This air fryer eggplant chips recipe is so good! Lightly breaded vegetable snacks or a side dish that will make you buy this purple veggie way more often.
Have you made air fryer eggplant chips yet? They are incredibly delicious, and one of our easy air fryer recipes we’ve made here on The Typical Mom blog. (originally published 5/20, affiliate links present)
Air Fryer Fried Eggplant
I have both a Ninja Foodi machine and traditional electric air fryer too. It doesn’t matter what brand you have, the directions are the same for them all. These are kinda’ like making our popular cucumber chips, but thicker.
NOW you’ll be able to get that great crispy deep fried taste with just a light spray of oil. No submerging or extra calories needed to get that great crunch! First grab one of these babies from the store….
Eggplant Air Fryer Recipe
If you don’t know what to look for you should just choose a medium size. Feel around the outside and make sure there isn’t a soft or mushy spot.
Think of it like a big bell pepper kinda’, as far as the texture. If there’s a wrinkled or soft area you don’t want that. Nice and firm and not too large.
Air Fryer Eggplant Chips
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
What are the benefits of eating eggplant?
They are actually rich in a number of important nutrients and high in antioxidants. It is said that this vegetable may reduce the risk of heart disease and promote healthy blood sugar control.
If eaten simply without breading it could help with your weight control and may have cancer fighting benefits as well. The general rule is that the darker the color of the plant the better it is for you. Other dark veggies you can make crispy that are also healthy for you would be our air fryer kale chips and spinach chips too.
Ninja Foodi Eggplant
If you haven’t started using this often you’re in for a real treat. From snacks to homemade dinner ideas too, you’ll get a new meal or snack to try each and every day with this crisper machine. All will be simple and include “normal” ingredients found at your local grocery store.
I think this large purple vegetable is highly underrated and overlooked. If you’ve been intimidated to try and cook it you’ve gotta’ try this! It is similar to slicing it into small finger foods like our ever popular air fryer zucchini chips but with a new veggie.
Air Fryer Eggplant
Olive oil cooking spray will make it ultra crispy. That is the key to cooking all the things.
- 2 shallow bowls
- Eggplant – cut into dials
- All purpose flour
- Panko bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
And other seasonings of your choice. You can add some into the breadcrumbs or just sprinkle on when it is done and ready to pop into your mouth.
We will with the eggplant sliced into 1/4 inch slices. Make sure each piece is the same thickness. They will likely be different sizes as the top is generally narrower than it’s base but that is okay.
Should eggplant be peeled?
Generally it is said that yes you should because the skin can be a bit bitter, we did with our eggplant fries. Since it is sliced this way there is very little on each piece and the breading masks any bitterness you might want to avoid. You will want it also so it doesn’t want to fall apart, it will keep it in tact in a sense with it on.
Then a quick trip into the flour to coat the outside and into the egg it goes.
- Next you’ll want to dip your air fryer eggplant into your seasoned breadcrumb mixture so each piece is nicely coated.
- you could add a bit of grated parmesan cheese into the mix too for more of an eggplant parmesan taste
I always like to preheat my machine for 5 minutes at the correct temperature beforehand so the food cooks evenly.
Eggplant in Air Fryer
Lay them into your air fryer basket in a single layer so they’re not overlapping. This will ensure you get that crispy crunchy fried eggplant texture.
- Set to 380 degrees for 8 minutes, then flip to the other side for a 3 minute cook time. This will give the ultimate air fried crunchy texture on both sides.
- Remove when they are golden brown to your liking and enjoy as is or with some marinara sauce for dipping.
How do you know when a mini eggplant is ripe?
Ideally you should pick them when skin is glossy. Dull fruit indicates that it may be over ripe already. Both under and over ripe picks tend to taste more bitter. Pick white eggplants before skin turns yellow and when it feels firm and no signs of it being soft or beginning to turn mushy.
Gluten free fried eggplant
Yes you could use a gluten free flour and alternative bread crumbs like these instead. If you left it off entirely it would have a very different flavor and texture for sure, but possible. That would be the lowest carb and calorie method, but not quite as good.
Using alternative methods and ingredients to make it safe for those with celiac disease to enjoy it quite possible, and others would likely not notice much of a difference. That way everyone can love on them together!
Eggplant air fryer recipe
Want to make a whole meal with these babies in the same machine? You totally can throw in a few wings for finger food fun. Even if you forget to defrost dinner you can still make air fried frozen shrimp and cook to perfection tonight with this.
If you do have leftovers we talk about how to freeze eggplant raw or already cooked right here. After you do fall in love this then we have a few more goodies you need to try out next:
- Try air fryer frozen mozzarella cheese sticks!
- Our air fryer eggplant parm is done in bite sizes similar to this but not breaded.
- You can even make homemade air fryer french fries in your handy dandy kitchen appliance in under 20 minutes now.
Air fryer green beans rock too. You may not believe it but my kids love these so much they’ll eat an entire plate as a snack.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Air Fryer Eggplant Chips
- Use 3 shallow bowls. Whisk the egg in one, put flour in another and mix Panko breadcrumbs with seasonings in the third.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Slice stem end off, discard. Slice into 1/4" rounds. One at a time dip into the flour, then into egg, then press breadcrumbs on both sides so they're nicely coated.
- Put into preheated air fryer basket so they're not overlapping, spray lightly with olive oil spray.
- Cook for 8 minutes, flip and spray tops lightly, then cook for another 3 minutes (times will vary depending on how thick they are and how brown you want them).