This is how easy it is to make pressure cooker ham and beans in your Instant Pot. Make it into a healthy bean soup using leftover ham, or thicken it up. Load it up with vegetables and it is a complete meal that everyone will love. No soaking required to cook these Northern dry beans if you follow these steps.
We’ve been creating a lot of easy Instant Pot recipes over the past year and a half ever since I got mine. Now that the summer is rolling around I start thinking of healthy dishes that I can cook for dinner with vegetables and as homemade as possible. I wanted to use our leftover ham from smoking it the other night and thought I’d attempt to cook some pressure cooker ham and beans and here it is! Using dry Northern beans and a few other simple ingredients it came out great and was even delicious the next day for lunch. (originally published 5/18, affiliate links present)
You only need a few ingredients to make pressure cooker ham and beans (or ham and bean soup if you will).
- 16 oz. dry Northern beans
- NO need to pre soak the beans
- Diced ham
- we used leftovers after cooking an Instant Pot ham
- or you could use a smoked ham hock and add in with beans
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Carrots would be a great addition as well
- Bay leaves optional
In case you don’t have an Instant Pot we have instructions for slow cooker ham and beans here as well.
If you’ve never used dry beans while pressure cooking it is really quite simple. I share Instant Pot cooking times for beans here so you can see how long dry beans take. Really it is no time at all using an Instant Pot, Crock Pot Express or Ninja Foodi!
Most take about 30 minutes to get to the point of just being tender so if you like your beans on the softer side then aim for a 40 minute cook time. Add additional minutes for super soft. That’s what we did for this Instant Pot ham and bean soup. I gauged the time off the white kidney bean timing.
Of course you can load this pressure cooker ham and beans recipe up with lots of vegetables!
I made a video of how I make it and explain the Instant Pot buttons a bit for you here too, hope that helps. 😉
Watch how I make this healthy soup from scratch!
Once you are familiar with cooking with dry beans you should try these other Instant Pot soup recipes.
- Black eyed peas and ham in your pressure cooker
- Pressure cooker chili with dry beans
- Instant Pot split pea soup recipe
Pressure Cooker Ham and Beans
- 16 oz Northern beans dry beans
- 6 c water
- 32 oz chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 c ham diced
- 1/4 tsp salt optional
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- Rinse dry Northern or white beans under water, put them into your Instant Pot with your 6 cups of water.
- Put lid on, close steam valve, and set to bean setting for 40 minutes. (timing will depend on how soft you like them but 40 works well for us). If you're using canned beans you would skip this step and start with adding vegetables below with your canned beans.
- Do a quick release, drain beans, and set aside.
- Add carrots, celery, diced ham, salt, diced onion, broth, and your drained beans back into your pressure cooker. Stir gently.
- Put lid on, close steam valve, and set to pressure high for 10 minutes.
- Do a quick release, stir and serve!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉