You’ve got to try air fryer mushrooms! All you need is some olive oil, seasonings and parmesan cheese on top makes this the best side dish.
Ok so I wasn’t so sure how air fryer mushrooms would turn out but OH MY!! Even my kids who weren’t mushroom lovers cleaned their plate last night! Just one of the easy air fryer recipes here on our site. (affiliate links present, originally published 6/20)
Mushrooms in Air Fryer
It was time to make sauteed mushrooms in our hot air machine! Then I could serve it with almost any type of main dish for dinner since it is my newest favorite vegetable to eat.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
I don’t know about you but it took me into adulthood to like this vegetable. Now I add them to chicken and beef tips dishes all the time. As a kid my mom didn’t really buy or make them, I think because it was more expensive than other veggies.
It took me probably until my 40s to really experiment with them once I gained an appreciation for their taste on top of pizza. OH How they are my favorite topping right now.
I guess one thing that turned me off was when they got a bit slimy. They shouldn’t be this way at all if bought and cooked from fresh. Keep that in mind when choosing a little bin of them at the store.
There are many different types of mushrooms out there but I stick to white and baby bellas. Both are defined as button mushrooms because of their shape but have a very different texture.
You can use either type, the white becomes much softer though. Bellas I typically use in dishes where the other would become too soft and just fall apart. They’re much firmer and won’t fall apart with other ingredients like in our Instant Pot mushroom rice and others.
- The key to air frying mushrooms and getting them to reach perfection is they need to be dry.
- This is the case for anything really, I say this in our air fryer fried shrimp recipe too.
- If you leave water on the outside it won’t allow the outside to get to the right consistency.
Now since there is no breading here you won’t get a crunchy exterior. That wasn’t my plan. I just wanted tender bites of buttery goodness.
I may create crunchy breaded mushrooms in an air fryer recipe later but this time I just wanted them sauteed essentially.
Is it ok to eat raw mushrooms?
There is debate online as to whether store bought shrooms should be eaten without being cooked first. We have without issue but it is said that they may have a small amount of toxins and could make you sick.
For sure. It is said that eating them cooked is good for you. Cooking them increases their nutritional benefits.
Whether you microwave, air fry, grill or pan fry them it doesn’t matter.
I’ve heard both ways. My answer is yes, if they’re whole. Remember that the flesh will absorb water like a sponge though so that’s why I dry them.
Only rinse before using or they’ll turn slimy.
Air fried mushrooms recipe
- Package of button mushrooms was used, baby bella will be a bit firmer but good too
- Onion was diced
- Garlic salt
- Italian seasoning
- Seasoned salt
- Oil and garlic powder if you like
Salt and pepper to taste at the end
I like these garlic mushrooms because well I add garlic and onions to everything I make really.
If you’re used to deep frying food this method is so much better! It’s the same cooking time generally but much healthier.
How to cook mushrooms and onions in air fryer
- Gently rinse your mushrooms with cold water to remove any dirt on outside. Lay a few paper towels down, pour them on top and wrap gently to remove water from outsides.
- Cut mushrooms in half and put into a bowl with all other ingredients.
- Gently mix together so they’re coated.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees for a good 5 minutes.
- Then pour coated mushrooms into air fryer basket. Make sure they aren’t overlapping and are in one single layer.
- Set to 400 degrees for 5 minutes total, toss the mushrooms after 3 minutes. Test to see if they are tender enough for you, if not add 1 more minute.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese!!
This is what they’ll look like when they’re done and perfect. Like I said, I add some parmesan to melt at the end but you can omit that.
Ninja Foodi Mushrooms
If you use this pressure cooker and air fryer machine you are just going to use the air crisp mode. Some like a few drops of soy sauce on top when they’re served. That is up to you.
Use whatever seasonings you really love but I will tell you that this comes out amazing. If you print it below you can make recipe notes if you choose to add or omit anything for next time.
If you want to try a different method next, our Instant Pot mushrooms are great too.
What do you eat sauteed mushrooms with?
- Well they’re a great side dish with just about any protein really.
You should try our Air fryer eggplant is amazingly too!
Do cooked mushrooms freeze well?
YES, they can be frozen. For the best outcome you’d do so as any other dish. First allow them to cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag.
When you want to enjoy them again, allow them to thaw out in your fridge. Then toss in a pan with a bit of butter, or microwave in 30 second intervals. As with anything else, they will taste best when cooked fresh vs. reheated.
- Printable recipe is below including nutritional information as well.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Gently rinse mushrooms with cold water to remove any dirt on outside. Lay all on a paper towel and wrap gently to remove water from outsides.
- Cut mushrooms in half and put into a bowl with all other ingredients. Gently mix together so they're coated.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Then pour coated mushrooms into air fryer basket in one single layer.
- Set to 400 degrees for 5 minutes total, tossing after 3 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese!!