You’ve got to try air fryer mushrooms! All you need is some olive oil, seasonings and parmesan cheese on top makes this the best side dish.
Ok so I wasn’t so sure how air fryer mushrooms would turn out but OH MY!! Even my kids who weren’t mushroom lovers cleaned their plate last night! Just one of the easy air fryer recipes here on our site. (affiliate links present)
It was time to make sauteed mushrooms in our hot air machine!
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
There are many different types of mushrooms out there but I stick to white and baby bellas. Both are defined as button mushrooms because of their shape but have a very different texture.
You can use either type, the white becomes much softer though. Bellas I typically use in dishes where the other would become too soft and just fall apart. They’re much firmer.
- The key to air frying mushrooms and getting them to reach perfection is they need to be dry.
- This is the case for anything really, I say this in our air fryer fried shrimp recipe too.
- If you leave water on the outside it won’t allow the outside to get to the right consistency.
Now since there is no breading here you won’t get a crunchy exterior. That wasn’t my plan.
I may create crunchy breaded mushrooms in an air fryer recipe later but this time I just wanted them sauteed essentially.
There is debate online as to whether store bought shrooms should be eaten without being cooked first. We have without issue but it is said that they may have a small amount of toxins and could make you sick.
For sure. It is said that eating them cooked is good for you. Cooking them increases their nutritional benefits.
Whether you microwave, air fry, grill or pan fry them it doesn’t matter.
I’ve heard both ways. My answer is yes, if they’re whole. Remember that the flesh will absorb water like a sponge though so that’s why I dry them.
Only rinse before using or they’ll turn slimy.
Air fried mushrooms recipe
- Package of button mushrooms
- Garlic salt
- Italian seasoning
- Seasoned salt
- Oil and garlic powder if you like
Salt and pepper to taste at the end
I like these garlic mushrooms because well I add garlic and onions to everything I make really.
If you’re used to deep frying food this method is so much better! It’s the same cooking time generally but much healthier.
How to cook mushrooms and onions in air fryer
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Gently wash and dry
With cold water gently wash each piece. Set them on a few paper towels and gently roll so water on outsides is absorbed.
- Dice and slice
Dice onions and put into a bowl. Cut mushrooms in half and add those with all of your seasonings and olive oil into the bowl too. Gently toss to combine all ingredients.
- Preheat air fryer
Preheating your air fryer to 400 for 5 minutes is an important step. Once that is done pour your mixture in a single layer into the air fryer basket.
Close basket and cook for 5 minutes total, toss the mushrooms in the basket after 3 minutes. Then serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top!
This is what they’ll look like when they’re done and perfect. Like I said, I add some parmesan to melt at the end but you can omit that.
Some like a few drops of soy sauce on top when they’re served. That is up to you.
Use whatever seasonings you really love but I will tell you that this comes out amazing. If you print it below you can make recipe notes if you choose to add or omit anything for next time.
If you want to try a different method next, our Instant Pot mushrooms are great too.
What do you eat sauteed mushrooms with?
- Well they’re a great side dish with just about any protein really.
You should try our Air fryer eggplant is amazingly too!
Do cooked mushrooms freeze well?
YES, they can be frozen. For the best outcome you’d do so as any other dish. First allow them to cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag.
When you want to enjoy them again, allow them to thaw out in your fridge. Then toss in a pan with a bit of butter, or microwave in 30 second intervals. As with anything else, they will taste best when cooked fresh vs. reheated.
- Printable recipe is below including nutritional information as well.
Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Gently rinse mushrooms with cold water to remove any dirt on outside. Lay all on a paper towel and wrap gently to remove water from outsides.
- Cut mushrooms in half and put into a bowl with all other ingredients. Gently mix together so they're coated.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Then pour coated mushrooms into air fryer basket in one single layer.
- Set to 400 degrees for 5 minutes total, tossing after 3 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese!!