This is a really easy pressure cooker bean soup that is healthy and only requires a few ingredients. Very versatile where you can make it vegetarian if you want or load it up with bacon and either way it is full of flavor. The perfect Instant Pot soup during the winter and year round really.
Yes I use my Instant Pot a lot. It makes it easy for me to make homemade meals for the 5 of us and if you’ve ever been hesitant to use dry beans it is SO easy when you have a pressure cooker. You don’t need to soak them overnight like before, you just pop them in first to soften up, drain, and then add everything else to make things like this easy pressure cooker bean soup. It’s one of my favorite Instant Pot recipes when it’s chilly outside. (originally published 3/18)
I had northern beans on hand and some bacon too so I literally dumped it in with some vegetables and broth and it came out delicious. A healthy bean soup too.
If you are looking for a really healthy meal this homemade pressure cooker bean soup is it!
It is not only a flavorful dinner but really cheap to make too. Another one to add to my cheap Instant Pot recipes post. Add as many vegetables as you like. I just chose onions and celery this time but you could really load it up if you wanted. Make it a sort of minestrone style northern bean soup with lots of veggies.
If you’ve never used northern beans they are quite mild and called white beans sometimes. If you were really in a hurry you could use canned white beans, and skip the whole first step.
You’d go straight to the saute function with the bacon and heating up the ingredients to make our pressure cooker bean soup.
Of course a big part of the Instant Pot wonderment is that you can cook everything in one pot including the bacon!
I did this same thing when I cooked my no soak Instant Pot baked beans.
We eat soups all year long really. That’s why I put together this Instant Pot soup recipes post, but especially when it’s chilly outside!!
Pop some rolls in the oven or make this pressure cooker cornbread and your meal is done! I have been trying to make healthy meals more often. Being able to use dry beans with no soaking beforehand has been a game changer.
This is what you’ll need to make this easy pressure cooker bean soup
- Northern beans – this is what I used
- Chicken broth
- Olive oil
- Carrots could be added too
- Green onions
- Salt could be added, I thought the broth had enough for us so I didn’t
Pressure Cooker Bean Soup
- Put dry uncooked beans into Instant Pot or pressure cooker with 4 cups of water.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to bean setting for 35 minutes.
- Do a natural release (test beans to see if they're tender enough for your liking, if not reset for another 10 minutes) drain beans, set aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute (or do on the stovetop if you have a traditional pressure cooker). Add olive oil, diced onion, and bacon.
- Cook until onions are softened and bacon is cooked to your liking (doesn't need to be crispy, just cooked as it is pork).
- Turn Instant Pot off/cancel...important step.
- Add all other ingredients left, including beans you set aside, and gently stir.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to soup setting for 10 minutes.
- Quick release and serve...can top with grated parmesan cheese and/or chives.
If you’re looking for more easy pressure cooker soups check these out:
For more easy recipes and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook, sign up for my newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest!