This is how easy it is to make pressure cooker ham and beans in your Instant Pot. Make it into a healthy bean soup using leftover ham, or thicken it up. Load it up with vegetables and it is a complete meal that everyone will love. No soaking required to cook these Northern dry beans if you follow these steps.
We’ve been creating a lot of easy Instant Pot recipes over the past year and a half ever since I got mine. Now that the summer is rolling around I start thinking of healthy dishes that I can cook for dinner with vegetables and as homemade as possible. I wanted to use our leftover ham from smoking it the other night and thought I’d attempt to cook some pressure cooker ham and beans and here it is! Using dry Northern beans and a few other simple ingredients it came out great and was even delicious the next day for lunch.
Here’s how simple this Instant Pot soup is to make.
You only need a few ingredients to make pressure cooker ham and beans (or ham and bean soup if you will).
- 16 oz. dry Northern beans
- Diced ham
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Carrots would be a great addition as well
In case you don’t have an Instant Pot we have instructions for slow cooker ham and beans here as well.
If you’ve never used dry beans in your Instant Pot is is really quite simple and I share Instant Pot cooking times for beans here so you can see how long dry beans take to cook in a pressure cooker, several varieties are here and times vary a bit. Most take about 30 minutes to get to the point of just being tender so if you like your beans on the much softer side then aim for a 40 minute cook time on this ham and bean soup versus the 30 I did.
Of course you can load it up with lots of vegetables at the time that I added the celery, it is just your preference as to which ones you like.
I made a video of how I make it and explain the Instant Pot buttons a bit for you here too, hope that helps. 😉
Watch how I make this healthy soup from scratch!
Once you are familiar with cooking with dry beans you should try these other Instant Pot soup recipes using dry beans as well:
- Black eyed peas and ham in your pressure cooker
- Pressure cooker chili with dry beans
- Instant Pot split pea soup recipe
Pressure Cooker Ham and Beans
- 16 oz Northern beans dry beans
- 6 c water
- 32 oz chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 c ham diced
- 1/4 tsp salt optional
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- Rinse dry Northern or white beans under water, put them into your Instant Pot with your 6 cups of water.
- Put lid on, close steam valve, and set to bean setting for 30 minutes (if you want beans on the softer side set to 40 minutes).
- Do a quick release, drain beans and set aside.
- Add carrots, celery, diced ham, salt, diced onion, broth, and your beans into your pressure cooker. Stir gently.
- Put lid on, close steam valve, and set to pressure high for 10 minutes.
- Do a quick release, stir and serve!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉