Air fryer beets come out perfectly every time! Tender on the inside with a bit of crisp on the edges is so good as a side dish.
OH MY I couldn’t believe how well these beets in the air fryer turned out. I mean, I’ve only had them once and was the first time I made them myself but man were they good. Another easy air fryer recipe we love. (affiliate links present, originally published 3/21)
Air Fry Beets
This is one of those hmmmm vegetables right? If you weren’t served them as a child they may be totally new to you right now. You may have only had them out of a jar pickled but fresh and roasted is another sort of wonderful. A great healthy side dish for sure.
Seriously, you need to try them diced up this way. SO much flavor served on the side for dinner, as a snack or chilled and thrown on to a salad as well.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
Ninja Foodi Beets
You can use any brand you might have at home. There are many out there but they all work very much the same. The biggest difference is how they look on the outside and the size of the basket, that’s pretty much it. Here are a few questions you might have before you get started:
Air Fryer Roasted Beets
The most nutritious way to cook beets would be to steam them, or air fry. That way you’re using hot air or water instead of submerging them and losing vitamins in the process.
Beets are low in calories but high in essential nutrients such as folate, vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. They also contain beneficial compounds like antioxidants and nitrates.
Are you supposed to peel beets before cooking?
For sure. I mean if you boil them they will just fall off but air frying beets need the tough outer skins peeled off. Just make sure you use gloves or a paper towel to hold it so you don’t get dyed. This is what they look like, I mean before washing and/or peeling them so these are kinda’ dirty.
Beets in Air Fryer
The biggest tip is protect your hands!! I just used a few paper towels like you see here. If you have disposable gloves that is a bit easier.
- Medium Large beets
- Olive oil
- Seasonings you love but I used salt and pepper
- Vegetable peeler
- Knife so you can dice them into 1 inch pieces so they get fork tender
The smaller you cut them the shorter the cooking time will be of course. Another biggie is the amount of roasting you get on the outside. If you want a lot then smaller is best.
Air Fryer Roasted Beets
This is about how big mine were. I really liked the smaller pieces the best really. With just olive oil, salt and pepper they were super flavorful with the natural taste of the veggie.
Time needed: 12 minutes.
Air Fryer Beets
Peel and slice the beets into 1-inch pieces. Use gloves or handle with paper towels to avoid staining your hands. Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes.
Put beets into bowl and toss with olive oil and seasonings, stir.
Pour into air fryer basket in a single layer. Set for 12 minutes total, after 7 minutes shake the air fryer basket.
When done allow to stay in closed basket for 5 minutes to continue to soften.
The last step of leaving them in the hot basket when the timer is done is very important in this beets recipe to get them tender.
Do cooked beets need to be refrigerated?
You can put them into a freezer bag or container and leave them at room temperature for a few days. I don’t care to do that, I’d rather refrigerate them. They’ll last longer that way.
Do cooked beets freeze well?
They’re fine to do so. Just transfer room temperature pieces into airtight containers. They’ll last up to 8 months this way. To reheat you could use your Cosori again for a few minutes. Spray with olive oil first.
Looking for other easy air fryer vegetable recipes to try?
We love this simple mixed air fryer vegetables recipe with zucchini, onions, squash and mushrooms all cooked together.
- You can easily make air fryer corn on the cob or an air fryer artichoke.
- Our air fryer cauliflower gets five stars from everyone.
- We have a lot of potato recipes to choose from like air fryer baked potatoes and lots more.
Now you can add this pretty purple vegetable to the list of favorites. Of course if you want to try another method, try Instant Pot beets. See which one you like best, or mix it up, and let us know what you think.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Beets
- Peel beets and cut into 1×1" cubes. Use gloves or handle with paper towels to avoid staining your hands.
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Put beets into bowl with olive oil and seasonings, stir.
- Pour into air fryer basket, do not overlap.
- Set for 12 minutes total, shake after 7 minutes.
- When done allow to stay in closed basket for 5 minutes to continue to soften.