Ready for the crispiest air fryer okra ever? If you love this green vegetable like we do you are going to go crazy over how crunchy these get. Find this and more easy air fryer recipes here on The Typical Mom blog! (originally published 5/20, affiliate links present)
Fried Okra Air Fryer
If you are looking for a great vegetable Ninja Foodi recipe, you can make it in that handy machine too. Most hot air machines work the same and give you that deep fried texture without all the added calories or fat.
With just 3 ingredients + some salt and pepper you too can make this for under 10 bucks. With a light breadcrumb coating this veggie goes from good to delicious in no time at all. Forgetful? Give our frozen okra in air fryer a whirl some night too!
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
Ninja Foodi Okra
If you are going to use this brand of machine you will use the lid that is attached, the air crisp button and the basket with the holes in the bottom that rests inside.
Air fryer Okra Ingredients
- Sliced okra
- the thinner they are the more tender they will become
- Panko breadcrumbs
- This one is gluten free if you need that
- Salt and pepper
What does okra taste like?
It is a very distinct flavor I will say. If you’ve had gumbo it is usually inside, sliced. It has a mild, almost grassy flavor I would say.
Some compare it to an eggplant or maybe green beans, but it’s more pungent than those. The texture is crunchy when cooked quickly but very tender when slow cooked. Okra in air fryer would be in between these two, just a bit crunchy.
What are the benefits of eating okra?
It’s very rich in magnesium, folate, fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin C, K1, and A. Is okra good for joint pain? Yes, it is said to reduce inflammation in the digestive tract and other areas of the body like blood vessels, eyes, lungs, and joints.
Okra in Air Fryer
You’ll need a bowl for the whisked eggs and fork to dunk them inside, then into the bread crumbs. How do you prepare okra on the stovetop?
- If you just wanted to boil them to make it tender, you’d need to wash 8 ounces fresh okra with cool water.
- Drain well. Cut off the stems.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add pieces and cover the pan
- Boil for 8 to 10 minutes or until they’re as tender as you’d like them to be
I would say this method is so much better. The breading and seasoning takes it over the top delicious. Add any other seasonings you’d like, we just made simple salt and pepper okra.
Air Fried Okra
Just make an assembly line of sorts so things are easier when preparing. Depending on how much you’re making, it may take a bit of time for prep, but cook time is quick!
If you have more people in your family, you might consider getting a large air fryer with racks. It will hold more which means few batches for you.
- Put breadcrumbs and seasonings in one bowl
- you could easily add garlic powder or onion powder with your salt and pepper
- I love adding Old Bay to all the things too if I have any left in the cupboard
- Whisk your egg wash in a separate bowl
- Wash, slice and dry your okra pieces
- Preheat your air fryer at this time
- Dip pieces into egg
- Then move them into the Panko mix and coat well
- Place breaded okra into your air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 9 minutes at 360 degrees
Of course if you want them crispier then set for a few more minutes after checking them at this point.
Air Frying Okra
There is no shaking or flipping required for this okra recipe. It actually won’t work as well if you do because the outside coating is likely to fall off and you want all that goodness to stay in tact.
If you’re new to this method of cooking I promise you that it tastes as crispy as deep frying foods. BUT you need no vegetable or olive oil to submerge it in.
- If you want the outside very very brown you could spray a bit of olive oil on the top during the last few minutes.
I imagine you may be able to use a sort of cornmeal mixture instead of Panko if you preferred those flavors. I haven’t tried that yet though.
Fried Okra Air Fryer Without Cornmeal
If you love okra I highly suggest trying fried okra this week! Looking for other air fryer vegetable recipes you might love?
We have a few more you should try, let us know which ones you like best below!
- First off I suggest that you print off our air fryer cook times chart. Keep it on your fridge so when you’re ready to try something new it will tell you the temp. and time you’ll need.
- You can try our air fryer red potatoes that are a great side dish to any meal. Just set your air fryer to 400 degrees for a few minutes and they’re done!
- Air fryer baked potatoes can be an easy side dish or main meal stuffed with 5 ingredient chili or broccoli and cheese.
- Our air fryer cauliflower is a winner at dinner too.
For a healthy non breaded choice, try our air fryer vegetables that are mixed so everyone will be pleased. I focus on zucchini and squash mostly because they’re done at the same time.
Can I fry frozen okra?
I wouldn’t. I think the texture of frozen vegetables fried is funny. It is best to allow them to thaw in your fridge overnight, or put the bag in a bowl of lukewarm water to defrost faster.
How long does it take to cook frozen okra in an air fryer?
- Well if you insist on throwing them in rock hard you can. You won’t be able to bread it as you see here as it won’t stick.
- Put frozen okra in air fryer basket
- Air fry at 400 degrees and toss every 5 minutes until they are tender to your liking
- Ensure they’re in only one layer
- Remove when they’re as brown and crispy as you’d like
- If tossed with melted butter and seasonings they are pretty good this way with no breading
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Okra
- 1/2 lb okra cut into 1" pieces
- 1 c Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- Whisk egg in a shallow bowl, in another bowl combine breadcrumbs, salt and pepper together.
- Dip cut okra pieces into egg, then cover in breadcrumbs so it is coated well.
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees for 5 minutes. Put coated okra into air fryer basket in one layer so they're not overlapping.
- Set time to 9 minutes. Open and check, if you want them crispier set for a few more minutes.
Monday 1st of August 2022
My garden is so behind this year. I can't wait for the fresh okra to come on so that I can make this!
Monday 1st of August 2022
LOVE okra, but the rest of my family does not. This is a fantastic way to make a small batch!
Thursday 14th of July 2022
I've never been sure what to do with okra but this is soo good and so easy! Thanks for the recipe!
Thursday 14th of July 2022
This was soooo yummy! Super crispy, flavorful and easy to make. Will definitely make again!
Wednesday 16th of February 2022
I would like to say that I buy frozen breaded okra and cook that in my air fryer and it comes out delicious. I take the bag out of the freezer and let it thaw slightly so that I can break the pieces apart and then spritz it lightly with olive oil. Then I cook it in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes and it comes out perfectly.