Pressure cooker fried cabbage will be your new favorite meal if you love steamed cabbage with bacon! Made in just 3 minutes it’s our favorite side dish. Don’t you love your Instant Pot and Ninja Foodi?
I know…I wasn’t a cabbage fan when I was younger either but when I became an adult I just love it!! My grandma used to put it in everything but I never thought of it until this year and recently I’ve made several easy Instant Pot recipes with it! This pressure cooker fried cabbage was next! If you’re ready for some flavorful cooked cabbage and sausage or bacon you’ll love this. The perfect side dish during the week we say. (originally published 8/18, affiliate links present)
- I started with Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole which is always a hit. Then I made Instant Pot stuffed cabbage and couldn’t stop with all the cabbage recipes!!
Have you tried Instant Pot cabbage??
Of course you can make it in your Ninja Foodi or Crock Pot Express too. Any brand works. Just pressure cook for a few minutes with some chicken broth and salt and pepper to taste on high pressure and BAM! Ok…there are a few other secret ingredients, but seriously it will make you love cabbage too.
Ok, so it’s not really fried in this case but amazing is how to describe it…….
I will start by saying if you have a family recipe for fried cabbage then by all means use those measurements and seasonings and just follow my instructions as far as how much liquid to add and how long to cook it.
If you don’t then this is the way I have made it several times and we all love it……
This pressure cooker fried cabbage is a version of my grandmother’s recipe with a few additions and she of course made it on the stovetop where I am using my 6 qt. Instant Pot to make it cook quick!
AND we think bacon is a must…….
This is what you’ll need to make our 3 minute pressure cooker fried cabbage recipe:
- Head of cabbage
- chop cabbage into 1″x 1″ squares basically
- Vegetable broth
- Soy sauce
- Olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper at the end are optional
If you want to make this great recipe vegetarian style, then just leave out the bacon of course. 😉
Here’s a video showing you this quick cooking time, and how we make this easy fried cabbage recipe
If you’re looking for more simple cabbage recipes we have a few!
- Pressure cooker cabbage soup is wonderful
- Easy Instant Pot corned beef and cabbage should be cooked more often than just for St. Patricks Day
- You’ve got to also try this pressure cooker chicken quinoa casserole
Our pressure cooker cabbage and noodles is a bit heartier version of this too!
Tips for making the best cabbage in a pressure cooker:
- Choose a small head of cabbage
- Discard end
- Slice it into about 5 thick slices
- Then cut those slices into 1″ x 1″ pieces
- Do not drain the bacon after you saute it
- Grease adds to the overall taste
- Make sure to deglaze your pot after sauteeing
- I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot if you don’t already have one, little need to deglaze if you have one
- Quick release the steam
- Take lid off immediately and turn pot off when done, or cabbage will get too soft
Print recipe here:
Pressure Cooker Fried Cabbage
- Add your olive oil and diced bacon to your pressure cooker and set to saute. (can add your fresh onions now if you wish to soften)
- Cook until bacon is done, not crispy done but meat is cooked. Turn pressure cooker off/cancel! Scrape bottom of pot, add 1/4 c of your vegetable broth to deglaze bottom so burn notification doesn't come on.
- Cut your head of cabbage into chunks, separate leaves and add into your pressure cooker.
- Pour your remaining vegetable broth over your cabbage leaves.
- Sprinkle all spices and soy sauce on top as well as any type of onions you may want to add if they aren't in already.
- Stir gently to coat all leaves with spices.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 3 minutes (2 minutes if you want cabbage to be firmer).
- Do a quick release and enjoy!