchini into spears, the size of pickle spears.
- Whisk your egg on a plate and mix bread crumbs and seasonings on a separate plate.
- Dip spears in the egg, allow excess to fall off and then press into bread crumbs on all sides.
- Place inside air fryer basket so they don't overlap. Spray with olive oil.
- Set to 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Flip, and reset to 350 degrees for an additional 5 minutes. Enjoy!