This is how you make healthy Instant Pot fish and vegetables together in your pressure cooker. Cooked separately but at the same time, this flavorful dinner cooks in no time at all and comes out flaky and tender. If you’re looking to cook multiple dishes at once in your Instant Pot this is how you do it.
I don’t know about you but we are big fans of Instant Pot fish in our house! Let us show you how to make this and then you should go on to try our other Instant Pot recipes too. Sponsored by Kitchen Deluxe. (originally published 5/18, affiliate links present)
Now that we have a pressure cooker it is even easier to cook it to flaky perfection.
Now you can cook another dish such as vegetables together, but separately, using these steamer insert pans!
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
- Such a delicious and healthy electric pressure cooker recipe right?
Personally I think fish comes out great when it is steamed with just a bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt and spices.
I did the same thing with the mix of vegetables I cooked in the larger of the two pans and they were great and just tender enough without being too mushy.
I used 2 pieces of tilapia but you could use whichever type of fish you prefer. The pans are great at keeping the moisture in and when it’s done cooking and resting in the bit of olive oil you poured on top the flavor is pretty amazing.
Cooking them in separate pans but in your pressure cooker at the same time keeps the flavors of each in tact but allows you to walk away while they steam to perfection.
Do a quick release, lift the lids on each and enjoy them together for lunch or dinner.
The possibilities for these double stackable pans though. Add cornbread or baked potatoes to the bottom and chili to the top and have a great meal too!
Why would you cook fish in your Instant Pot?
- Cooks quickly
- Comes out tender and full of flavor
- No fish smell while cooking (some released when steam valve is opened)
Easy one pot meal when cooked with vegetables using this pot in pot method
This is what you will need to make this healthy Instant Pot fish and vegetable dinner
- Instant Pot steamer insert pans – use code TYPICALM for 15% off
- Fish – about 1 lb., skinless and deboned
- we used white fish, medium thickness
- Vegetables – sliced
- we used zucchini, yellow squash, carrots and onion
- Parchment paper
- Olive Oil
- Spices – I just lightly season with seasoned salt and basil
If you’ve never tried to pressure cook fish it is a game changer!! So flaky and tender I tell you.
If you do not have this insert pan you can alternatively cook Instant Pot fish this way:
- Put 1.5 c water into your pressure cooker
- Place a trivet / steam rack at the bottom (make sure water isn’t touching bottom of rack)
- Place your fish fillet on steam rack
Sprinkle seasonings on fish. Use whatever you’d usually season it with.
- Close lid and steam valve
- Set to high pressure for 2-3 minutes for fresh fish and 3-4 min. for frozen fillets (size of fish and variety will vary timing but this works well for a piece of salmon)
- We typically cook a 3/4 lb. piece of fresh salmon for 4 minutes and it is perfect
- Do a quick release
- We cooked our Instant Pot frozen fish this way
If you’re looking for more pressure cooker fish recipes we have a bunch. Like how to cook salmon fillets with a little lemon pepper and lemon juice perfectly!
- There seriously isn’t anything you can’t do with an electric pressure cooker I say. Ok, well it can’t do my laundry but I honestly don’t use my stovetop or oven anymore!
Just place the skin side down on your trivet with lemon slices and butter on high pressure for 3 minutes or so (depends on thickness of fillet). Release the pressure and perfection!
Of course if you want to cook multiple items then use the pans I used above but this is another Instant Pot fish idea.
With just a cup of water and a light season with salt and pepper we can even make frozen salmon in the Instant Pot all the time too!
How do you make Instant Pot fish tacos??
- Use either the recipe below using white fish in the stackable pans, or the salmon recipe above
- Cook as directed
- Remove and break up into smaller pieces
- Add to small flour tortillas
- Load it up with cabbage and fish taco sauce
- We like a slice of avocado on the top too
- Looking for a low carb keto meal idea?? After your pressure cooker fish is done put some inside of an avocado and this makes a really yummy meal!!
- We love Instant Pot tilapia and air fryer tilapia for dinner too.
Have we convinced you that it’s worth getting an Instant Pot AND that this is the best way to cook fish??!!
I hope so. The only close second that gets raving reviews is our smoked salmon recipe that is amazing but does take a lot more time to make and cook. SO if you’re looking for the best way to make Instant Pot fish this is it!
Here’s the printable recipe and a video:
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Fish
- Put parchment paper inside the bottom larger piece of your stacked pans and pour all vegetables inside.
- Pour 2 tbsp of oil oil on top and sprinkle half of your seasoned salt and basil on top.
- Place smaller stacked pan on top of that and put a piece of parchment paper inside of that pan.
- Lay pieces of fish inside, pour remainder of olive oil on top of fish with remainder of spices.
- Put lid on and close fastener so pans are securely closed together.
- Pour 1.5 c. water inside your Instant Pot and lower stacked pans down inside.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 28 minutes. Do a quick release.
- Check to ensure fish and vegetables are desired tenderness, if not recover and add 2 minutes or so.