Air fryer jicama fries are a healthy snack option made with this root vegetable in your Ninja Foodi or Cosori. Baked, crispy and keto.
Air fryer jicama fries turn out so delicious! Crispy and crunchy finger food that’s a favorite kids snack for sure. Lower in carbs than traditional French fries but still a fabulous side dish we love. A favorite easy air fryer recipe made this week that we wanted to share. (affiliate links present, originally published 11/21)
Ninja Foodi Jicama Fries
You can use any brand of machine you have at home. They all work basically the same except that some have a larger air fryer basket than others. That means you can make a larger batch at once but either way you don’t want them to overlap. Just like homemade French fries you want them to be as crisp as possible.
If you have never had this white vegetable it is super versatile for sure. We used to eat it raw on a veggie tray during the holidays with ranch. This time it’s cooked super crispy and served with ketchup. You may be able to fool your younger children into thinking they are actually potatoes. Give it a whirl. 😉
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Jicama French Fries
Here are a few questions you might have if this is a new food to you but you really want to try it:
Yes. It has less starch and thus fewer carbs than it’s counterpart. They are more expensive than a Russet or Yukon for sure but the health benefits make it worth the extra few dollars. Naturally gluten free and a low carb option.
Does jicama taste like potatoes?
If you eat it raw I would say it is more like a bland apple or pear that has been peeled. It has a slight sweetness for sure. Similar to a watermelon in the amount of water or juices that are inside each piece it is a bit sweet. You can eat it cooked or not and don’t want to eat the outer peel as it is thick and not pleasant.
Can jicama be cooked?
Yep, that is what we are going to show you here. It can be air fried, boiled or baked. Be sure to not overdo it though or it will loose it’s crisp nature. Most often eaten raw it is delicious eaten and prepared both ways.
You can keep it sweet with some cinnamon and sugar or savory with garlic powder and onion salt. The same goes with air fryer turnip fries too.
Baked Jicama Fries
We are going to make these on the savory end of the spectrum this time because they’re going to become a healthy French fries substitute. One important thing to remember when getting the seasonings to stick well is to lay these babies on a wad of paper towels after slicing them. This will absorb the moisture on the outside.
You can imagine that if this isn’t done the oil wouldn’t stick well. Try drizzling some on to an apple you just rinsed, it would slide right off. Same goes for this creation. Won’t get it all, but enough where the seasonings can stick long enough to get your batch into the basket to cook. You’ll need:
- Peeled and sliced jicama
- Vegetable, olive oil or avocado oil
- Seasonings of your choice but garlic powder and salt and pepper were used here
Old Bay and/or smoked paprika are other favorites I will use from time to time as well. Like I said, if you wanted a sweeter style I’d replace all of these with 1/3 cinnamon and 2/3 sugar combination shaken together.
Jicama Fries Air Fryer No Boil
The key to baking jicama fries is to lay in a single layer and shake the basket often, every 5 minutes is perfect. This is easy to do since the drawer slides out and you can just literally toss it a few times and slide it right back in to resume your air fry cook time.
- Peel and cut the jicama into 1/4″ = 1/2″ sticks. Lay pieces on a wad of paper towels. Roll it up and gently press down to absorb as much water on outside as possible.
- Add them to a large bowl. Drizzle on your olive or vegetable oil and sprinkle on seasonings. Toss so each piece is coated well.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 F degrees for 5 minutes. Spray inside of basket with non stick spray. Pour fries in, overlapping the least amount possible.
- Air fry for total of 20 minutes. Shake basket every 5 minutes. Spray the tops every time you shake. Can add additional salt every time too if you wish.
- Remove when they are tender inside and golden brown outside to your liking. Serve with ketchup or fry sauce.
Just like potatoes they should remain tender on the inside and crisp outside. The thicker the pieces are the softer the inside will remain.
The size of each piece is really up to you but the timing is appropriate for what you see here. Large jicama spears will take quite a while longer, closer to our air fryer potato wedges timing. If you wanted to make this jicama fries recipe on a baking sheet you could as well. This is for air fryer but oven would follow similar temp and timing.
I might adjust to 15 minutes and use a spatula to rotate every 5. Check often to see how they are doing and remove once the color on the outside looks just right.
WW Jicama Fries
Did you know that if you were following a Weight Watchers diet these are 0 personal points per serving?!! I mean that is a big win for sure. It’s keto friendly too and if you aren’t on any of these, they’re just darn delicious. lol
Vegetable Fries Air Fryer
Want to have a finger food kinda’ afternoon? We have a few other ideas that don’t require a fork like spam fries and….
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Air Fryer Jicama Fries
- Peel and slice jicama. Lay sticks on a thick wad of paper towels. When done roll it up and gently press down to absorb water on outside of fries.
- Add them to a bowl. Drizzle on oil and sprinkle on seasonings. Toss so each piece is coated well.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 F. for 5 minutes. Spray basket with non stick spray and pour fries in, overlapping least possible.
- Air fry for total of 20 minutes shaking basket every 5 minutes and spraying tops every time you shake. Can add additional salt when you shake.
- Remove when they are tender inside and crispy outside to your liking. Serve with ketchup.