This easy crockpot breakfast casserole recipe is a hit with everyone, especially during the holidays. Perfect slow cooker breakfast that’s layered with cheese, bacon and hashbrowns that makes for a hearty brunch and is a great Christmas morning breakfast too.
We love breakfast…sometimes we even have it for dinner! I’ve made this easy crockpot breakfast casserole recipe to bring to potlucks, for brunch, and have cooked it overnight and served it Christmas morning too! Here’s how you make one of our favorite crockpot recipes. 😉 (originally published 9/15) This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Simply Potatoes for IZEA. All opinions are 100% mine.
It’s simple to do, tastes great, and cooks by itself in your handy dandy slow cooker….love that thing! If you love breakfast too you will love this hearty and flavorful crockpot meal.
You need all the typical breakfast items like eggs, bacon, cheese and hash browns you would normally cook up but the best thing is it cooks all day by itself (love that). I like things that are EASY, and this recipe is definitely that.
Let me show you how to make this crockpot breakfast casserole recipe
- Spray the inside of your crockpot with non stick spray
- Cook about 6 strips of bacon until they are somewhat crispy. You want them to be a bit soft but definitely cooked before putting them in your slow cooker. Don’t drain the grease!
- Dice up 1/4 of an onion and sauté them together in the warm bacon grease. I know….your mouth is watering already right??!!
- When the diced onions are done, dice the cooled bacon and shred about 1.5 cups of cheddar cheese. We like sharp but medium would be fine too.
- Now get your eggs ready and start layering. All you need are 10 eggs and 3/4 cup of milk whisked together to make the egg mixture.
Now think of this as lasagna.
You know how you layer the noodles, cheese, and sauce when you’re making lasagna. Well this breakfast casserole recipe is very similar.
- First you will want to put a layer of hash browns on the bottom.
- On top of the layer of hashbrowns put 1/3 of your diced bacon, 1/3 of your shredded cheese, and a spoonful of your onions that have been sautéed.
- At this time add some seasonings to that layer. I like to use some dill, garlic salt, and a bit of pepper.
- Then pour 1/3 of your egg mixture on top and do the same layer again until you’ve filled your crockpot and it looks something like this.
- Put your crockpot on low and cook for approximately 5 hours, longer if you are using a larger slow cooker and making a bigger batch, and I would check at about 4.5 hrs. to see how well done it’s cooking.
This is what you need and how you make this Crockpot breakfast casserole recipe
- Frozen hashbrowns – we use Simply Potatoes frozen hashbrowns in the frozen section
- Cheese – we like sharp cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
This is a really easy overnight breakfast casserole recipe you can put together the night before Christmas Day.
If you have a pressure cooker you can make this Instant Pot breakfast casserole version too!
- Over a month of 40 easy slow cooker recipes
- like our slow cooker cheesy potatoes
- Sweet cinnamon roll breakfast casserole
I don’t want to cook Christmas morning. I want to get pictures of the joy. That’s why this recipe is great.
If you are going to a potluck brunch this is fantastic too and you’ll be asked for the recipe…..you can share. 😉
- Hope you try it out and get as many compliments as I’ve received with this yummy egg and hash brown dish.
Here’s a quick video showing you how we make this easy crockpot breakfast casserole recipe:
Crockpot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 10 eggs
- 1 bag hash browns we use frozen Simply Potatoes
- 3/4 c milk
- 1 1/2 c cheddar cheese
- 1/4 onion
- 6 pieces bacon
- To taste:
- garlic salt/powder
- Cook the bacon and then add diced onions to the bacon grease and sautee those down.
- Shred the cheese and dice the cooked bacon. Whisk together the 10 eggs and 3/4 c. milk. When you layer the ingredients into your crockpot make the first layer your hash browns.
- Top that with 1/3 of your bacon, 1/3 of your cheese, a spoon full of onions, seasonings, and 1/3 of your egg mixture.
- Layer again this same way until you reach almost the top of your crockpot leaving some room at the very top. Put on low and cook for approximately 5 hours, check at about 4 if you want it to be a bit wetter in consistency.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉