Crispy breaded cucumber chips are so easy to make and a great way to eat vegetables as a snack. Vegetarian, packed with flavor and crunch.
Ok, these cucumber chips are our latest obsession! Our favorite green vegetable fried (but not really) with a crispy outer layer of YUM in no time. The perfect low fat snack even my kids love so we added it to our list of easy air fryer recipes for you to try too. (affiliate links present)
Cucumber Chips Air Fryer
We made these in our Cosori and Ninja Foodi but they could be deep fried too. If you want to try the latter, this coating or our tempera batter would work too. You cannot use a wet dip in an air fryer basket though.
Very similar to our air fryer zucchini chips they just use a different veggie as the main ingredient obviously. Slicing them thick will keep a bit more texture and oomph to them. Very thin will make them very crispy more like potato chips.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
We first baked kale chips in the oven a few years back and got hooked. Seriously, even my girls would ask me to make these over and over again. When I got this hot air machine I knew I could make things like this much easier and faster…so we got to experimenting.
If you wanted more like dehydrated cucumber chips you could add garlic powder and onion powder. Slice with mandolin slicer and spray the outsides with oil. Dry and crisp in air fryer at 400 degrees F for about 6 minutes, flip halfway until crispy. Adding a bit of breadcrumbs is a nice touch though and adds lots of flavor.
Can you put cucumbers in the air fryer?
Yes! It doesn’t take very long to do bread these air fryer snacks and get them crunchy like chips. Once you have a few bowls ready with your flour, breadcrumbs and egg it’s just a matter of coating each piece.
I do like preheating the machine ahead of time. You don’t have to though in case you forget this step. It will just add a bit more time and I think they come out crispier if you cook at the same temp. the whole time.
Salt and Vinegar Cucumber Chips
You can make these two different ways. Either way slice cucumbers thinly with a sharp knife. If you want to use a dehydrator or air fry them without any coating I’d soak them in vinegar first for 15 minutes. Then sprinkle on some sea salt, cook as directed until crispy and re-season with salt and pepper to taste when done.
This would create a low carb snack for sure. There is a third method too, in the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to cook this way. Lay them down in one layer and preheat to 255 degrees F. This way takes a lot longer, 2 hours but never the less will make great baked cucumber chips you’ll love too.
Now let me show a few photos of how these were done in our hot air circulating machine. The same method is used for just about anything else that is battered and “fried” in an air fryer.
Cucumber Fries Recipe
You could slice like our air fryer pickles and make them a different shape too if you wanted.
The easiest method to get a really nice crunchy coating is to first lay on a few paper towels once sliced. This is the most important step to eliminate the liquid on the outside. Then the pattern is flour, egg, crumbs….and you keep going until the basket is full.
Homemade Cucumber Chips
Even though this is a dry coating essentially it still might stick a bit so it’s best to spray the basket with non stick spray. If you are making multiple batches spray again in between each time. This will help with the aggravation later when you are cleaning up. This is what you’ll want to get out:
- Fresh slices of cucumbers
- Paper towels to dry your pieces before coating
- Whisked egg
- All purpose flour
- 3 small shallow bowls or large bowls, whatever is in your cupboard friends
And some olive oil spray or some kind of non stick cooking spray is a must. We like to serve them with our copycat Lawsons chip dip at the end.
Slice cucumber. Lay on paper towels and pat cucumbers to remove moisture from the outsides.
Veggie Chips Recipe
- In a bowl combine breadcrumbs with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and/or any other seasonings you love. In another whisk your egg. In a third pour in your flour.
- Dunk each slice into the flour, then the egg, then coat with your breadcrumbs.
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees for a few minutes. Spray basket with olive oil spray and lay coated pieces inside in a single layer.
- Do not overlap or they will not come out crunchy.
Cook for about 8 minutes flipping them over halfway thru. Remove when as crispy as you’d like. You can get them extra crispy by spraying olive oil spray on top 2 minutes before cook time is complete.
Air Fryer Veggie Chips
Mouth watering yet? You can jump to recipe to print recipe or just come back every time you want to make these babies. We love “seeing you” so don’t be shy to come back as often as possible. 😉
But wait….we have another thing you need to try right after this one!
Ok so there are two that make veggies delicious. Air fryer kale chips and spinach chips are like seriously amazing choices. Neither of these use any sort of breading so they, and our air fryer jicama fries, are keto and low carb options. They may become your favorite healthy snack too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
- 1 cucumber sliced about 1/4" thick
- 1/4 c flour
- 1 egg
- 1 c Italian breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil spray
- Slice cucumber. Lay on paper towels to remove moisture from the outsides.
- In a bowl combine breadcrumbs with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. In another whisk your egg and in a third pour in your flour (you can season this too).
- Dunk each piece in the flour, then the egg, then coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees for a few minutes, then spray basket with olive oil spray and lay coated pieces inside in a single layer.
- Cook for about 8 minutes flipping them over halfway thru. Remove when as crispy as you'd like. You can get them extra crispy by spraying olive oil spray on top 2 minutes before cook time is complete.
Tuesday 26th of October 2021
I am so going to use this recipe on my solid green tomatoes!
The Typical Mom
Wednesday 27th of October 2021
Great idea let me know how they turn out